gainphile

Netflix currently watching

On 08/11/2019 at 11:03 PM, 08Boss302 said:

Two episodes into the devil next door 

Heavy viewing, but amazing 

Finished this 5 part limited series.

True story and well worth a watch.  Some confronting images of history but a good docuseries none the less.

Guest Muon N'

Ah crap! been up all night watching this, It's compelling as each ep' leaves you hanging, gawd damn it!

stranger things is a good watch . .  .. the last series gets a little adolescent but its not a deal breaker.

Looking forward to the following.

The Witcher

The expanse S4 (whatever one we are up to)

final series of "the man in the high castle"

Not all on netflix i realise

On 24/10/2019 at 11:50 PM, Muon N' said:

Watching 'Travelers'

As usual with scifi, need to gloss over scientific inaccuracies even beyond the main story line of the show, but otherwise OK.

I didn’t get through the 1st season of travellers.  Sci-fi typically  starts with a lot of promise but falls apart due to the death of a thousand cuts (eg stupid plots, ridiculous ideas, invincible aliens becoming pushovers etc)

in this case it wasn’t bad I just seemed to lose interest and haven’t gone back to pick up again.

Guest Muon N'
4 minutes ago, Demondes said:

I didn’t get through the 1st season of travellers.  Sci-fi typically  starts with a lot of promise but falls apart due to the death of a thousand cuts (eg stupid plots, ridiculous ideas, invincible aliens becoming pushovers etc)

in this case it wasn’t bad I just seemed to lose interest and haven’t gone back to pick up again.

Yeah, same thing plagues me at times with some shows, some like travelers just passed the test for me, but like always I had to ignore my understanding in science to continue the ride after the start of the first ep.

Just finished "Living With Yourself"
Really good watch and makes you wonder about the future when these kinds of situations may actually arise... 

On 18/11/2019 at 11:17 AM, Bcdesign said:

Just finished "Living With Yourself"
Really good watch and makes you wonder about the future when these kinds of situations may actually arise... 

I've seen 3-4 episodes of "Living With Yourself" and like it very much. The multi perspective collage approach to story telling, especially in this medium "dramedy" series is genius, also well executed - the male lead really made for Paul Rudd and the female lead Aisling Bea crossing over from the standup comedy so well.

And to top it all off, the plot - while in the realm of understated sci-fi - could well be happening in familiar neighborhoods right now (in its non sci fi elements on a personal level). Also I've seldom seen anything that's as creepy and hilarious at once as those Korean/American doctors (are they doctors or just entrepreneurs? dunno).

Yeah. I agree. The role was really made for him!

I do enjoy the format too. Not too hard to follow.

Keep watching! The final episode, while maybe a little predictable is a great cliffhanger to leave it on. Can’t wait for 2nd season.

It’s a little annoying seasons are so short these days, especially when they release all episodes at once.

The End of the "Fxxxing" World season 2

Really enjoyed season 1

Season 2 not so much (so far)

On 22/11/2019 at 2:02 PM, turnthetable said:

The End of the "Fxxxing" World season 2

Really enjoyed season 1

Season 2 not so much (so far)

Season 1 was so much fun. Season 2 was very disappointing!

Edited by MoveD

Anyone watched The King? I’m on the fence. The way the weedy dude is swinging his sword like he’s playing backyard ninja in the preview is kinda putting me off it. 

1 hour ago, deviltoob said:

Anyone watched The King? I’m on the fence. The way the weedy dude is swinging his sword like he’s playing backyard ninja in the preview is kinda putting me off it. 

It's not without flaws, however a great take on the Shakespeare plays (Henry IV, Part 1, and Henry IV, Part 2.) and a great film in it's own right. A definite "Michod" stamp on it and a great effort by the other key Aussies involved.

Edited by zippi

On 01/12/2019 at 9:12 AM, MoveD said:

Season 1 was so much fun. Season 2 was very disappointing!

Glad it's not just me.

Wife and daughter both think it's as good as season 1

Guest Muon N'

Binge watched Bad Blood, found it very enjoyable.

Nearly finished The Inbetweeners, silly but funny.

The Crown (season 3)

Season 3 is as good as the others, if a little darker. What a crazy life the Royals live. The Queen herself is amazing. We will never see her like again. I doubt that the monarchy will survive for too much longer, but when it inevitably does go, we will be just a little poorer. The idea that there is someone 'above' self-serving politicians....someone who can put them in their place, is really quite appealing.

A great series.

Hinterland * * * *

https://www.netflix.com/au/title/70305043

< Forsaking London for the rustic landscapes of Wales, a police detective with a troubled soul finds himself in a place with secrets as dark as his own. >

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/richard-harrington-on-hinterland-series-3-poldark-lark-rise-to-candleford-a7664551.html

binge watched vikings S5 during the week and The Expanse S4 yesterday

Both truly excellent shows.

Cant wait for the witcher this weekend

13 hours ago, steffanth said:

binge watched vikings S5 during the week and The Expanse S4 yesterday

Both truly excellent shows.

Cant wait for the witcher this weekend

Trying to save The Expanse for those lazy Xmas days when you don't want to move.

Just now, Tony ray said:

Trying to save The Expanse for those lazy Xmas days when you don't want to move.

I've had a few lazy days recently with a buggered back. The Expanse has been a godsend. Really enjoying it

"It's not without flaws, however a great take on the Shakespeare plays (Henry IV, Part 1, and Henry IV, Part 2.) and a great film in it's own right. A definite "Michod" stamp on it and a great effort by the other key Aussies involved. "

My thoughts as well, although it was a new take on Falstaff (not such a bad thing, contrary to most I am not a huge fan of the bard's Falstaff). Updates to Shakespeare are well worth the effort as it may be a way of introducing new discoverers to Shakespeare. 

Something about Worthington grates with me and I'm not sure what it is. 

He seems to be a fan of Shakespeare and his earlier Macbeth was a valiant attempt, so I give him a thumbs up.

Apropos Shakespeare, although not streaming I watched a DVD from the library of All is True, about the last 3 years of Shakespeare's life after retiring from the theatre.  Directed and starring Kenneth Branagh, with Judy Dench and Ian Mackellen, written by Ben Elton.  Shot in 30 days on a shoestring budget.  I liked it very much.

Exeunt.

Woops, Joel Edgerton not Sam Worthington. My apologies.  I find something grating about the both though!

Ben Mendelsohn was excellent and seems to be a fixed cast member of everything Netflix, and the guy who played the King of France was excellent.

2 hours ago, allthumbs said:

Apropos Shakespeare, although not streaming I watched a DVD from the library of All is True, about the last 3 years of Shakespeare's life after retiring from the theatre.  Directed and starring Kenneth Branagh, with Judy Dench and Ian Mackellen, written by Ben Elton.  Shot in 30 days on a shoestring budget.  I liked it very much.

Heard of it - not seen yet. Will check it out soon-ish.

Re: The King (2019)

....although it was a new take on Falstaff (not such a bad thing, contrary to most I am not a huge fan of the bard's Falstaff). Updates to Shakespeare are well worth the effort as it may be a way of introducing new discoverers to Shakespeare. 

In all the previous incarnations of Falstaff (that I've seen) - his vices and shortcomings are leaned on overly heavily (age of propriety/outrage/whatever I guess), whereas the true value of Falstaff is the dichotomy of vices and straight talk/underlying honesty and no BS. Exactly the way Edgerton played it. I also loved Mendelsohn as King Henry IV and Sean Harris as the Machiavellian character William Gascoigne, as well as Thibault de Montalembert as King Charles VI.

He seems to be a fan of Shakespeare and his earlier Macbeth was a valiant attempt, so I give him a thumbs up.

Not sure I've seen Edgerton in Macbeth. There was a 2015 Justin Kurzel film (director of Snowtown) version of Macbeth with Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard, which was outstanding start to finish.

Updates to Shakespeare are well worth the effort as it may be a way of introducing new discoverers to Shakespeare.

I think we find ourselves in the times that are more Shakespearean than ever - hence a clear opportunity to explore the present day issues through Shakespeare updates/fresh looks/fresh takes on the subject matter. And these efforts are much appreciated.

Edited by zippi