Netflix currently watching

1 hour ago, deviltoob said:

Anyone watched The King? I’m on the fence. The way the weedy dude is swinging his sword like he’s playing backyard ninja in the preview is kinda putting me off it. 

It's not without flaws, however a great take on the Shakespeare plays (Henry IV, Part 1, and Henry IV, Part 2.) and a great film in it's own right. A definite "Michod" stamp on it and a great effort by the other key Aussies involved.

Edited by zippi

The Crown (season 3)

Season 3 is as good as the others, if a little darker. What a crazy life the Royals live. The Queen herself is amazing. We will never see her like again. I doubt that the monarchy will survive for too much longer, but when it inevitably does go, we will be just a little poorer. The idea that there is someone 'above' self-serving politicians....someone who can put them in their place, is really quite appealing.

A great series.

• Like 2

Hinterland * * * *

https://www.netflix.com/au/title/70305043

< Forsaking London for the rustic landscapes of Wales, a police detective with a troubled soul finds himself in a place with secrets as dark as his own. >

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/richard-harrington-on-hinterland-series-3-poldark-lark-rise-to-candleford-a7664551.html

• Like 1

13 hours ago, steffanth said:

binge watched vikings S5 during the week and The Expanse S4 yesterday

Both truly excellent shows.

Cant wait for the witcher this weekend

Trying to save The Expanse for those lazy Xmas days when you don't want to move.

"It's not without flaws, however a great take on the Shakespeare plays (Henry IV, Part 1, and Henry IV, Part 2.) and a great film in it's own right. A definite "Michod" stamp on it and a great effort by the other key Aussies involved. "

My thoughts as well, although it was a new take on Falstaff (not such a bad thing, contrary to most I am not a huge fan of the bard's Falstaff). Updates to Shakespeare are well worth the effort as it may be a way of introducing new discoverers to Shakespeare. 

Something about Worthington grates with me and I'm not sure what it is. 

He seems to be a fan of Shakespeare and his earlier Macbeth was a valiant attempt, so I give him a thumbs up.

Apropos Shakespeare, although not streaming I watched a DVD from the library of All is True, about the last 3 years of Shakespeare's life after retiring from the theatre.  Directed and starring Kenneth Branagh, with Judy Dench and Ian Mackellen, written by Ben Elton.  Shot in 30 days on a shoestring budget.  I liked it very much.

Exeunt.

Woops, Joel Edgerton not Sam Worthington. My apologies.  I find something grating about the both though!

Ben Mendelsohn was excellent and seems to be a fixed cast member of everything Netflix, and the guy who played the King of France was excellent.

2 hours ago, allthumbs said:

Apropos Shakespeare, although not streaming I watched a DVD from the library of All is True, about the last 3 years of Shakespeare's life after retiring from the theatre.  Directed and starring Kenneth Branagh, with Judy Dench and Ian Mackellen, written by Ben Elton.  Shot in 30 days on a shoestring budget.  I liked it very much.

Heard of it - not seen yet. Will check it out soon-ish.

Re: The King (2019)

....although it was a new take on Falstaff (not such a bad thing, contrary to most I am not a huge fan of the bard's Falstaff). Updates to Shakespeare are well worth the effort as it may be a way of introducing new discoverers to Shakespeare. 

In all the previous incarnations of Falstaff (that I've seen) - his vices and shortcomings are leaned on overly heavily (age of propriety/outrage/whatever I guess), whereas the true value of Falstaff is the dichotomy of vices and straight talk/underlying honesty and no BS. Exactly the way Edgerton played it. I also loved Mendelsohn as King Henry IV and Sean Harris as the Machiavellian character William Gascoigne, as well as Thibault de Montalembert as King Charles VI.

He seems to be a fan of Shakespeare and his earlier Macbeth was a valiant attempt, so I give him a thumbs up.

Not sure I've seen Edgerton in Macbeth. There was a 2015 Justin Kurzel film (director of Snowtown) version of Macbeth with Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard, which was outstanding start to finish.

Updates to Shakespeare are well worth the effort as it may be a way of introducing new discoverers to Shakespeare.

I think we find ourselves in the times that are more Shakespearean than ever - hence a clear opportunity to explore the present day issues through Shakespeare updates/fresh looks/fresh takes on the subject matter. And these efforts are much appreciated.

Edited by zippi

1 hour ago, zippi said:

In all the previous incarnations of Falstaff (that I've seen) - his vices and shortcomings are leaned on overly heavily (age of propriety/outrage/whatever I guess), whereas the true value of Falstaff is the dichotomy of vices and straight talk/underlying honesty and no BS

Yes, fully agree, I always think of him as more weary and cynical definitely more in his cups than out, he must have been a brave knight at sometime and Edgerton gives it the character a more rounded and nuanced personification than the normal buffoonery that is often performed and the underlying warrior he must have been.

It was Worthington that played Macbeth in an Australian film production a few years ago now based around a Criminal Gang which didn't work for me at all.

Sean Harris was stand out in The King.

Never enough Shakespeare, never enough.

• Like 1

On 16/12/2019 at 7:38 PM, Muon N' said:

The Witcher looks like it could very very cool :thumb:

I watched the first two episodes and thought it was interesting. I only have HD netflix but it looks almost 4k on my Sony 4k tv.

Guest Muon N'
2 hours ago, Hazzzy said:

I watched the first two episodes and thought it was interesting. I only have HD netflix but it looks almost 4k on my Sony 4k tv.

I have standard, but I'm not into the video side that much so fine for me on a high res 24" monitor..

I'm liking it but have found it a tad confusing at times.

21 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Lost In Space Season 2 is supposed to drop today but nothing so far, damn it!

Try after 6:30 PM (5:30 in Bris, due to DST in NSW) on the drop day. I have discovered this with episodes of The Good Place.

I got home last night just after 8 PM (brother's birthday, so I dropped by for a few hours) and it was ready to roll.

Well I watched ep1,  series 2 of Lost In Space last night . 

Sailing    ......   really :emot-bang:  talk about suspending all belief.

Truly terrible television.   I will watch ep2 to see if it gets any better.

Edited by metal beat

Guest Muon N'

It does get better as the season progresses.

It's science fiction, suspending all belief in real physics and other science is a requirement, if I didn't do this I'd not be able to watch any syfi.

1 minute ago, Muon N' said:

It does get better as the season progresses.

It's science fiction, suspending all belief in real physics and other science is a requirement, if I didn't do this I'd not be able to watch any syfi.

The Expanse mostly works within the laws of physics without fudges like 'gravity fields'

• Haha 1

Guest Muon N'
Just now, proftournesol said:

The Expanse mostly works within the laws of physics without fudges like 'gravity fields'

I couldn't get into that show, can't recall why.