17 hours ago, muon* said:

Stranger Things is one of the best things to come out in recent times, maybe further than recent :) I'm keen to see more seasons, I live with hope!

Did you watch Enola Holmes?

But you said you can only stomach "butterflies and rainbows"?! Haha, ST is far from that! It's creepy af and scary at times.

I don't like horror, but ST has enough other cool aspects that I want to keep watching. And it's more strange and creepy, than horror. Love the soundtrack and score too.

I watched a couple more episodes last night and am keen to find out more about the mysterious goings on! Such a pleasant surprise for something I expected not to like, to find out it's brilliant.

Reminds me a bit of The Outsider, which was also really good. Big fan of Ben Mendelsohn who is a main character in that. Jason Bateman is also a favourite, but isn't in the series for long. Think that was on HBO/Fox Showcase.

I haven't seen Enola Holmes yet, but will soon after googling it. I love the Sherlock Holmes films, so hope this is similarly enjoyable.

Edited by Esoterica
  • Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All,   For those interested The Expanse Series 4 is scheduled to begin streaming on Amazon Prime on December 13.     JJ

Hi All,   Watching the 4th Series of The Last Kingdom, loosely based on the post death goings on in Britain after the death of Alfred, The Great.    Danes still marauding, there is

Hi All,   Watched 3 episodes of 'The Queen's Gambit', about a child chess prodigy, whose mother dies when she is 8 and she is placed in an orphanage. There she finds the handyman in the base

45 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

Thanks for the heads-up on Stranger Things. I've really enjoyed the first two episodes and more bingeing to come.

Millie Bobby Brown--age 16,  Emmy nominated, and already a producer. Talent+++

No worries. It's so binge-worthy huh? I'm loving it. It gets more mysterious by the episode!

And yes MBB is a star. I mainly know of here from seeing her entertaining interviews on Jimmy Fallon's show and it's amazing she's just a kid. I now have obviously seen her act too. Not sure if I've seen her in anything besides ST though, but will be watching Enola Holmes.

18 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

Hmm, I just find it too vanilla. I might watch more if I have nothing else to watch lol.

Up to you, mate, there's a lot of shows on these streaming networks that I didn't fancy much yet others really liked...............very subjective, so an awful lot like tastes in music.:lol:

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Esoterica said:

seeing her entertaining interviews on Jimmy Fallon's show

Automatic benching in the NF Thread. Jimmy boring as ....! Fallon. Lol.

There's a nice streaming service on an(occasionally) Russian based VPN called Notflix. Indie, leftwing and arty as, occasionally has to shift to different addresses but well worth the chase. If your eyes glaze over on the constant overload of the same formulaic mush the is NF (and others)...chase it up.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't watch Fallon's show, just the odd clip on youtube. Much prefer Conan.

Started watching a new show on Netflix - Space Force. Written by and starring Steve Carell, he plays a general, recently awarded a fourth star and chosen as the leader of a new military arm of the U.S DoD. 

John Malkovich also stars, and Lisa Kudrow plays Carell's wife. Fred Willard (Carell's dad) and Jane Lynch (Head of Navy) are good in it. Carell is funnier than ever, and his relationship with Malkovich is hilarious. The latter plays the head scientist of the launch mission to get the Space Force rolling. Their constant butting of heads on aspects of the mission is great. 

I've also been watching more Stranger Things and still loving it, except the last episode I started watching where the plot diverges, I'm not keen on, but I think I see the point of it. It's around episode 6 in season 2, and follows Eleven's search for information about her past.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Watched 3 episodes of 'The Queen's Gambit', about a child chess prodigy, whose mother dies when she is 8 and she is placed in an orphanage. There she finds the handyman in the basement playing chess by himself and asks to learn, which she picks up quickly and by the time she is 13 is playing against multiple players at the local high school, and by 15 is the State Open Champion.

Some interesting pieces to the backstory of the orphanage and their use of drugs and control of the children.

JJ

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Recently I finished watching the last couple of seasons of Black MIrror (mostly good episodes, some great), and now watching Better Call Saul (finally!)

--Geoff 

• Like 4
On 26/10/2020 at 2:01 PM, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Watched 3 episodes of 'The Queen's Gambit', about a child chess prodigy, whose mother dies when she is 8 and she is placed in an orphanage. There she finds the handyman in the basement playing chess by himself and asks to learn, which she picks up quickly and by the time she is 13 is playing against multiple players at the local high school, and by 15 is the State Open Champion.

Some interesting pieces to the backstory of the orphanage and their use of drugs and control of the children.

JJ

This just gets better and better, totally addictive! Getting rave reviews. Features some greatt acting and superb

production design.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-queens-gambit-movie-review-2020

< When you read the words “Netflix limited drama series about addiction, obsession, trauma, and chess,” the first adjective which springs to mind is probably not “thrilling.” But here we are, and “The Queen’s Gambit,” Scott Frank’s adaptation of Walter Tevis’ coming-of-age novel of the same name, absolutely demands the use of “thrilling.” Anchored by a magnetic lead performance and bolstered by world-class acting, marvelous visual language, a teleplay that’s never less than gripping, and an admirable willingness to embrace contradiction and ambiguity, it’s one of the year’s best series. While not without flaws, it is, in short, a triumph. And it is satisfying not just as a compelling period drama, a character study, and a feast for the eyes. It’s also, at its heart, a sports movie wrapped up in the vestments of a prestige TV series. As yourself this: When is the last time you fist-pumped the air over chess? Isn’t that something you deserve? >

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/oct/23/the-queens-gambit-review-chess-anya-taylor-joy-walter-tevis-netflix

< As the tale of a woman who rises from discovering the game in an orphanage basement to the pinnacle of the chess world, Netflix’s new miniseries The Queen’s Gambit can’t really fail. When it’s based on the book of the same name by legendary short story writer and novelist Walter Tevis, upon whose work the films The Hustler, The Man Who Fell to Earth and The Color of Money were also based, the odds of success seem even higher. >

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 19/10/2020 at 11:47 AM, Esoterica said:

I've also been watching more Stranger Things and still loving it, except the last episode I started watching where the plot diverges, I'm not keen on, but I think I see the point of it. It's around episode 6 in season 2, and follows Eleven's search for information about her past.

I really enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 of Stranger Things. Was a bit luke-warm on season 3 though.

By all predictions Season 4 should be a cracker.

1 hour ago, Ian McP said:

“The Queen’s Gambit,”

Thanks @Janjuc and @Ian McP for recommending The Queen’s Gambit. Saw it added to Netflix line-up but didn't seem to stand out from the crowd of other content for me. Will give it a go now definitely. Cheers!

17 hours ago, zippi said:

I really enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 of Stranger Things. Was a bit luke-warm on season 3 though.

I've only watched 1 or 2 episodes of s3, but have gotten that impression too. It seems to have lost some of that magic that the first 2 seasons had, although I'm interested to see how the Russian thing plays out. 

• Like 1
On 26/10/2020 at 1:01 PM, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

JJ

We have now watched the complete mini series and it is easily one of the better series I have seen on Netflix for quite a while, Great acting and a excellent storyline. 

cheers,

Terry

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, glenm64 said:

And another for Queens Gambit.

And another.

I was mesmerised by it from the start and binge watched the whole series in two evenings.

• Like 1

On 31/10/2020 at 4:26 PM, TerryO said:

We have now watched the complete mini series and it is easily one of the better series I have seen on Netflix for quite a while, Great acting and a excellent storyline. 

cheers,

Terry

If only they could make movies this good!  Loved it from the start, and the ending was brilliant.   👍

Edited by Peter_F
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Peter_F said:

If only they could make movies this good!  Loved it from the start, and the ending was brilliant.   👍

Actually I now prefer mini series to movies, that way you get to enjoy several nights of excellent entertainment rather than just 2 hours.

Anyway it was a top story and excellent acting.

cheers,

Terry

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, TerryO said:

Actually I now prefer mini series to movies, that way you get to enjoy several nights of excellent entertainment rather than just 2 hours.

Anyway it was a top story and excellent acting.

cheers,

Terry

yep - agree.

• Like 1
On 26/10/2020 at 2:01 PM, Janjuc said:

Some interesting pieces to the backstory of the orphanage and their use of drugs and control of the children. [see original post for the embedded trailer]

This was recommended to me by someone at work today, and saw your post which encouraged me to watch it.  Have seen half now, will watch 3/4 of it before retiring tonight.  Excellent. 

Can anyone identify the two piano pieces played by the mother during the second episode?

• 2 weeks later...

Undercover: a slow burner, takes a few episodes before you definitely take a shine to it. You don't want to mess with these bad guys. Recommended

https://www.netflix.com/au/title/80225312

< Undercover agents infiltrate a drug kingpin's operation by posing as a couple at the campground where he spends his weekends. Inspired by real events. >

Speaking of Dark.

Manhunt Unabomber is quite good.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80176878 

Mindhunter, anything with Agent Olivia Dunhum is good for me.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80114855

Also liked the trial of Chicago 7.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81043755

And, Snowpiercer 

https://www.netflix.com/title/80177378

• Like 1

Just finished season 4 of the Crown.  Thought it was still good watching.

That led us to a 2 part series on Princess Dianna called "The Story of Dianna" it was done by her brother and it too was quite a good watch.  Certainly gave a very direct perspective to the issues between her and Royal family but also the Papparazzi and how she used them and ultimately got used by them.

Now onto the Queens Gambit, quite good after episode 1.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 17/12/2020 at 9:31 PM, metal beat said:

S5 of The Expanse is on Prime. 

Something to watch while in voluntary lockdown here on the Northern Beaches

dam you guys on the northern beaches, we’ve just had to cancel our holiday to Manly.😢

10 minutes ago, joz said:

dam you guys on the northern beaches, we’ve just had to cancel our holiday to Manly.😢

Although Manly is the best, you can go to Bondi way or the city.

Besides, not our fault - bloody flight crew that broke self isolation rules 😕

Hi All,

On 17/12/2020 at 9:31 PM, metal beat said:

S5 of The Expanse is on Prime. 

Something to watch while in voluntary lockdown here on the Northern Beaches

Pity there is currently only 3 episodes so far 😢😢😢

JJ

37 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Pity there is currently only 3 episodes so far 😢😢😢

JJ

I actually don't mind that.      stops the giant binges where you forget half of what happened.

they drop one per week from now on.

so far its been xclent.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, metal beat said:

Although Manly is the best, you can go to Bondi way or the city.

Besides, not our fault - bloody flight crew that broke self isolation rules 😕

Beggars belief that flight crew get quarantine exemptions after looking after possible contacts!

We did Avalon and Bondi last year but the kids just wanted Manly this year.

Anyhow of to Adelaide now🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
1 hour ago, joz said:

Anyhow of to Adelaide now🤷‍♂️

Markets up the end of Rundle Mall for Duck salami  Mr Joz😎👍

You know you want too. French fromage there as well...

Been watching a few things lately

enjoyed this new series..

This was good too, although I dont really like over dubbed language so watched it with subtitles on which is far better IMO

This one is a pretty long movie, good cast and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Also this, high action, high body count but its not a horror in that regard.

• 3 weeks later...

The Minions of Midas

https://www.netflix.com/au/title/81051782

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sheenascott/2020/11/21/the-minions-of-midas-slow-suspense-in-new-spanish-series-on-netflix/?sh=58c9f8043bd4

< Netflix released a new Spanish limited series on November 13 loosely adapting Jack London’s short story, The Minions of Midas. Set in a modern-day-looking Madrid, Los Favoritos de Midas, tells the story of a rich man being blackmailed with deadly consequences.

There is suspense and intrigue at a very slow pace that will test your attention span at times, but this is a great and very clever adaptation of a 1901 short story, transposing Jack London’s story to today’s Madrid and turning it into a political thriller. The series puts into question notions of wealth, possession and morality.

Co-created and directed by Mateo Gil, who also co-wrote the script with Miguel Barros, this six-part miniseries follows Victor Genovés (Luis Tosar), a wealthy and influential businessman as the new CEO to a media company. Victor is being blackmailed by an organization calling itself the Minions of Midas for reasons which are not immediately clear. He must agree to pay a large sum of money, or a person will be killed at random and at a designated place and time periodically until he does. Will Victor save his money, or the lives of innocent people?

The Minions of Midas takes place in Madrid, at a time of social unrest in Spain. What had begun as a peaceful protest against rising electricity prices has now escalated into widespread social unrest. Victor Genovés is at the head of the Malvar Group, a position he has just inherited from the organization’s founder after Malvar’s death eight months before. It is a surprising inheritance, one which Victor admits himself has no idea why Malvar gave him his empire, or so he says. Cardboard boxes from his move to his new penthouse apartment, where Victor lives alone, have remained untouched. >

Geez the hyperbole on the Queen's Gambit is a bit ott. I've watched the complete series and it was good, but nothing remarkable imo. It was far too predictable too.

Lately, I've watched Masterminds and The Midnight Sky on Netflix. Both movies, both pretty good.

Masterminds is based on a true story about one of the biggest heists in U.S history. It stars Zach Galifinakis, Kristen Wiig, Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis. As you'd expect from this bunch, it's a very comical, silly movie and very entertaining.

The Midnight Sky stars George Clooney and is a fairly good story, however it's not that interesting or new and there are many plot holes. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't very compelling.

• Like 3

I liked The Queen's Gambit - yes it was predictable (although I wasn't sure as who would win in the end) but the ride along the way was enjoyable.

The Midnight Sky was a very poor adaption from the book and I am not sure why they made the changes they did.

I am enjoying The Detectorists  at the moment.  Besides a quaint storyline the picture quality is great.

Edited by lucmor444
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ooogh said:

My Octopus Teacher. Extraordinary.

I wholeheartedly agree, a must see doco.

• Like 1
On 05/07/2015 at 4:14 PM, Tony ray said:

I think there is something wrong in me to like this sort of stuff

Right.

Fargo is much more good er.

On 17/01/2021 at 6:06 PM, Ooogh said:

My Octopus Teacher. Extraordinary.

As @Willmax said ... an unmissable doco.  As a diver, though, I thought he was seriously deranged:

1. swimming in those seriously cold waters with no wetsuit, and
  2. going into those great-white infested waters at night!

Andy

• Like 1