Entry Level of the good turntables?

I am getting ready to spend a bit more money and buy some speakers, closely followed by a turn table. I doubt i will ever have a 10k system.

Drooling through this thread and i can see that what is an expensive table to me, is probably low end to most of you. http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/77945-what-does-your-turntable-sit-on/page-2

What is the entry level of the decent tables in terms of dollars and tables? I think i prefer vintage, i think i will spend 500ish on my next table. 

Guest Hensa

There are plenty of options around the $500 mark for second hand 'vintage' turntables. Thorens, TD160 is a solid turntable as are its siblings, the TD145, 146 and 150. The TD320 is another (some say even better) Thorens option. You then have your Rega and Project options and $500 would get you a Rega Planar 3 or a decent Project deck. Apart from those (and several other belt drives such as Systemdek, Ariston and AR), there are then a stack of Japanese vintage direct drives. Technics, Luxman, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, Sony, Kenwood and JVC all built turntables ranging from lightweight plastic rubbish to heavyweight technological marvels. In between these extremes, there will be plenty around your budget which if in good condition will do a great job and in many cases, look superb! There are also some nice, good quality Dual decks that could come into contention.

An excellent site is linked here: http://audio-heritage.jp/, It's a Japanese site but with auto-translate you can get a feel for the quality of the turntable (mainly Japanese models) and see the original price in Japan - that's usually a pretty good indicator of the quality of build and technology. There is also the English version but it seems to cover fewer brands: http://audio-database.com/. The Vintage Knob website is also excellent.

An option is always to start a 'want to buy' thread and see what gems other members might be hiding in their cupboard.

Finally, don't forget to budget for a cartridge (minimum $50 to $100) and a phono stage if your amp doesn't accomodate a low-level phono signal.

Edited by Hensa

Thanks. I was looking at the technics 1200 and to be honest, i dont like the look of it. Aesthetics do play a part i guess. In my range i have seen a Luxman a522 and Thorens td320. Love the vintage look of both and review of them are great.

Is it going to be a huge step up in performance from my pioneer pl117d? Would it be noticed on Yamaha Cr1040/Jamo Convert 7, or Yamaha AX496/Cerwin Vega setups?

I will slowly build up, add phono stage, and try various amps and speakers. But i am keen to get as much as i can from what i already have where possible..

Lenco L75.  nice vintage look in stock form, and performs well as is.....but is a good base for modifying.    such as the stunning example below....from this thread http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/54543-pimped-lenco-l75/?hl=lenco

the stock pic is mine.

post-129313-0-91916800-1427424949_thumb.

post-129313-0-77230500-1427425060_thumb.

Edited by manchu

• 3 weeks later...

So i bought a new table.

A Yamaha PF800 - i just picked it up tonight, so other than ogling it i have just done a lot of reading and by all account its a fine table.

Will fit in nicely with my Yamaha CR1040 and my soon to be acquired Yamaha 690ii i am on the hunt for.

$_75.JPG

Edited by JPete9
  • Like 6

Well i spent the arvo cleaning it - it will need another go. Something quite satisfying cleaning away the grime and finding unmarked original condition under neath.

Found 3 imperfections.

1. there is a little piece of plastic broken that holds a little ball under the arm - fixable. But need a good night sleep and steady hand...only affects where you park the arm manually, so it snot a big deal.

2. Cover has a few light scratches - i will polish these out.

3. the cuing arm slamm down and bounces - needs re oiling, but the procedure looks complex i will wait until i have more time

4. Everything else I own compared to it!

Even with my cerwin vegas (i still cant understand why these are considered low end - i think they are fantastic!) and using my old Yamaha AX596 i can really hear the difference - its not that i am listening, its actually blatantly obviously better (clearer, more forward?, detailed).

I feel like i need to rebuy all of the cheapo records i have in brand new mint :) having said i have double fantasy (i'm losing you) playing now on a $6 used record and sounds amazing!

I cant believe how silent it is with the platter spinning and the arm queued - to my ears its actually silent - up close and from the speakers.

Bottom line, my listening pleasure has been increased a LOT! and i really dont regret spending the money on it. So i must gotton a great deal. All this on a cheapo cart...cant wait to see how it goes with a nice one.

Once i have my new speakers and my old amp going i will buy the beatles mono box set, wait for the family to head off for the weekend and open a 20yo bottle of scotch i have stashed and ease my way through the weekend...

Here's a pic.

n5q69y.jpg

afk6jo.jpg

Edited by JPete9
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...