gainphile

Netflix currently watching

I hope this series continues.  It's the most interesting series I've come across in years.  To many Netflix series are formulaic. :(

9 minutes ago, MattyW said:

I hope this series continues.  It's the most interesting series I've come across in years.  To many Netflix series are formulaic. :(

Just wondering what series you are referring to? Do you mean many Netflix watchers feel that Netflix series are formulaic?

Cheers Keith

Will watch Altered Carbon 2 soon. Just dropped Stan in favour of Prime as the Mrs. asked.

I still have seasons 3 and 4 of The Expanse to watch. If I can get enough telly time.

9 minutes ago, Batty said:

Will watch Altered Carbon 2 soon. Just dropped Stan in favour of Prime as the Mrs. asked.

I still have seasons 3 and 4 of The Expanse to watch. If I can get enough telly time.

I decided to watch Altered Carbon S1 again and glad I did with about 3 episodes to go. I think it will help with watching S2 in the next couple of days.

Cheers Keith

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cheekyboy said:

Just wondering what series you are referring to? Do you mean many Netflix watchers feel that Netflix series are formulaic?

Cheers Keith

No, just that I feel a large number of the series are formulaic. Very similar with a different spin. Every now and again something like altered carbon comes out and breaks the mould.

Kind of like when the move "Limitless" came out. That was pretty cool too. A new concept is often fantastic in a movie though becomes repetitive and boring as a TV series. Kind of like how a good book often makes for a poor movie as there's simply too much to fit in, whereas a simplistic book often can be adapted into quite a good movie.

Just a statement of my own feelings on things, by no means representative of anyone else....   :)

Edited by MattyW

Just watched the ZZ Top doco

Very good!

On 02/03/2020 at 1:36 PM, zippi said:

Babylon Berlin (Season 3)

I agree I think it got a little lost during Season 2 and the scene with the car/river (don't want to spoil for those that haven't seen it) I found bordering on the silly, but I'll be back for Season 3 definitely.  The story is preposterous but the feel of the times is not bad. It's a pity R.W. Fassbinder isn't around for the current TV series phenomenon, he'd be great.

Yay! Part 2 of Paradise PD

It's so wrong It's right!

2 hours ago, allthumbs said:

I agree I think it got a little lost during Season 2 and the scene with the car/river (don't want to spoil for those that haven't seen it) I found bordering on the silly, but I'll be back for Season 3 definitely.  The story is preposterous but the feel of the times is not bad. It's a pity R.W. Fassbinder isn't around for the current TV series phenomenon, he'd be great.

Yeah, the plot does have a few anomalies/outlandish bits/simplifications for dramatic effect and keeping it ticking over. Some problematic ones - such as the train - are just a big (perhaps a bit cumbersome) metaphor.

However the feel of hustle and bustle of late 1920's "pre-nazi era" Berlin seems so well done, that the show got under my skin within minutes. Also political volatility of the Weimar era is straight outta history books, and superbly fleshed out and real.

Just watched the ZZ Top doco, it is worth a watch.

Loved the ZZ Top special, didn't know much about them before Eliminator.

They certainly knew how to reinvent themselves.

On 03/03/2020 at 2:27 PM, Batty said:

As Nike are wont to say, Just Do It. Best science fiction show ever, imho.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, will watch it on my PC... 27" is enough.

Watched the last episode of Altered Carbon, ready for season 2 now,

Edited by Batty

"Deliver us from Evil" with Eric Banner, not bad even if I'm not really into horror flix.

"Spencer Confidential" was a fun ride as lots of Mark's movies are.

"Kilo Two Bravo" was horrifying but not horror.

https://www.milesdavismovie.com/

the birth of the cool - miles davis doco

On 20/02/2020 at 6:37 PM, muon* said:

Re-watching Better Than Us.

Really hanging out for the next season of this.

Why wife and I are  just up to episode 6 and are fully hooked.   What a wonderful production.   I find this Russian made series  doesn't have the usual formula or predictability  of  so many US series. 

Posted (edited)

Gentefied, yep that's the way it's spelt

Thought it was gong to be about prodigal son comes home to save the family restaurant, but it's more than that.

You'll need to give it a couple of episodes

Edited by turnthetable
spelling

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, turnthetable said:

Gentified, yep that's the way it's spelt

Yet the trailer is spelling it 'Gentefied'.:unsure:

Edited by cheekyboy

Posted (edited)

oops! and fixed

Edited by turnthetable

Just finished season one of Damnation, was good but again like with many show it was very violent.

In fact now I have a new class of listing on netflix titled "violent" :S

On Netflix. Recommended. Anthony Hopkins' acting is, as usual, superb. Some Italian, Spanish and Latin, but most dialogue in English.

From Wikipedia:

"The Two Popes is a 2019 biographical drama film directed by Fernando Meirelles and written by Anthony McCarten, adapted from McCarten's play The Pope which premiered at Royal & Derngate Theatre in 2019.[3][4] Predominantly set in the Vatican City in the aftermath of the Vatican leaks scandal, the film follows Pope Benedict XVI, played by Anthony Hopkins, as he attempts to convince Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, played by Jonathan Pryce, to reconsider his decision to resign as an archbishop as he confides his own intentions to abdicate the papacy."

Not your average rock concert

1AE39520-CCB1-43B5-8C38-778EE09644A4.jpeg

image.jpg

On 07/03/2020 at 4:15 PM, Tony ray said:

Loved the ZZ Top special, didn't know much about them before Eliminator.

They certainly knew how to reinvent themselves.

Always been a ZZ fan but love how their beards were an accident and not a forced marketing stunt, didn’t know that before the doco but just perfect timing, finished off that 80’s futuristic image And sound Eliminator and Afterburner Embodied.

Tiger King - doco about US big cat zoo owners. Wow, you couldn't make this up it is that whacked out. Its a train wreck you just can't look away from. Mullets, guns, polygamists, felons, meth and tigers. Not necessarily in that order.

How much is fact, and how much is sensationalist fiction based around rumors without evidance?