Netflix currently watching

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

Ages ago it was on tv and watched afew episodes but didn’t really get into it. Perhaps being able watch it back to back makes a big difference in how we can perceive some shows 

Neo

Very likely.  Also the better quality and surround sound - it all helps the enjoyment.

On 06/01/2020 at 8:17 AM, joz said:

Have gotten into "YOU"

About a stalker with a crush and seems jealous of other stalkers.

yep - I enjoyed both series 1 and 2.  Binged the whole series 2 one Sunday a few weeks back when under the weather.  

• Like 1

Marriage Story (2019)

I think Noah Baumbach may have reached a pinnacle of his career with this film. Noticeable echoes of Bergman's Scenes from a Marriage (1973) - certainly one of the inspirations of the project.

image.png.463f294eabceb328f94777c76d86f0aa.png

image.png.25c47c3698b09a4260d90961267ab04c.png

Witcher found it's feet after four or five episodes and when the credits rolled on the last ep it had me looking for ep 9!

The location shots are breath taking and highlight an area of Europe few get to see. The games are great and Witcher3 is brilliant but...the TV series doesn't follow them or the books closely as it's an adaptation only.

The acting? Meh, we're not after The Godfather 1+2, it's fantasy and hack n slash and I for one can never get enough of it. Geralt says the naughty word a lot and he's pretty one dimensional but still...he's pretty damn good with a blade aint he!

Toss a coin to your Witcher
O’ Valley of Plenty
O’ Valley of Plenty
O’
Toss a coin to Your Witcher
O’ Valley of Plenty

At the edge of the world
Fight the mighty horde
That bashes and breaks you
And brings you the morn’

He thrust every elf
Far back on the shelf
High up on the mountain
From whence it came

He wiped out your pest
Got kicked in his chest
He’s a friend of humanity
So give him the rest

Haha! More please!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, steffanth said:

fair call . . . . . i thought cavill did a great job of emulating the character out ofthe game and books

Definitely, been reading he did all the stunts as well and really immersed himself in the character.

Neo

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'
10 hours ago, Neo said:

Half way through Gotham, dark yet with hints of light humor with some characters. Oswald Cobbelpott aka penguin I recon steals the show. Love the storyline so far

It surprised me, the characters are very well written and played, and I have found an affection for the Penguin, even though it is difficult with any of these characters as they all have a very dark side.

Hell of a city this Gotham :D

On 03/01/2020 at 4:41 PM, proftournesol said:

Latest series has been funded by Amazon, sufficient budget to make the weakest book into a good series

Just finished S4 of The Expanse.

It was excellent - professionally produced and acted  - very enjoyable .    Looking forward to S5.

I will have to give Nickelodeon's  Lost In Space some time before I try to watch it again.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

It surprised me, the characters are very well written and played, and I have found an affection for the Penguin, even though it is difficult with any of these characters as they all have a very dark side.

Hell of a city this Gotham :D

I find the series very much like reading old Batman comics - and that means they are doing it correctly !!  However, where it is not like the Batman comics, is the dark sides you mention.  That makes it very modern.

29 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Just finished S4 of The Expanse.

It was excellent - professionally produced and acted  - very enjoyable .    Looking forward to S5.

I will have to give Nickelodeon's  Lost In Space some time before I try to watch it again.

Yeah, I'm struggling with Episode 1 of Lost In Space. It didn't help that I started it straight after The Expanse

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mvqq said:

I'm currently watching the season 2 of Fargo. I dont like it as much as season 1 but it is still very good in my opinion!

Fargo is an absolute cracker of a series. Each season is of a different flavor/slate on the theme.

I reckon each is an absolute gem - just let it play out, and hold onto your effin hat for the ride.

Season 2 - our own Angus Sampson steals the show in a number of episodes. The Native American character is quite something too.

Just read Season 4 is slated for 2020 premiere. Chris Rock is playing "the head of a crime syndicate made up of black migrants fleeing the Jim Crow South". Set in 1950s Kansas City, Missouri.

Harboring very high hopes for it.

Edited by zippi
  • Like 2

Just finished Witcher--save yourself and just go to the last episode --its wackier than  the others--how Cavill kept straight face through all that shmozzle 

--deserves an OscarxD!

Blah

Now The Gloaming-- First episode looks Tasmanian winter grim--but could be excellent Crime--with Emma Booth and  Rena Owen--worth a watch

BruceD

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, steffanth said:

Been watching Treadstone on Amazon.

Good action . . . storyline follows on from the bourne series.  Pity theres only 10 episodes to season 1 . . .  .binged it it 2 days

It's on my list, after I finish Jack Ryan, and Carnival Row.

We don't have a Prime "currently watching" thread   Maybe we need one.

One of the best things I've seen on Netflix. It's good, very good!!

Giri/Haji (Duty/Shame)

https://www.netflix.com/au/title/80190519

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/01/13/giri-haji-yakuza-gang-war-japanese-cop-in-london-make-for-overlooked-netflix-gem-review/

< This is that rare British crime show that’s not about serial killers or child abduction and murder, thank God. Honestly, virtually all of them are about those topics these days. Giri/Haji actually has something to say about family bonds, atonement, consequences and whether people can change. Nearly everyone here  did a bad thing for good reasons, and it haunts them. They’re afraid they might be doomed to keep doing bad things to fix a problem and it’ll keep getting worse.

This is one of the most satisfyingly plotted crime shows of 2019. It starts as a slow burner and unpeels like an onion. Timelines shift to reveal new layers of the story and explain characters’ motivations. Every character has their reasons for what they do, no matter how wrong it is. Every character gets their due, even the supporting characters we’ve forgotten who turn out to be significant. Everyone has their reasons for what they do, even the worst. The show also manages not to Orientalise the Japanese characters. It understands both Japanese and British culture without exoticizing either. All the characters are linked or tangled like a web. There are also moments of dry humour. Charlie Creed Miles steals the show as Abbot, the snarky London crime boss hoping to find a place in the Yakuza who follows an ethical code of his own writing. >

regards Ian

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ian McP said:

One of the best things I've seen on Netflix. It's good, very good!!

Giri/Haji (Duty/Shame)

Soon as I spotted it last night - it jumped to the top of my viewing list. Glad to see my instinct wasn't off.

Any day now....

Guest Muon N'
On 09/01/2020 at 11:36 AM, Willco said:

Just finished Witcher--save yourself and just go to the last episode --its wackier than  the others--how Cavill kept straight face through all that shmozzle 

--deserves an OscarxD!

Blah

I gave up on it and don't understand the rave it is getting :huh:

New seasons of The Ranch and Sabrina dropped tonight, but I can't decide what one to watch.

Maybe I'll try this Ottoman (rise of empires)

I'm not sure whether to be proud of my endurance or embarrassed at my persistence, but I've finally sat through Season 2 of Lost in Space. What a fish mash of poor science and incoherent scripting. At least the original series had Jonathan Harris

On 26/01/2020 at 11:28 PM, April Snow said:

Have just finished watching  Ozark -  Season 2.

Loved it, sort of Breaking Bad meets the Sopranos.

Enjoyed the really strong female leads in this.

Agree, superb show.  S3 starts next month.

• Like 2

On 25/01/2020 at 7:51 AM, proftournesol said:

I'm not sure whether to be proud of my endurance or embarrassed at my persistence, but I've finally sat through Season 2 of Lost in Space. What a fish mash of poor science and incoherent scripting. At least the original series had Jonathan Harris

I figure if you're watching for entertainment and not to solely criticise, suspension of disbelief is paramount.

I mostly enjoyed the Witcher. It doesn't make me a bad person, nor a  fool, but I won't be buying the single "Toss a coin to your Witcher". (...or will I?)

I had a few (but only a few) "cringe" moments in both series, but Dr. Smith was always a painfully sly dog of a character.

Also remember that you're not coming back to watch it again, so you can be grateful if you didn't find it bad enough to cease watching.