Sign in to follow this  
ronfishes

Marantz SR7009

I just received it yesterday so I thought i'd post in here that I just started hooking up my new SR7009!

So due to current room and budget contraints all I currently have hooked up is a pair of old VAF DC-X.

Last night I popped it out of the box and quickly hooked it up and ran Audyssey. Well doesn't that little test signal upset the missus at 11pm!

First half hour of listening and I can tell immediately that this receiver has tamed the old DC-X speakers nicely! Audyssey has done the trick quite well on my difficult room/diningroom/openkitchen/hallway with lots of windows.....

So then I quickly setup the Wifi and tried the internet radio. This had some issues of dropping out, although my mobile seemed to be loading web pages fine in the same room on the same router, so will have to see how this goes.

A quick download of some flac onto a usb stick to test that out and to say its an improvement over the old Onkyo is an understatement!

Test songs were:

Frank ocean - Thinkin' about you and Super rich kids.

Filter - Hey man Nice Shot. This was well improved over the old setup, improved separation of instruments etc.

Alice in chains - Jar of Flies, pleasure to listen to.

Flux Pavillion - Bass canon ;)

The main thing I am happy with is the tightening of the base and taming of the highs on the old speakers. I think its mainly the Audyssey at this stage as I have never used it before.

So when I eventually get the time and cash I hope to upgrage the front three speakers and put in probably 4 in ceiling speakers (two on the sides and 2 at the rear) and two zone two speakers outside. Who knows when this will happen!

Next step today I will put the amp in the centre of the cabinet as dragonlady don't like it, and Bi-amp the fronts which appears easy to setup on the menu.

Currently burning it in a bit more with Beck's Seachange flac.

Here's few crappy pics:

IMG_20150325_170259_zps2a9ce7c8.jpg

IMG_20150325_201547_zps9e191018.jpg

IMG_20150325_201626_zpsa50e1916.jpg

IMG_20150326_080943_zps3c41dff0.jpg

Nice setup there!

Nothing wrong with vaf dcx, rounded off nicely with oppo & marantz.

Best bang for buck I reckon

Maybe an 80" 4k next??

Although not many will admit it, with your efficient speakers it probably sounds as good if not better than a lot of dedicated two channel systems especially with room correction etc.

I have a baby Marantz NR1602 just for TV and HDMI switching and I am always amazed at the sound it puts out particularly for movies..

80'' hah, Yeah, this measley little 58'' tv has got at least 5 years in it yet..

Yes, i'm pretty happy with the 2ch sound it is putting out atm, much much much better than when I used my onkyo as a pre with a rotel 1080.

Oppo is out of action atm, had some bad power fluctuations due to storms earlier this year, and the CD loader was only picking up Blu-rays so gonna send it off for repairs.

At least I can just whack in a USB stick for now, trying out Pearl Jam 2011 lecagy edition of Vitalogy now.

So my Oppo returned home today, was wondering if I should still be using the analog outs for 2ch or even 5ch sacds? or just HDMI? the Oppo will probably sit in the box for another 3 weeks depending on spare time.

So my Oppo returned home today, was wondering if I should still be using the analog outs for 2ch or even 5ch sacds? or just HDMI? the Oppo will probably sit in the box for another 3 weeks depending on spare time.

congrats ! have no doubt an awesome AVR. these marantz AVRS supposed to be a good jump up from the previous. 

as to the oppo, probably depends which one it is. the 95, 105 for instance were well endowed when came to analog. all that said given the quality of analog, dac etc in the 7009 it is a good chance it will also do very well hooked over hdmi. I wouldn't personally with an avr like that hook up over multichannel analog definitely. but worth trying both for yourself as am sure will soon hear for yourself which is better and prefer.

ps seeing you are having good run with audyssey. if want to take that further, something worth considering is the audyssey pro ability the marantz comes with. can read a bit in this thread here where a few of us have pro ability to be of good value :)

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/69926-audyssey-multieq-pro-an-end-user-perspective/

Thanks for the link and reply Al, I have the 83SE so I will definitely give both the HDMI and Analog a try when time permits. At least I can switch between the two from memory.

So, after 4 years I have a problem.

I turned on the receiver the other day and no sound. I thought maybe the kids have accidentally changed an input or something, so I tried to bring up setup menu. I could not get that to work, most other basic selections still work such as change input, mute etc.

So now I'm stumped, cost to send to QualiFi is steep from up here, I have an electronic technician mate so he will have a look at some stage, when he gets time..

On 28/05/2019 at 10:18 AM, ronfishes said:

So now I'm stumped, cost to send to QualiFi is steep from up here, I have an electronic technician mate so he will have a look at some stage, when he gets time..

Tried a last ditch factory reset Ron ?

http://manuals.marantz.com/SR7009/EU/EN/GFNFSYvyalrwrt.php