KEF KHT 3005 speaker setup

Hey guys,

I currently have some tower style Wharfedale 200W speakers whcih in my eyes/ears are the bees knees......but girls being girls, and moving to a medium/small lunge room, they have been given an eviction notice due to their size and meacing appearance....which as much as i hate to say it, isn't too far off the mark. :o

So i've been hunting for 2nd hand B&W 602's which are pretty rare, and buy the time i get 2 sets, a centre and matching sub, i'm probably looking around $1500 and up for decent ones.

I've been passing on the cube style speakers (bose) as i have a mental block, won't even listen to em casue they can't really push that much air can they?

So i stumbled on the KEF KHT3005's which seem to be a decent compramise, stil small and stylish but on the bigger side of 'little' speakers.

Anyone got any?

And if you're familiar with these, what's the difference between the stand 3005's and the 3005 SE's which are another $500-$600 but 'look' exactly the same????

THanks guys.

Birnie :)

Hi Birnie, as far as I can tell, the Kefs are a good piece of kit. Certainly better than bose(=woes). Not sure about the difference between the standard and SE arrangement but I can tell you that Eastwood Hi Fi (find them online) have a good deal on some of these ATM. And they are a good bunch to deal with.

Anyway welcome to the commune of like minded weirdos:rolleyes:. Here you will find answers to questions you never thought existed. Enjoy your search:)

ahhh but have you heard the Kef's? :)

I've helped two people get their HT's sorted with the kef3005's + mid level Yamaha receiver. One set up in a small apartment sized room and the other in a mid sized rumpus, both of which work very well. I do prefer the kef's over the focal cub sib combo which I've also heard.

The SE was available when I bought both sets of kef's and to my ears the difference isn't worth the price premium. I think the SE has an 'improved' tweeter, but otherwise very similar.

Steve at www.eastwoodhifi.com.au is doing pretty good deals on them and is worth an email, or two.

thanks guys,

I bought my Marantz Amp of Eastwood a few years ago cause their Bargains section can't be passed up.

...but the KEF's in silver just won't suit unfortunately.

Has to be black.

Considering getting em off amazon (US) and getting em shipped.

I too preferred the black...until I handled one in person and ended up having to wipe off all the scummy marks I left behind :) Granted once set up it's not likely you'll be fondling them often :o It definitely is the slicker colour. Happy hunting!

Well i listened to a set yesterday in a shop, demo room.

He really didn't press them too hard and i think it was cause they probably can't take it.

Now i do think that owning tower wharfedales isn't helping the decision cause theKEFs are certainly lacking somthing, probably just the expected trade off from getting cubestyle speakers..The sub sounded good though.

I think I'm going to ditch the idea and go back to my original choice which was B&W 602's up front, that way i'll still be pushing some decent air.

Rears i'm undecided.

Might even go for some in-wall (white covers) speakers.

Except i know absolutely nothing about these, as we seem to be in a new land of brands? Whats with that?

Hmmmm, more investigations.......

Cheers peeps

That's half the fun...auditioning and going on the hunt :rolleyes: shame they didn't come good for you, however I am a little suprised.

Happy hunting.

ps, there are a few threads on in ceiling and wall mounted speakers so there's info to be had here on them also :D gluck!

I too preferred the black...until I handled one in person and ended up having to wipe off all the scummy marks I left behind :rolleyes: Granted once set up it's not likely you'll be fondling them often :D It definitely is the slicker colour. Happy hunting!

Hi Nolz, am fairly new to the forum, and wanted to ask of your opinion on the M-Cubes?