Classic Hi Fi Sydney

• 4 years later...

I had an amp serviced there and was sorely disappointed. It was a vintage Marantz 1150 that had a sublime sound but developed a tea kettle-like whistling.

After paying my $325 for the repair, I plugged it in and the whistling noise was still there!

They sent it back, but lo-and-behold, the repairer could not hear it, so did nothing. After several months of back and forth, I took the amp home with the whistling sound continuing.

But the story got worse. When I hooked it up at home, I was stunned to hear that the power output was significantly diminished and the beautiful Marantz sound gone. No more warmth, and where I could only take it a third of the way up for my Newtown living room, it now required twice the distance for even a satisfactory listening session.

Saddest hi-fi experience to date. Lesson learned. Be warned.

Postscript: The Marantz 1150 is an amp that would likely go for $2000-3000 in the shop. After the repair, which they stood by, I offered to sell to them for $700 (so less than $400 if you subtract the cost of the repair), and they actually laughed at me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crampoli said:

I had an amp serviced there and was sorely disappointed. It was a vintage Marantz 1150 that had a sublime sound but developed a tea kettle-like whistling.

After paying my $325 for the repair, I plugged it in and the whistling noise was still there!

They sent it back, but lo-and-behold, the repairer could not hear it, so did nothing. After several months of back and forth, I took the amp home with the whistling sound continuing.

But the story got worse. When I hooked it up at home, I was stunned to hear that the power output was significantly diminished and the beautiful Marantz sound gone. No more warmth, and where I could only take it a third of the way up for my Newtown living room, it now required twice the distance for even a satisfactory listening session.

Saddest hi-fi experience to date. Lesson learned. Be warned.

Postscript: The Marantz 1150 is an amp that would likely go for $2000-3000 in the shop. After the repair, which they stood by, I offered to sell to them for $700 (so less than $400 if you subtract the cost of the repair), and they actually laughed at me.

Hmm, that really sucks.  I haven't been to that part of Newton for years, so guess they are still operating?

I remember seeing the stuff in the shop that looked retro cool, but always doubted their pricing considering they hadnt renewed all the caps etc.

Wow 5 year old thread.

• 10 months later...

I just wanted to follow up with the fact that Classic Hi-Fi is under new ownership now. It changed hands over a year ago, so it seems that I need to be fair and make that clear here.

The new owners assured me that they would not have allowed what happened to me previously, so I will have to give them a chance.