Netflix currently watching

31 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

The Expanse mostly works within the laws of physics without fudges like 'gravity fields'

15 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

Wow, best sci-fi show on TV

Agree, The Expanse is a wonderful show. 

Awesome, S4 is now on Prime. I know what I will be watching tonight. 

In a different world compared to Lost In Space, which seems like a bad Disney show set in space. 

Guest vagabond
On 27/12/2019 at 5:49 PM, proftournesol said:

Watch past series 1. It starts as an asteroid belt detective noir, but becomes far more 'expansive'.

I thought it fell apart halfway through the second series, like they'd blown their budget or something.  Physics are excellent, loved the flip-and-burn early in the first series, you don't often see that on a screen (actually never).  Reminded me somewhat of Larry Niven's "turnover" mechanic.

Books are quite a good read for space opera.

7 hours ago, vagabond said:

I thought it fell apart halfway through the second series, like they'd blown their budget or something.  Physics are excellent, loved the flip-and-burn early in the first series, you don't often see that on a screen (actually never).  Reminded me somewhat of Larry Niven's "turnover" mechanic.

Books are quite a good read for space opera.

Latest series has been funded by Amazon, sufficient budget to make the weakest book into a good series

On 27/12/2019 at 4:04 PM, metal beat said:

Agree, The Expanse is a wonderful show. 

Awesome, S4 is now on Prime. I know what I will be watching tonight. 

In a different world compared to Lost In Space, which seems like a bad Disney show set in space. 

The Expanse is the best science fiction series I have ever come across. Love it. Series 4, like the book(s) upon which it is based, is probably the weakest link in an otherwise well constructed chain. Even so, it's still very good. The eighth book in the series is out at the end of this month, too. Given that the characters are aging and there's no faster than light drive to overcome the months/years in travel times, it's possible that it could be the final installment. I do hope that I am wrong.

Lost in Space took a bit of getting into, Series 1 I mean. They seemed to be trying to turn what originally became a very camp exercise in the '60's into a more serious effort, but didn't quite seem to know how. The female Dr Smith is far more chilling than Jonathon Harris ever achieved, and the plot revolving more around the parents than the kids made far better sense, but the Will Robinson/The Robot axis was seriously deficient. The trouble with the first series is that it seemed to be all preamble, it just didn't go anywhere.

I will give it a go and watch with my fingers crossed but I am not hopeful.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, proftournesol said:

Latest series has been funded by Amazon, sufficient budget to make the weakest book into a good series

Sorry Prof, I hadn't read your comment before I posted mine. You nailed it there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Failed to hold me, I had hoped if I persevered for a few ep's it would catch me, but nup.

I've seen it touted as the "replacement" for Game of Thrones. A cash in attempt on the Swords and Heroes bandwagon? Won't be the last, I'm afraid.

Guest vagabond
On 03/01/2020 at 4:41 PM, proftournesol said:

"Cats" cost $100M US.

• Volunteer
2 hours ago, steffanth said:

There was alot of back story going on and different timelines mixed through season 1.  If you havnt read the books or played the game i can see how you could easily be confused and find it dead booring.

It wasn’t confusing. Mainly I thought the acting wasn’t very good. 

I quite enjoyed Dracula. Steve Moffatt's involvement wasn't an attraction for me as I haven't been a Doctor Who fan after the age of 7 and the days of William Hartnell and to be honest I was more a Dalek fan than a Dr.Who fan.

Nevertheless, Dracula on Netflix has some humour and the performances of Dracula and Van Helsing characters are extremely good with wit, sexual tension and a modern spin on the whole thing. But it's visual style plays small homages to previous styles from Hammer Films and Coppola's film and even Herzog's Nosferatu.

Not riveting, nor surprising and loses the energy fairly early on after the surprise twist midway through the season.

But for the main two characters and their dialogues and some of the more modern psychology that drive both, the story is relatively pedestrian. Worth a watch though even just for the opening episode which is really great story telling and for scene setting, character introductions etc.

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

I quite enjoyed Dracula. Steve Moffatt's involvement wasn't an attraction for me as I haven't been a Doctor Who fan after the age of 7 and the days of William Hartnell and to be honest I was more a Dalek fan than a Dr.Who fan.

Nevertheless, Dracula on Netflix has some humour and the performances of Dracula and Van Helsing characters are extremely good with wit, sexual tension and a modern spin on the whole thing. But it's visual style plays small homages to previous styles from Hammer Films and Coppola's film and even Herzog's Nosferatu.

Not riveting, nor surprising and loses the energy fairly early on after the surprise twist midway through the season.

But for the main two characters and their dialogues and some of the more modern psychology that drive both, the story is relatively pedestrian. Worth a watch though even just for the opening episode which is really great story telling and for scene setting, character introductions etc.

I agree, I enjoyed it too.   Always a bit of a challenge, re-telling an already much told story.

Thoroughly enjoyed Witcher, excellent soundtrack. Particularly enjoyed how the opening title music subtly changes with each episode. Great characters and yes confusing in regard to the timeline at first but clear as day at the last episode when all ties in together.
Half way through Gotham, dark yet with hints of light humor with some characters. Oswald Cobbelpott aka penguin I recon steals the show. Love the storyline so far 
Neo

Edited by Neo

1 minute ago, Neo said:

Thoroughly enjoyed Witcher, excellent soundtrack. Particularly enjoyed how the opening title music subtly changes with each episode. 
Half way through Gotham, dark yet with hints of light humor with some characters. 
Neo

I just restarted Gotham.  I watched some ages ago and forgot where I was up to.  Happily rewatching the first episodes now and intend to watch it all this time.

11 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I just restarted Gotham.  I watched some ages ago and forgot where I was up to.  Happily rewatching the first episodes now and intend to watch it all this time.

Ages ago it was on tv and watched afew episodes but didn’t really get into it. Perhaps being able watch it back to back makes a big difference in how we can perceive some shows 

Neo