PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

I use my twenty5.22 pair with Graham Slee Majestic pre and Proprius mono amps. I love the clarity and warmth. No shortage of grunt from 25W. My room isn’t cavernous, though. The best I’ve ever heard the 25.22 was off valves, though; Audio Research pre-power combo. It sang in a way I’d be a total fool for if I had the cash. Stunning.

2 minutes ago, AussieMick said:

I use my twenty5.22 pair with Graham Slee Majestic pre and Proprius mono amps. I love the clarity and warmth. No shortage of grunt from 25W. My room isn’t cavernous, though. The best I’ve ever heard the 25.22 was off valves, though; Audio Research pre-power combo. It sang in a way I’d be a total fool for if I had the cash. Stunning.

yes I think really worth considering with valves ... something i never did and should have :) I can imagine being a really nice combo ....

there are some gutsy valve duos too eg the arc mentioned or prima luna... these things with 30-70w on board seem to be able to drive some pretty decent speakers with ease ... 

My Twenty.23 sounds good on my Musical Fidelity A3.2CR, especially in terms of projecting a sound stage.

I haven't tried my PMCs on a tube amplifier, but I have tried my ATC SCM 19 on a Audio Research Vsi75 and it didn't sound warm at all. On my own amplifiers my ATCs sound warmer than my PMCs, so my expectation is to not get a warm sound with the PMC Twenty.23 on a Audio Research Vsi75.

Don't get me wrong, the Vsi75 sounds good, just not warm. At least to my ears.

ARC amps have been pretty close to neutral if looking more warmth probably looking at valve amps that play more in that place... ATCs are definitely not in the warm category either, id say also in the neutral space :)

19 minutes ago, betty boop said:

ARC amps have been pretty close to neutral if looking more warmth probably looking at valve amps that play more in that place... ATCs are definitely not in the warm category either, id say also in the neutral space :)

I think there are warmer sounding speakers, I just meant compared to my PMCs.

12 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Hi Everyone,
Have been a huge fan of this site for awhile now. And because of what's been written here, I've pulled the trigger on a pair of PMC twenty.23 speakers. Just waiting to sell my main speakers, and I'll get them delivered. So l guess l am now a member of this exclusive club.

Welcome to the club @needlerunner You WILL need a nice whiskey and fat cigar when you receive them.

Give them a good amount of room at the back and toe them in slightly. Them give them 50-100 hours to run in. I'm sure you'll love them.

What amp will you be running?

Hi BLAKEY

My amp is an oldie but a goodie.

It's an Arcam Delta 90.2 @ 70wpc.

I purchased it in 1990, used it for 5 years, and then l put it storage for 22 years, because the house I was living in didn't have the room. I moved into a new house 18 myths ago, and haven't looked back. You could say I've found my love of music once again. 

The only down side that my listening room is 14' x 12' and my existing speakers sounded, for want of a better word...muzzled. They need lots of room, both back, front and sides. What I have read on this thread , is that the PMCs are quite forgiving in this regard. Hoping so as l have purchased these speakers without hearing them.  I'm in WA and the speakers are in Melbourne. So have taken a punt on them, having heard not a single bad review on them.

I am hoping they have a simular engaging sound as the speakers I am currently using, but with an improvement in all areas. You might have some idea BLAKEY. The speakers in question are Whatmough Monitors 201.

I have recently rekindled my love of Prog, When I came across Marillion, who funnily enough l had never heard of till last year. Since then I've latched onto Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Thief, Steven Wilson and Fish.

Look forward to conversing with yourself and other PMC users and keeping everyone updated on these speakers progress, When I do get them (when I've sold the Whatmoughs).

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

yes I think really worth considering with valves ... something i never did and should have :) I can imagine being a really nice combo ....

there are some gutsy valve duos too eg the arc mentioned or prima luna... these things with 30-70w on board seem to be able to drive some pretty decent speakers with ease ... 

I'm thinking a Weston tube pre with an Exposure Classic XXIII power amp in the future. Nice warm, detailed sound I'd say...

• Like 1

My room is about the same size. I bought the smaller ones the 5.21 and i can tell you they are amazing. It outplays my tannoys and monitor adios and dont has a clear open sound.
I run however the rotel 1590 series on them and looks like they want some power behind them.

51 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

The only down side that my listening room is 14' x 12' and my existing speakers sounded, for want of a better word...muzzled. They need lots of room, both back, front and sides. What I have read on this thread , is that the PMCs are quite forgiving in this regard.

I find my Twenty.23 is more forgiving in this regard than many other speakers, especially most rear ported ones.

If they are close to the side walls or back wall the sound stage gets less precise, but is still ok. If you move them close to the rear wall the bass power increases with less speed, however they still don't sound slow.

This is why I think it's less of an issue than with other speakers.

As an example my old Dynaudio Contour S1.4 LE sounded good in free space, but became unlistenable closer than 50cm from the rear wall. (in my opinion)

Hi Aidio_file, nice to chat.

That message was consistent throughout the thread. I will try them in the same spot as the Whatmoughs. Three from the back wall (maybe 2' ) and 2 foot on the left speaker and 18 inches for the right. Will toe them in slightly. Obviously I'll play around.

Problem is l have a CD cabinet on the right wall, and and my tv setup on the left. And a coffee table in the middle of the room. Can't do anything about that unfortunately. But if these speakers are a 15-20% improvement, I'll be very a very happy chappy. Not totally unhappy with the sound at present. Just that I've heard them sound better.

Both nervous and excited about these speakers. Never thought l would spend so much for speakers l have not heard.
These will be the most expensive speakers l have owned.

I remember when l settled on the Whatmoughs. It was 12 months of doing the rounds and listening. Still, Have a good feeling about this. Don't think I'll be disappointed.

Was hoping a member could give me some feedback between the two sets of speakers.

Got someone coming round tomorrow to listen to the Whatmoughs. Might get the PMCs sooner than l thought. [emoji16]

Well I listened to a pair of floorstanding Whatmoughs and then PMC's. The PMC's were a lot more detailed, transparent and faster. They do like a bit of power but saying that, I was running mine off an Exposure 75w/ch with no problems.

Plinius are the magic match imo but not cheap.

5 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Well I listened to a pair of floorstanding Whatmoughs and then PMC's. The PMC's were a lot more detailed, transparent and faster. They do like a bit of power but saying that, I was running mine off an Exposure 75w/ch with no problems.

Plinius are the magic match imo but not cheap.

Whatmough speakers were and still are, very over rated. If the PMC's at two to three times the price weren't better, one would have real cause for complaint. I have my own view on PMC speakers but I have zero desire to ruin the thread, so it is zip lip time.

Whatmough speakers were and still are, very over rated. If the PMC's at two to three times the price weren't better, one would have real cause for complaint. I have my own view on PMC speakers but I have zero desire to ruin the thread, so it is zip lip time.
Thanks everyone for your valid options.
Validates my decision. Before I snapped up the PMCs, I was looking at the MA Silver 300s, B&W 603 and KEF Q750.
I guess the consensus is that the PMC twenty.23 would blow them all out the water. So for the same money it appears that l have done a good deal. Just hope the amps up to it. The dealer said it should do the job.

Will keep everyone informed.
Will ask plenty of questions of members who are far more informed then me.
Again thanks. Great thread.

1 hour ago, rantan said:

Don't get me wrong, Colin makes some good speakers. They just weren't what I was after. I was lucky too. Picked up my PMC's for $1700 new.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Don't get me wrong, Colin makes some good speakers. They just weren't what I was after. I was lucky too. Picked up my PMC's for $1700 new.

Yes.

They are definitely OK, but are best described as journeyman than rock stars.?

1 hour ago, gillmaverick said:

Anyone has experience running PMC  Twenty or Twenty Five series speakers with Vincent SV-237MK hybrid amp .

Running my 25.26's off a sp331mk power and a sa98 pre. Sounds pretty good to me. 

2 hours ago, rantan said:

Yes.

They are definitely OK, but are best described as journeyman than rock stars.?

Yeah, agreed. Nice description :) Now I haven't myself heard PMC's with that Vincent amp though I have read one or two people using the combo with very good results. 

When you say your opinion on PMC I'll be honest. I have heard a number of models and there have been a few that didn't particularly appeal. 

Dear friends, Hello from Greece. Happy PMC owner twenty5.26 and now that 
I read all the thread from the beginning and opened my speakers at 2.60m 
(speaker centers) I became thrilled with incredible smiles !!
 In reinforcing I followed the recommendation of PMC and went to Bryston. 
Although with the 180 watts of the onkyo TX-RZ3100 av in a two-way audition 
they went joyously, but deep inside of me, 
I realized they wanted plenty of food and a little better control.
These few of me for beginning and I was very pleased to find you !!:) :)

Hello Kanakiani, and welcome to SNA. Many PMC owners would gladly share their experiences with you all PMC. I heard the Bryston 4B3 cubed amp with the 25.26's recently, fine combo indeed.

The Cubed series Brystons so much better than the older models, which sounded flatter, not as inviiting I believe.