Anthem mrx510 vs Marantz sr6009 whats best for sound quality or even any other amps for the $2000 mark

Anthem mrx510 vs Marantz sr6009 whats best for sound quality i am running a focal chorus v 716v front, sv700 centre, sw700 subwoofer and 706v rears   set up i owned a marantz but have being told that anthem is a lot better sound but heaps less features which are not my priority

maybe with some of the not so older marantz, but I understand the 9 series is a jump up especially if looking at the 6009, 7009. I dont think its as cut and dried the 6009 is a reasonable unit. maybe best to go check out what its like to get a bit of a feel for which you prefer :)

• Like 1

Anthem mrx510 is a good amp for the money but would it suit the focal is up to your ear to decide. I agree with Al that Marantz sr6009 is a big step-up in sound and features compare to your old marantz sr6003. At the end of the day it your ears and feature list that decide which one to get.

• Like 2

I had in my head that my next AVR upgrade will either be a flagship Yamaha Aventage or the Anthem MRX 7 series. Anthem seems to be (based on many online reviews) the goods, and the Yammy, as usual a really good performer.

• 2 weeks later...

I went from a Marantz SR6005 recently to the Anthem MX710.

Marantz easier to setup as it has all the room adjustments in the unit while the Anthem it a computer loaded software job. 

Anthem system is thus more fiddly but results are "better" (reviewers say). 

Sound?

I liked Marantz, and found it a great performer, but I was looking for something with more impact.

Enter Anthem.

Before I made my choice I did trial other brands, even trialing the Marantz Pre/Power against the MX710(side by side test).

Anthem was what I was looking for and I got a great deal and didn't pay much more than your budget.

As the move to Atmos receivers accelerates, I think there will be a fair few deals for non-Atmos units.

I have the SR6005 available for a great price if you are interested. It's in great condition.

Hi there,

Honestly, I did exactly the same thing as Woogie59. I was using the Marantz SR6005, and also went to the MRX710.

Sound "quality" is a hard one to nail down, because various "sound qualities" have different levels of importance to different people. Some people like a very powerful amp/receiver because they want it loud without clipping (and let's face it, clipping is very bad for sound, and sound equipment). Others want faithful reproduction with really low noise floors, little-to-no "colouration", and lots of detail. For yet another group of people, they just want all the bells and whistles which may add... or subtract from one's enjoyment of any particular sound. I'd consider these people more "Technophiles", than "Audiophiles".

It also makes a difference if you listen only to music, versus TV/movies/home theatre. Some bells and whistles really do add to the movie experience.

Woogie59 has a point, the Marantz system (Audyssey in one of the various versions) is entirely "in-built" and requires no other equipment. I love my SR6005 and it does a great job, but like you, I wanted to "take it a bit further". I'd say the detail, and the room correction is superior on the Anthem. However, this is a comparison to the SR6005, I have no idea how the newer/higher-end Marantz's sound, so I cannot comment. It's a bit unfair since the Marantz SR6005 is a product aimed at a lower price point than the Anthem.

However, before I go on, remember that you can tweak the Marantz manually, and you can get some amazing results if you're willing to tinker and put the time in.

I will go one further than Woogie, and say this: If you're an Apple computer user, and buy the MRX-710, you need to install Windows! Anthem's Room Correction (ARC) is NOT compatible with Mac OS, and the microphone does NOT work when using Virtualbox (if you try the virtual computer option). I had to run bootcamp to dual-boot my mac. If this sounds all too technical, and you have a computer running windows... Use that, and be done with it.

Having said that, once you do install ARC software on a windows system, you can use the default options to get good some really nice results without much effort. Just follow the prompts and try not to make noise while the speakers are calibrating.

I love the fact that you can upgrade the ARC software, and even upgrade the firmware on the MRX-710 from anywhere that has an internet connection. If you get a Marantz with a network socket, then you can probably upgrade some things.. but I'm not sure what.... or how that affects your experience.

The only gripe I have about the MRX is that if you pipe the computer's screen through the TV (and that's passing through the MRX via HDMI) during the ARC calibration process, there is a message  that says "ARC in Progress..." and this blocks enough of the screen to be unable to see what the ARC software is doing. I've contacted the people at Anthem, and maybe they'll fix it with a firmware update.

I think you'd be happy with either. I like the Marantz, but I personally love my Anthem. All the best!

Hamish.

Hi there,

It's quite an interesting choice you have there. Similar price but very different receivers. I would say that the MRX has a little more grunt and the upper hand when it comes to cinema. That is provided you use the ARC. The Marantz In my opinion has the upper hand with stereo listening. Obviously neither are going to provide you mind blowing stereo performance but none the less I believe the Marantz outshines with 2ch.

The best advice as said before go out and have a listen and play with each model. Decide based on what you intend to use it for.  Both are very fun and great bang for buck.

Cheers Sean

• Like 1

• 1 month later...