gainphile

Netflix currently watching

Flowers is good but a bit weird.

Bodyguard, The Fall and Missing were all good series. 

I like that they don't try to milk them too much - there is a start and end, unlike some (Lost - gave up after season 3)

21 hours ago, groovem said:

new on Netflix, green guide gave it a thumbs up. First few episodes had that rapid editing I detest and I thought it was trying a mite too hard but….. then it’s setting up the characters.

It settles down a couple more in then really hits its stride. Goes to some dark places. Olivia Colman is excellent as usual.

Flowers

< A dark, quirky British comedy whose cast is led by The Mighty Boosh’s Julian Barrett and Oscar-winner Olivia Colman? You need not twist my arm! But Flowers is not a show that is immediately easy to like, but is a reward for those who stick with it. It initially has the trappings of a classic black comedy — the opening scene is of Barrett’s children’s book author Maurice trying to hang himself and the branch breaking to save him— but as it continues it reveals itself more as a closed-in emotional horror. It is also a series that intensely depicts ongoing struggles with mental illness.

The off-putting Channel 4 series, which runs for 2 seasons of 12 half-hour episodes on Netflix in the U.S., focuses on the Flowers family. There’s the aforementioned author Maurice, who created a dark, Edward Gorey-esque book series called Grubbs, and who is experiencing a major depressive episode. His upbeat wife, Deborah (Colman) can’t understand why her family is constantly going off the rails, and she flirts with local builders trying to win back some of the attention her gloomy husband no longer provides. The couple have 25-year-old twins who live at home with them: tinkerer and failed inventor Donald (Daniel Rigby), and Amy (Sophia Di Martino), a reclusive goth musician. The setup is already one full of cartoonish personalities, which then brings us to Shun, an extreme caricature of a Japanese illustrator that feels uncomfortably racist.

And yet, Shun is played by the series’ writer, director, and creator, Will Sharpe. There’s then a question about whether Sharpe is purposefully leaning in to stereotypes in order to subvert them, or if the humor is just meant to be wildly off-color. As Flowers continues, it begins to matter less and less. The characters are large, their bust-ups are always massively dissonant, but underneath the noise Flowers hits on some intense truths. In the first season, Barrett is extraordinary as a man who is desperately sad, yet comes to his own terms that there is no changing it. Deborah doesn’t accept this, even though there are moments where she really tries. Maurice can’t articulate what he feels or why, and flatly though sincerely tells Deborah he loves her without knowing anymore how to show her. She’s frustrated and he’s embarassed, and there is a particularly intense subplot regarding a neighbor whose wife committed suicide years before by cutting herself open. “I carry this knife around to remind me,” he says, brandishing it at Maurice. “Of how hard it was.” He misses his wife, and yet, life with her was chaotic and difficult. When Maurice’s depression is brought to light, it’s mostly tough love, with him being told he’s a selfish **** and cripplingly boring. He doesn’t disagree, but it also helplessly enrages him.

Maurice is not the only one of the Flowers who struggles — they’re all struggling in their own ways. In the first season, there are occasional gothic sequences where we see Amy’s vision of the world around her. It’s spooky and full of ties to an ancient people she feels connected to which inspires her music, but adds another dimension when she falls in love with the beautiful Abigail (Georgina Campbell). But Amy’s fights with her brother Donald, who also loves Abigail (Abigail, it should be noted, prefers Amy), are examples of the violent shifts in tone the series goes through, not all of which work. But it takes admirably bold swings as it vacillates wildly from a quirky comedy full of unusual characters to a deeply strange and rather haunting portrait of a family exhausted from emotional turmoil. They scream at each other but love each other. Amy bullies Donald, and in response he’s mean, petty, and arrogant. But when she needs him, he is always there to help. He yells at her that he cares about her and that she’s a *****. >

regards Ian

I mainly didn't get the 18th century flashback scenes.

On 25/07/2019 at 4:46 PM, groovem said:

Ever since The Mighty Boosh days, have not seen a thing Julian Barrat did which I didn't like. There was a great spoof film on Netflix a while back Mindhorn or some such silly title, where a washed up 70s cop show star (guess who) has to come out of retirement to battle an actual serial killer.

image.png.c641da4fd86677d378b265c6e047c44a.png

I only saw 3 eps of Flowers and I already think it's absolute gold.

I like the throwback/retro/nostalgia/coming-of-age/mystery Goonies/ET/Ghostbusters/Breakfast Club/Aliens/Close Encounters/Pretty in Pink mish-mash that is the STRANGER THINGS. As in - I really liked the first 2 seasons, was glad to see the 3rd season was available a few weeks back, however cannot bring myself to press play and start watching.

Also 2nd season of The Mindhunter will apparently be available sometime in August.... yaaaaay!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, zippi said:

I like the throwback/retro/nostalgia/coming-of-age/mystery Goonies/ET/Ghostbusters/Breakfast Club/Aliens/Close Encounters/Pretty in Pink mish-mash that is the STRANGER THINGS. As in - I really liked the first 2 seasons, was glad to see the 3rd season was available a few weeks back, however cannot bring myself to press play and start watching.

Also 2nd season of The Mindhunter will apparently be available sometime in August.... yaaaaay!

Hit play. Stranger Things season 3 is great fun. Not as good as season 1 but much better than 2 to my memory

Edited by RankStranger

16/08 to be exact. Can’t wait!

On 27/07/2019 at 1:36 PM, RankStranger said:

Hit play. Stranger Things season 3 is great fun. Not as good as season 1 but much better than 2 to my memory

Yeah season 1 was still the best, “an unknown evil” 

Season 3 is more a fun but still dark (dark fun), Cold War and 80s memorabilia galore.   Yeah second best season.

not sure it needs season 4 which could be setup on Kamchatka pensinula in eastern siberia.

I have been watching 

“another life”, sci-fi drama only released last week, staring an older Katee Sackhoff of Battlestar Galactica fame.

“The last Czars” on the Romanovs, one of those hybrids like Rome, where they intersperse documentary style commentators followed by a drama segment, then back to the commentary.  This is well done, but I am not sure I have warmed to this style of programming.

“Baki” anime series that is violent but great fun with a sense of humour.  The worlds greatest fighters and martial artists fighting in the streets of Tokyo a type of UFC.  I sense of humour required for the send up of Karate and other martial terminology.

On 27/07/2019 at 3:36 PM, RankStranger said:

Have to agree with you there, S3 was very much better than S2.

Just finished watching 'The Boys' on Amazon, and really enjoyed it, as did my beloved, despite the continual swearing by Karl Urban. Basically in a world where superheroes are the norm, one in every town, and enjoy the darker side of their massive celebrity and fame. The Boys centres on a group of an ex military group  known informally as “The Boys,” who set out to take down the corrupt superheroes with no more than their blue-collar grit and a willingness to scrap with the corporation that 'sponsors' them.

New series of Derry Girls due in a couple of days.

38 minutes ago, vagabond said:

New series of Derry Girls due in a couple of days.

tho whole thing is great, but for me the highlight is seeing/hearing Tommy Tiernan sporadically. I can feel his brand of humor throughout the show. it's a gem alright.

I just finished watching “Exposed, the case of Keli Lane” another one of those stories that you can see it either way. Make me wish the human race in general could just stick to the truth. 

I watched stand up by Whitney Cummings last night, very funny lady :thumb:

Cool!

'WU Assassins' is up on netflix, love watching Iko Uwais's Silat :ninja:

Will watch that later after spinning a few tunes first.