Sign in to follow this  
O.Sydney

Sydney Audio Club Meeting - Sunday 12th April 2015 - CD player comparison

The April 2015 meeting of the Sydney Audio Club sees us once again at Dence Park for an afternoon of fine music, great sound and amicable company.

Each month, the Sydney Audio Club presents the finest in high end audio systems for our members and guests.  It's a bit like a private audio show once a month where you can hear and discuss equipment that you might not otherwise have the chance to audition.  And you can bring along your own music to test the capabilities of the system or to just share with like-minded music lovers in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

For our April meeting we’ve got an interesting and revealing CD player comparison coming up..! 

We will have 3 disc players to compare… 

AMR CD-777 CD player

Esoteric X-03SE CD/SACD player

Marantz UD7007 Universal player 

Given that the AMR CD-777 plays only CDs, we will limit our comparison session to the CD layer.  The winner of the comparison will be used for our BYO session. 

Details of the system…

AMR CD-777 CD player – Courtesy of Cameron Keating of MaxMedia.  Refer to http://www.maxmedia.com.au/www.maxmedia.com.au/AMR_777_SERIES.html.  To quote Cameron… “Exclusively using the Philips UDA1305AT Multibit chipset, a bespoke transport and premium quality valves, backed with cherry-picked components, the CD-777’s atypical approach surpasses digital source machines costing several times more …. The CD-777 is the first type of what AMR’s refers to as a “music hubâ€. Using the absolute highest quality design and execution, the CD-777 is first, a high-end CD processor. Second, able to receive a digital signal in from a PC or transport either through USB or S/P-DIF without the usual increase in jitter, it can be used as an accomplished DAC. Third, able to send out a digital signal through S/P-DIF to an external DAC or computer, it can function as an exceptionally well-designed transport source.â€

Esoteric X-03SE CD/SACD player.   Refer to http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esoteric/x03se/indexe.html and http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/esoteric14/x03se.html.  Utilises Esoteric’s high precision VRDS-NEO transport mechanism.  6 Moons gave a Blue Moon recommendation … “the X03-SE gets another strong vote of confidence and an unconditional confirmation of its prior Blue Moon statusâ€. 

Marantz UD7007 universal player – This is a player that has been heavily modified by club member Bill Louey.  For detail about the player in its original spec, refer to http://www.audioholics.com/blu-ray-and-dvd-player-reviews/marantz-ud7007-blu-ray-player and a Five-Star review from What HiFi http://www.whathifi.com/marantz/ud7007/reviewTo quote What HiFi .. “It has a powerful and bold presentation that makes most alternatives sound insubstantial. There’s also lots of sonic detail and a huge sense of scale.“.

Classe CP800 pre – connected to the power amp via Vertere XLR.  Refer to http://www.classeaudio.com/products/cp-800.php and http://www.stereophile.com/content/class233-cp-800-da-preamplifier

Plinius SA250 Mk4 amp – connected to speakers with Nordost Frey.  Refer to http://www.pliniusaudio.com/Plinius_Range/Power_Amplifiers/SA_Reference.html and http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/506plinius/index.html.

Energy Veritas 1.8 Floorstander speakers – Refer to http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/energy-speaker-systems/veritas-v1-8/prd_122534_1594crx.aspx and http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/551/

The second half of the music sessions will be our popular BYO.   Members and guests are welcome to offer music to share with us all.  So bring along your favourite music on  CD/SACD.   Sorry, no provision for vinyl or flash drives this month.  All we ask is that the music and recordings be interesting.  We'll ask you to tell us a little about the artist/recording before it is played.  Tracks over 6 minutes will be faded out, to give everyone a fair go.

Whether you are a novice or a seasoned veteran, you will have the opportunity to listen, learn and share your experiences with others of a similar mind.

Guests are always welcome – we are a very friendly club so you don't need to know anyone to join us for an afternoon of fine music and sound.  We will welcome you at the door.

Venue:  Epping Creative Centre
Address:  26 Stanley St, Epping

When:  Sunday 12th April 2015

Doors open 1pm
Meeting starts at 2pm

Best regards,

Tom Waters

President

Sydney Audio Club

www.sydneyaudioclub.org.au

tomwaters@sydneyaudioclub.org.au

I'm not Tom :)

We've had a request, due to it's popularity, that we include an Oppo to the line up, so additionally we will have an Oppo 105 on the day to compare as well,

Will be interesting to hear how the latest Oppo stacks up against the others, especially the modified Marantz.

Hopefully Oppo have improved the cd playback over the 95, which for me is like listening to music on the edge of your seat rather than sitting back and relaxing, so hoping they've toned that back some in the 105.

We've had a request, due to it's popularity, that we include an Oppo to the line up, so additionally we will have an Oppo 105 on the day to compare as well,

Will be interesting to hear how the latest Oppo stacks up against the others, especially the modified Marantz.

Hopefully Oppo have improved the cd playback over the 95, which for me is like listening to music on the edge of your seat rather than sitting back and relaxing, so hoping they've toned that back some in the 105.

Will this be a stock standard 105 or a modded one?

Trying to make it this month as I have been absent for a number of months. Always look forward to the "interesting" music.

The 105 is original and courtesy of Andrew B.

The interesting music is usually absent when you guys are, so hopefully you can make it. Please consider the Veritas only have 6" bass drivers and in a big room so nothing sub sonic now :sorry:  :).

@chefscuba70 

Ahem...

I tried to make up for these gents absence by bringing in two CDs last month!

Couldn't get my second choice, Nils Petter Molvaer past the judges though... :( 

See you on Sunday mate :)

Cheers,

Leigh

@@chefscuba70 we will be kind to those bass drivers which are monsters compared my babies.

@@ferchersan hope you bring NPM this week. New Elana Stone album arrived at work today. That's a possible. As is Rodrigo y Gabriella after seeing them play last night. Thinking thinking thinking.

@@Viognier I will have NPM with me... :thumb:

Now that you mention them, your speakers would ceratinly pull a crowd for an SAC meeting...  :ph34r:

Cheers,

Leigh

If you need to slip something past the keeper, just slip it into a classical cd cover ;)  :D.

I second Leigh's suggestion there and I want them cranked up so I can feel the bass line on 'Limit To Your Love' at the back of the room :P, yeah that would be awesome (if they survive :o :ph34r:).

If you need to slip something past the keeper, just slip it into a classical cd cover ;):D.

I second Leigh's suggestion there and I want them cranked up so I can feel the bass line on 'Limit To Your Love' at the back of the room :P, yeah that would be awesome (if they survive :o :ph34r:).

I need a dislike button.

@@Viognier My bad. FWIW, if it helps you dodge a bullet, I'll offer up the use of my Maggie's for a meeting!

@@chefscuba70

I can imagine it now, Bert gives a well thought out insight into a beautiful piece from one of his favourites. Tom puts the CD in and the crowd gets hit with some twisted drill n bass courtesy of Aphex Twin. :o   :party

Cheers,
Leigh

Sounds like a plan, the old switcheroo of the cd trick.

And no problems @@ferchersan

Edited by Viognier

I've got family duties during part of the afternoon but I'll try to get up there for a bit with a techno or deep ambient track :)

Please excuse my StereoNet app brevity

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By chefscuba70
      Hello all,
      I would like to inform every one of the Sydney Audio Club’s upcoming meetings for anyone who may be interested in attending. Each month I will post a copy of our newsletter highlighting who will be presenting at our next gathering. See post below.
      All are welcome, so please post here for more info, or see our website for calender dates, www.sydneyaudioclub.org.au/
      You don't need to know anyone to join us for an afternoon of fine music and sound.
      Hope to see you there.
      Potential Presenters:
      I’ve been a member of the Sydney Audio Club for over a year now and love it and have recently joined the committee in the role as Events Coordinator. This is a joint role with another committee member whose career background is in Pro Audio.
      Together we source and organise Home and Pro audio equipment from Distributors, Retailers, Direct to Market Companies, Representatives and our Members, to showcase their gear for the enjoyment of our members and guests at our monthly meetings held at Dence Park Creative Centre in Epping.
      The Sydney Audio Club offers companies an opportunity to present and demonstrate their equipment to the club. It could be a single piece of kit or an entire system, something new to market or an old favourite. Also we have recently updated our website to list our presenters over the last 12 months in the public area.
      Anyone interested in offering and presenting any gear at our future meetings, feel free to contact myself for further discussions. Meetings are on Sundays and openings are available from Feb 2013.
    • By chefscuba70
      Hi all,
      For anyone interested, your welcome to come along and join us.
      The October 2012 meeting of the Sydney Audio Club sees us once again at Dence Park for an afternoon of fine music and sound and convivial company.
      Each month, the Sydney Audio Club presents the finest in high end audio systems for our members and guests. It's a bit like a private audio show once a month where you can hear and discuss equipment that you might not otherwise have the chance to audition. And you can bring along your own music to test the capabilities of the system or to just share with like-minded music lovers in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
      This month we will have a system presented by Steven Spurrier of Studio Connections Australia (refer to http://www.studioconnections.com.au). Studio Connections Australia is the Australian distributor for some highly renowned and respected brands of audio equipment. Their brands include: Genelec, Bricasti Design and Drawmer. (All the equipment on the day will be provided by Studio Connections Australia.)
      This month we will have a system comprising Genelec and Drawmer products.
      The speakers will be the Genelec 8260A and 8240A models (please refer to http://www.genelec.com). Genelec have been manufacturing professional studio monitors since 1978 and have recently introduced home theatre and installation product ranges.
      The Genelec 8260A is a three way active system which combines a coaxial driver (MDC™) with the advanced Genelec Directivity Control Waveguide™ (DCW™), ensuring drivers couple coherently over their full operating bandwidth as well as creating coincident mid-frequency/high frequency point source. (Drivers are 3/4” tweeter, 5” midrange, 10” woofer). The 8260A features an internal digital active crossover, accepting inputs from 32 to 192kHz. Total amplifier power is 390W per speaker.
      The Genelec 8240A is a two way active system which features a flow optimized reflex port that provides solid, clear and articulated low frequencies without compression, distortion or port noises. It is also combined with the Genelec Directivity Control Waveguide™ (DCW™), and has rounded edges and gently curved front and sides of the MDE™ (Minimum Diffraction Enclosure™) enclosure. (Drivers are 3/4” metal dome tweeter, 6.5” woofer). The 8240A also features an internal digital active crossover, accepting inputs from 32 to 192kHz. Total amplifier power is 180W per speaker.
      The Genelec Loudspeaker Manager™ (GLM™) software manages the Genelec DSP signal processing responsible for all loudspeaker functions, such as the crossover filters, driver equalizers, driver position alignment, room response alignment, calibration and equalization related filters as well as distance compensating delays. Carefully designed DSP crossover filters with extremely steep roll-off characteristics feed dedicated power amplifiers for each of the low distortion drivers. The Genelec Loudspeaker Manager (GLM™) control network and software features adjustment of levels, distance delays and flexible room response improvement equalization with the reliable and robust AutoCal™ automated calibration system via the GLM™ control network.
      We will also be featuring the M-Clock Plus AES Grade 1 Master Clock/Dual Sample Rate Converter from Drawmer (http://www.drawmer.com/products/dms/m-clock-plus-master-clock-src.php).
      M-Clock Plus is a high stability master clock generator offering clock rates from 44.1 to 192kHz, coupled to two sample rate converters, which allow material to be re-sampled and synchronised to the selected high precision clock. In addition to the internal clocks, M-Clock Plus can sync to either external word clock or clocks from AES/EBU signals. Precision clock frequency measurement and display indicates the exact frequency of the selected clock, whether internal or external, to an accuracy of 2ppm.
      M-Clock Plus has an external word clock input and an AES11 input which retrieves the clock from an AES audio signal. Each sample rate converter has selectable AES, SPDIF or TOSLINK inputs, with simultaneous AES, SPDIF and TOSLINK outputs. This allows many possibilities for format conversion as well as sample rate conversion. Sample rate converter #2 has inputs on the front panel for easy access. Provides user selectable word length of 16 or 24 bits with automatic dither generation – particularly valuable for 16 bit word lengths at low signal levels. There are 10 word clock outputs - 8 at the rear and 2 at the front for easy access.
      Note: also of interest from Studio Connections Australia are Drawmer's HQ Precision Pre-amp / DAC and the Bricasti M1 DAC – http://www.bricasti.com/m1.html. Neither of these will be on display or available in our meeting however.
      Sources will be all digital this month, sorry no vinyl. Steven will be providing an Audio Alchemy DDS Pro/DTIPro32/DDEV3.0 CD transport, which has both AES/EBU and COAX outputs. We will also have an Oppo BDP-95 player for DVD-A and BluRay discs (provided by a member) for playing members and guests music. Playing SACD discs will be possible but less desirable due to the enforced DA conversion in the player – the signal must be then later reprocessed via ADC which means there is a lot of processing.
      For this meeting, both music sessions will be BYO after Steven’s demonstration session. Members and guests are welcome to offer music to share with us all. So bring along your favourite music on CD, DVD-A and BluRay. All we ask is that the music and recordings be interesting. We'll ask you to tell us a little about the artist/recording before it is played. Tracks over 6 minutes will be faded out, to give everyone a fair go.
      Whether you are a novice or a seasoned veteran, you will have the opportunity to listen, learn and share your experiences with others of a similar mind.
      Members and Guests welcome – we are a very friendly club so you don't need to know anyone to join us for an afternoon of fine music and sound. We will welcome you at the door.
      Venue: Epping Creative Centre
      Address: 26 Stanley St, Epping
      Doors open 1pm
      Meeting starts at 2pm
      Best regards,
      Tom Waters
      President
      Sydney Audio Club
    • By TomW
      For our June club meeting … Morris Swift of OneAudio Music Systems (https://oneaudio.com.au/) will present the active µ2 speakers.  (That “µ” character is pronounced “mu” and is the Greek symbol for small or micro).   OneAudio released the passive version of their µ2 speakers a while ago and it has received acclaim from Len Wallis Audio and others.  The active version is very new.  Brad Serhan designed the cabinet and did the voicing for both the passive and active speakers.  Brad also designed the DSP in the active version.  Morris designed the electronics and amplification.  

Here is an excerpt from a OneAudio brochure which explains their design philosophy…
      “The relationship between designing equipment and verifying its performance through measurement, and the effect on what we subsequently hear, and how this is perceived, is a complex one. So much so that many audiophiles and even designers claim that you can’t measure what you hear, and implore us to simply trust our ears. At OneAudio, we unequivocally reject this. There is no doubt that such measurement is difficult, requiring new levels of accuracy, novel approaches, and new insights in interpreting the data. But it is absolutely essential if we are to consistently design equipment capable of delivering the high levels of performance and musical enjoyment demanded by us at OneAudio.” 

Morris plans to demonstrate both active and passive µ2 speaker systems, however, the emphasis will definitely be on the active version.  He’ll take direction from the audience, but he is also prepared to present on DSP technology and the issues with "digital", as well as the challenges of critical listening/evaluation and "A-B" testing.  

Morris will do most of his presenting at the beginning of our second half session (i.e. after our half time break).  He wishes that you listen to the system first without being told what you should expect to hear.  Morris would like you to first listen without influence or bias.

The featured system will be as follows:  

Speakers (Active):  OneAudio µ2 Active speakers utilizing ScanSpeak Revelator drivers - a 5" woofer and a 1" ring tweeter.  These drivers are from the ScanSpeak premium product range and can be found in other speakers priced up to $50,000 and beyond.

Main digital Source:  PC/Laptop supplied by OneAudio.

CD Transport:  An Oppo BDP-105D Universal player will be used as a transport (for our BYO session only).

Our popular BYO session will be split – it’ll be in part of the first half session, and also the latter part of our second half session.  Members and guests are welcome to offer music to share with us all.  So bring along your favourite music on CD or USB flash drives (sorry no vinyl).  NOTE that USB flash drives are preferable.  All we ask is that the music and recordings be interesting.  We'll ask you to tell us a little about the artist/recording before it is played.  Tracks over 6 minutes will be faded out, to give everyone a fair go. 

Whether you are a novice or a seasoned veteran, you will have the opportunity to listen, learn and share your experiences with others.  Feel free to come and hear the capabilities of the system, or to just share the experience with like-minded music lovers in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.  

Guests are welcome – we are a very friendly club so you don't need to know anyone to join us for an afternoon of fine music and sound.

Venue:  Epping Creative Centre, Dence Park
      Address:  26 Stanley Road, Epping 
      When:  Sunday 18th June 2017
      Doors open 1pm
      Meeting starts at 2pm

Best regards,
      Tom Waters
      President
      Sydney Audio Club
    • By TomW
      For our April club meeting … George Fracchia of Zensati Australia (http://www.zensatiaustralia.com/) will present a superb system based around the Prism Sound Callia DAC/Preamp, along with the Technical Brain Integrated Amplifier TB-ZERO INT and the PMC MB2 SE Speakers.  The PMC speakers have been kindly supplied by Vinod and John at the LifeStyle Store in North Parramatta (visit http://www.lifestylestore.com.au/).  

The official representative of Prism Sound in Australia, Peter Orehov, will also be present.  Peter will give a presentation highlighting the relevance of the Professional Recording (studio) to the Audiophile and Hi-Fi community. 

ZenSati Australia sells the Prism Sound Callia DAC/Preamp to the Hi-Fi and Audiophile community.  Technical Brain products are also available through Zensati Australia.   PMC products are available through the Lifestyle Store.

The system will be as follows: 

Prism Sound Callia DAC/Preamp.  Jason Kennedy at the the-ear.net said… “Prism Sound’s reputation preceded it when it finally entered the domestic hi-fi business earlier in the year [2016]. The Cambridge based company has been making converters for the studio market since 1987 and its top pro DAC is a cult product amongst those in the know. PMC founder Peter Thomas has one in his main system for instance, and he’s tried more than most in his quest for digital audio ecstasy.”  Refer to http://www.prismsound.com/hifi/products_subs/dac1/dac1_home.php and http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/prism-sound-callia-dacpreamplifier.

Technical Brain Integrated Amplifier TB-ZERO INT.  Highly respected, ultra-high performance products from Japan.  Refer to http://www.zensatiaustralia.com/2013/01/technical-brain-tb-zero-integrated-stereo-amplifier-now-available/, http://www.technicalbrain.co.jp/stereosound-2015spring-194.pdf and http://www.technicalbrain.co.jp/index_e.html

PMC MB2 SE Speakers.  From the Lifestyle Store website “…Meticulous attention has been applied to hone the designs to new standards, adding new internal bracing, computer-modelled driver dispersion surrounds, and custom-designed, specially tuned stands.  All these elements contribute to the production of a purer musical signal, allowing the listener to come as close as possible to the original performance.”   Refer to http://www.lifestylestore.com.au/pmc-mb2-se-three-way-high-resolution-reference-monitors.html, http://pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/se-series/mb2-se.  Our thanks again to the Lifestyle Store for graciously providing these speakers for the day.

Cabling will be from the products distributed by Zensati Australia which includes Vertere, Black Cat, Trinity, Dalby and of course ZenSati.

Gryphon Mikado Signature CD player.  We will use the Mikado as the transport into the Callia DAC/Preamp.  Note that Gryphon Audio Designs is not distributed by Zensati Australia (this player belongs to a club member).  The Mikado is an excellent player with remarkable resolution, transparency and warmth.  Refer to http://www.gryphon-audio.dk/m/product-information/heritage-products/mikado-signature/reviews for reviews. 

Note:  We will also have an Oppo BDP-105D Universal player on hand to allow the playing of USB flash drives during our BYO session.  We will be using the Oppo only as a transport into the Callia DAC.

The second half of the music sessions will be our popular BYO.   Members and guests are welcome to offer music to share with us all.  So bring along your favourite music on CD or USB flash drives (sorry no vinyl).  All we ask is that the music and recordings be interesting.  We'll ask you to tell us a little about the artist/recording before it is played.  Tracks over 6 minutes will be faded out, to give everyone a fair go. 

Whether you are a novice or a seasoned veteran, you will have the opportunity to listen, learn and share your experiences with others.  Feel free to come and hear the capabilities of the system, or to just share the experience with like-minded music lovers in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.  

Guests are welcome – we are a very friendly club so you don't need to know anyone to join us for an afternoon of fine music and sound.

Venue:  Epping Creative Centre, Dence Park
      Address:  26 Stanley Road, Epping 
      When:  Sunday 9th April 2017

Doors open 1pm
      Meeting starts at 2pm

Best regards,
      Tom Waters
      President
      Sydney Audio Club
    • By TomW
      For our March club meeting we’ll have Leighton Holloway of Holloway Sound present his Carmen loudspeakers.  Leighton is a Sydney based bespoke speaker manufacturer.  He previously worked as an audio installer and for many years as an audio engineer.  He’s been building speakers for many years for family and friends, and in 2014 he decided to turn it into a business.  When he isn’t in his workshop nowadays you’ll find him rehearsing or gigging with his funk band (he plays bass). 

Leighton is enthusiastic and knowledgeable of all aspects of speaker design.  He designs and builds his own cabinets and cross-overs.  And he designs and builds to order, so if you have a particular configuration in mind, Leighton can likely build it.  All are handmade bespoke speakers, made in Sydney by Leighton himself.   Refer to http://www.hollowaysound.com.au/home-1.html

The system will be comprised of some of the following gear.  On the day, we’ll evaluate which combination sounds best in our room.

Holloway Sound Carmen speakers.   Stand-mount 2-way speakers.  Very good transparency, linearity and tonality without harshness.  Leighton will also show a pair of Carmen’s that are partially built so you can see the excellent build quality of the cabinets.  Refer to http://www.hollowaysound.com.au/carmen-series2.html.

Oppo BDP-105D Universal player.  Will be used as a transport and level controller.  Refer to http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/oppo-bdp-105-universal-blu-ray-player-and-dac/ and https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/

Audio GD SA-2 DAC.  A very good sounding DAC built on the respected Burr-Brown 1704 chip.  Refer to http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/SA/SA2/SA2EN.htm.

Classe CP800 preamp/processor.  Refer to http://www.classeaudio.com/products/cp-800.php and http://www.stereophile.com/content/class233-cp-800-da-preamplifier.

Plinius SA-250 Mk4 power amp.  Refer to http://www.pliniusaudio.com/Plinius_Range/Power_Amplifiers/SA_Reference.html and http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/506plinius/index.html. 

Cabling by Synergistic Research, Kimber Kable, Wireworld.

The second half of the music sessions will be our popular BYO.   Members and guests are welcome to offer music to share with us all.  So bring along your favourite music on CD/SACD or USB flash drive.  (Sorry, no vinyl this month.)  All we ask is that the music and recordings be interesting.  And hopefully you’ll tell us a little about the artist/recording before it is played.  Tracks over 6 minutes will be faded out, to give everyone a fair go.

Whether you are a novice or a seasoned veteran, you will have the opportunity to listen, learn and share your experiences with others.  Feel free to come and hear the capabilities of the system, or to just share the experience with like-minded music lovers in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. 

Venue:  Epping Creative Centre, Dence Park
      Address:  26 Stanley Road, Epping

When:  Sunday 12th March 2017

Doors open 1pm
      Meeting starts at 2pm

Best regards,

Tom Waters
      President
      Sydney Audio Club