blakey72

PMC Speaker owners thread

Hi. This might have been done before but doing a search for PMC brings up nothing. Just wondering who on SNA owns PMC speakers? What do you think of them? Have you heard better and and you wanting to change to something different? And most importantly, what amplification are you using with them and are you happy with it?

Cheers

Blakey.

@@Stereophilus has a set and they are VERY impressive.

I'd be happy with them.

Edited by Steam

Yes, I'm very privileged to own the MB2se's. They are very hard to fault, although the other half usually finds a way...

I know that their heritage is studio monitors, and this is reflected in many of their core traits, which as I see it are; accuracy across the freq range, massive dynamics, honest midrage, minimal concern to positioning. Some of the range also reflect that less aesthetically concerned heritage too.

In the recent amp shootout that I hosted they were easily able to display the sonic attributes of the paired equipment, whilst also managing to convey the emotion of the music.

I'm won't be selling mine for a good long time! If ever.

Hi Blakey

I have Twenty 22s and until recently was happy with them. We just moved house and the lounge is both bigger and a weird shape. We now love the 22s, the base is now more detailed and deeper. Hearing instruments in music that weren't there before. Been reading up on acoustic treatments latly as am starting to think the room has a much bigger effect on the sound that just the sum of the hifi bits in it.

I drive them with a yamaha A-S1000, I am happy with it but haven't tryed anything else so can't comment on whether there would be better amps for them.

Recently heard some paradigm S2 that impressed me, but I think if I was looking to upgrade it would be to some floorstanders, Twenty 26s would be nice. One power ball

Hi Blakey.

I have a pair of TB2i's in my second system. Amps are a pretty old pair of Nakamichi separates - CA5/PA5 (100w), which drive them well. Great set of monitors. Pretty hard to fault in their price range and for what they do. Accurate, flexible with regards music styles and positioning, and clean bass that goes pretty deep for their size. My primary system now has a set of SGR MT3.2's, so not going to compare as not in the same universe price wise.

Blakey,

Got a pair of PMC TB2i and I love 'em. PMC bass, due to transmission line, is unique - fast, tuneful, unforced, musical, uncongested, and can reach low. They have huge sound-stage when positioned proper, i.e. wide apart, just a little toe in, they disappear. Very musical, also find them natural sounding across the entire frequency range, little on the warmer side. They pair very well with the Luxman amp I have, actually it's a perfect match. Recently bi-wired them and found they improved.

Blaine

Edited by audioaddict78

Thanks for the replies everyone. Great to hear you also are enjoying the PMC sound. Seems that the owners circle on SNA seems to be quite small. Surprising since how good these speakers perform. Maybe some people don't like their studio sounding signature. I love it myself, I want to hear the music as it was meant to be heard by the producers.

Blake.

I'm not a PMC owner but the twenty.22 and twenty.23 both impressed when I auditioned them. The bass went impressively low for their compact size and the overall presentation was open and dynamic.

Was reasonably impressed when I auditioned them a few years back.

The individual drivers' sound was exquisite, but let down by the built-in crossovers, and the slightly loose tuning on the TL trying to play too low.

Overall, pretty good though.

Ive got the PMC OB1 model with a NAP250.2 driving them in a very big room. I love the sound and they have  a reasonably high WAF as well. At the pricepoint I couldn't find anything better and 4 years on still happy although I would love to have been able to fit the big Harbeths in my hifi area.

Oh another question I have is which speaker cable do you prefer to run with them?

Ooooooh PMCs! Yum! I got a pair of OB1s second hand here on SNA knowing only that I liked the sound of the FB1i speakers I tried in a shop beforehand. As soon as they were hooked up I was hooked, too! They are nothing short of fantastic with audio, AV, simple, complex, acoustic, electronic, rock and DVD soundtracks. Transmission line speakers appeal to my ears!

I had heard that they were monitors ("Professional Monitor Company", duh!) and was worried that they would sound very flat and austere, possibly cold. I was assuaged somewhat by the FB1 test but still a little apprehensive. Need not have been: I find them plenty warm enough due to that low, fast bass whilst still revealing in the mid-range. Far apart, slight toe-in works fine for all of my listening points; in fact they do really just disappear: even in a DVD SFX like a car driving off left to right you don't think "oh that's a good effect" you actually watch the car go off-screen and keep watching it... No? Just me? Oh well...

I powered them initially with a 100W Arcam Alpha 10 and it all sounded good. I attributed some of the warmth to the amp. However, a pair of class D W4S monoblocks power the speakers now - not generally noted for being warm, apparently - but the sound is still wonderful. More controlled, tighter, perhaps and will go loud with little effort but still warm enough and revealing. Extra watts has produced more from the PMCs but it was not an essential upgrade; I could happily have lived with the Arcam running the show (it still does, as a pre-amp).

More recently I have picked up a pair of PMC bookshelf speakers for my second (vinyl) system and had no qualms doing so. Not had a lot of time with them yet, but they have not disappointed. I will be keeping PMCs in my house for the rest of my natural unless there is one hell of an increase either in price-performance out there or in my finances in here...

Having owned GB1's ( thanks VMHF), OB1's and now MB2S-P's i can say without hesitation they are the real deal when it comes to reproduction.

Drunken post removed :)

Edited by sjay

I've a pair of Gb1i speakers running off Graham Slee Proprius mono-blocks with Slee Spatia speaker cable and links. Awesome weight/slam and detail for their size. 

In all its glory:

16808148682_085134f630_b.jpg

I've quite enjoyed them actually. Slightly different presentation to the Dyns; a bit clearer through the midrange, definitely more detail up top and bass that extends deeper (but with less midbass "bounce"). I do like the "emotion" that the Dyns impart to the midrange however - the PMCs are slightly more honest. 

Here's a few pics. Not good quality, sorry.

post-110116-0-69071300-1432532503_thumb.

post-110116-0-97059100-1432532565_thumb.

post-110116-0-46749100-1432533032_thumb.

Blake.

I have a pair of very badly set up and fed (Sonos) TB2s in the kitchen which I expect will still be there in 20 years time.  (Mine are domestic walnut, not like Blake's industrial ones)  It's such an appalling room for slap echo that it's remarkable I can hear anything. But they give a good all round account of everything from hip hop to tango to the living tombstone that I no complain.

I hanker for a pair of the MB2 family.  But the house isn't big enough, fortunately for my wedded state.  Heard 'em at the audio show a couple of years back and they punch in a good way.

Should say I spose that I like transmission lines: the kid is minding a pair of TDL RTL3s for me, and always liked IMF too.

Edited by k-k-k-kenny

Blakey,

Got a pair of PMC TB2i and I love 'em. PMC bass, due to transmission line, is unique - fast, tuneful, unforced, musical, uncongested, and can reach low. They have huge sound-stage when positioned proper, i.e. wide apart, just a little toe in, they disappear. Very musical, also find them natural sounding across the entire frequency range, little on the warmer side. They pair very well with the Luxman amp I have, actually it's a perfect match. Recently bi-wired them and found they improved.

Blaine

Do you Bi Wire your Lux using A+B speakers, I found this made a massive difference to the Kef R300

I have a pair of DB1's and am trying to find a pair of the wall brackets /mounts. Does anyone have a pair for sale?

Was just looking at HappyDogs pics and spotted his Rel T5's....just got a pair of these myself and wow what a difference. My little DB1's are now in serious competition with my Sonus Faber grand pianos!

Deleted thread

Edited by blakey72