Classic Hi Fi Sydney

Are there any members who have purchased equipment or had repairs done through Classic Hi Fi (Newtown, Sydney)? I have heard that they tend to be a bit on the expensive side, both regarding purchases and repairs.

Anyone with any stories to tell?

http://www.classic-hifi.net/

Edited by MusicOne

There was a multi-page thread about the Classic Hifi shop a few years ago but I can't find it now. I was amazed at the fact that they were stocking new Cambridge Audio phono pre-amps at a price higher than the RRP of authorised dealers at the time. Their prices in general though are way over the top.

• Like 6

Are there any members who have purchased equipment or had repairs done through Classic Hi Fi (Newtown, Sydney)? I have heard that they tend to be a bit on the expensive side, both regarding purchases and repairs.

Anyone with any stories to tell?

http://www.classic-hifi.net/

Everything in that shop is expensive except some (only some) of the secondhand vinyl is reasonably priced.

• Administrator

There was a multi-page thread about the Classic Hifi shop a few years ago but I can't find it now. I was amazed at the fact that they were stocking new Cambridge Audio phono pre-amps at a price higher than the RRP of authorised dealers at the time. Their prices in general though are way over the top.

This one I think: http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/27261-outrageous-prices-for-vintage-hi-fi/

Remarkably they sold a pair of B&W 100i that cost about $200 in 1990 for $990! They are probably worth about $75.

I keep mine for nostalgic reasons and plug them in every now and then for a window back into my world when I was 21. But hey I could give up that nostalgia if someone wanted to pay $990 for it. A friend of mine actually likes their sound more than my Quad 11Ls, but he is quiet strange and an unreliable source of information.

I am sympathetic to Classic Hifi, they are restoring some lovely gear and trying to find a market for it while paying rent/salary etc. I've found the guys in there to be very helpful and pleasant, and they have some funky stuff to look at, and they do have some good vinyl every now and then.

• Like 1

yep, it is a nice store in a funky part of newtown, so very trendy and all that. has a nyc village vibe to it.

but pricing is heavy handed and aimed at people who don't know any better, but want something

cool to match the decor in their terrace or warehouse conversion.

Edited by analog brother
  • Like 3

Remarkably they sold a pair of B&W 100i that cost about $200 in 1990 for $990! They are probably worth about $75.

I keep mine for nostalgic reasons and plug them in every now and then for a window back into my world when I was 21. But hey I could give up that nostalgia if someone wanted to pay $990 for it. A friend of mine actually likes their sound more than my Quad 11Ls, but he is quiet strange and an unreliable source of information.

I am sympathetic to Classic Hifi, they are restoring some lovely gear and trying to find a market for it while paying rent/salary etc. I've found the guys in there to be very helpful and pleasant, and they have some funky stuff to look at, and they do have some good vinyl every now and then.

though have never visited them, am sympathetic to their cause too...beautifull old gear has a right to be restored and given a 2nd chance on the shelf :)

have see quite often (even here) bbc ls3/5a's and clones no matter their condition going for many multiples of what they originally retailed for. yam ns1000s what did they retail for back in the day what do people get for them these days ?

people pay for quality and see it even in older gear no matter the age.

good gear never dies....

• Like 1

• Administrator

As per previous discussions regarding this business and their pricing structure, who decides a fair market price for a second hand item? The seller.
Obviously if they're still in business after all these years, they're doing something right.

As they perform repairs, and provide warranty, only they can decide what something is worth, and what the price to acquire, test, restore and repair (where necessary) something, and then offer it for sale.

What you buy from them, cannot really be compared to the un-restored, untested component that can be bought second hand from a private seller.

Red Book springs to mind, and the difference in market price between a dealer and a private sale for second hand cars.

Good on them I say. If they can maintain a fair margin, and remain in business then they are doing something right.

Customer service is surely worth something too.

• Like 2

I've been in there a couple of times. When discussing what they have versus what is currently available they wisely show no recognition of anything new and instead speak highly of what they have on hand. It would be self defeating if they were to acknowledge anything current, wouldn't it? Perhaps they are enthusiasts who genuinely believe that what they have can be competitive. And really, in some cases they may be right. As for the pricing: caveat emptor.

• Like 1

As they perform repairs, and provide warranty, only they can decide what something is worth, and what the price to acquire, test, restore and repair (where necessary) something, and then offer it for sale.

What you buy from them, cannot really be compared to the un-restored, untested component that can be bought second hand from a private seller.

I have heard from multiple, credible sources that this business does not perform servicing on all units that they sell or have sold. Only those that require servicing upon attainment or incur some issue whilst on display.

While staying in Sydney I did make a point to dropping into the shop to see it first hand. I could not believe the prices!

A pair of Celestion Ditton 66's were on display for $3600! The exact same speaker that I could have bought myself some months earlier for $1000!

Buyer beware! Definitely do some homework and ask a lot of questions before you drop some cash or give out your credit card number!

I have heard from multiple, credible sources that this business does not perform servicing on all units that they sell or have sold. Only those that require servicing upon attainment or incur some issue whilst on display.

That's important to note - my past findings were largely the same. Some gear is serviced, some is not, and none of it is 'restored'.

• Administrator

That's important to note - my past findings were largely the same. Some gear is serviced, some is not, and none of it is 'restored'.

I stand corrected then. :)

My perception was otherwise.

Wtf ??

They want $1000 for a rega planar 3 ????

It actually says "as a guide more than $1000"

Says same for a  a planar 2 again for a HITACHI PS-15

:o ....................... :wacko:

Going by this, I have tossed $500 tables in the bin!

Their business model is probably somewhat reliant on location - based in hipster - central Newtown - how could a vintage hifi store not succeed ?

FWIW, I reckon Crown Street is hipster Central ;)

I feel like a sore thumb over there. At least Newtown is 'all inclusive'.

Shopping on Crown Street reminds me of this...

One more NSFW video about hipsters and vinyl...

Cheers,

LF :)

Edited by ferchersan
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1