Just got a garrard 401 and looking for recommendations for tonearm. Considering EMT 929, SME 3012, Ortofon RMG 309, Audio Technica 1501 mk3?, Jelco. I am hoping for a musical setup rather than a 'vintage collectible'. I have a zyx r100 which I am thinking of reusing on the garrard.

There isn't a lot on the EMT with the Garrard and I have heard conflicting opinion.

Any thoughts? Thank you

I use an EMT 997 with my 301 and it is a fantastic combination. Haven't heard the 929 on anything except an EMT 930...

An option to consider would be James Grant's (Analog Instruments) new arm.

• Like 1

I am hoping for a musical setup rather than a 'vintage collectible'.

One of Duc's 'Univector' arms would certainly sound musical.  Depending on your plinth size, you could even use the 12" (which I have - but not on a Garrard).

Andy

Thank you for the responses.

Analog instruments have a new design with detachable headshell. Wonder if anyone heard that before?

Most ppl seem to go for 12" inch. Besides reduced tracking error any difference in tonality etc?

Analog instruments have a new design with detachable headshell. Wonder if anyone heard that before?

Most ppl seem to go for 12" inch. Besides reduced tracking error any difference in tonality etc?

Watch this space ... headshell currently in transit. Will report when it arrives ...

post-111913-0-76353800-1427077566_thumb.

• Like 5

Anyone heard both Duc's 12" Univector & the Analog Instruments arm.

And could comment?

I cannot comment on sound quality for i have heard both on different set ups. Both can sound great. What is the price of the 2 arms now? As for build quality Duc's arm is much much better made with better materials and finish. 

• Like 2

The Wand from Design Build Listen in NZ.

I have a 401 on a Corian slab with The Wand unipivot as my tonearm.  I've been really happy with its performance.  Like many unipivots it has a really good PRaT.  The large bore carbon fibre tube brings low resonance and high rigidity.  Lovely dynamics with low colouration.

Great price last time I looked too...

• Like 1

Lovely looking plinth, sets off the ebony arm and 401 beautifully. Excuse the OT, but what is the timber? Looks rainforest, Aracauria perhaps?

No, actually it's plane. Also has a nice lattice-like figure along the front. However not a good wood to work with, very inclined to lose its shape. I have another piece, same size, that's unusable :( .

I cannot comment on sound quality for i have heard both on different set ups. Both can sound great. What is the price of the 2 arms now? As for build quality Duc's arm is much much better made with better materials and finish.

I can answer the question of price for you petng......

What was the Analog Instruments arm you heard? Was it the first and now out of product arm was the AU$840 Apparition? This arm was what I'd call a cross over between DIY and a commercial product. It sounded excellent but yes finish was basic but the price was really cheap. It started out at about AU$460!!

The Siggwan is AU$1442, yes no electroplated parts (instead 3 coats of white metal etching primer and 3 coats of oil resistant paint), but this is to keep the price affordable for DIY guys who have re-plinthed big idlers etc. it uses quality materials ie Cardas, ETI plugs, Jelco hydraulic lifter, brass metal work for SQ and imported Cocobolo tonewood.

The latest much more complicated gimballed detachable headshell arm, the Elementum is AU$2190, very time consuming to manufacture.

GoldenAge Audio's Univector 12" arm with continuous wire (as per all the AIL arms) is AU$2145. Isn't it great you can still get hand built with love products in this day and age at such low prices? When you subtract material costs and divide the labour by 20-25 hours, you'll see that we do it for love, not to pay the mortgage!

• Like 1

Although I haven't heard either one of lovetubes or Omegaspeedys tonearms, I find it refreshing to think that 2 "locals" are making tonearms that I am sure would certainly compete with anything else out there.

At the very least in their price range.....and probably with much higher priced tonearms too.

Well done boys.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally set up and running. Immediate impact ... very clearly defined treble and mids and fine even bass. I was able to compare Elementum/Benz Ace/Garrard 301 against Siggwan/Denon 103R/401 fairly directlly as both are connected into the Thoress preamp (P1 and P2) and the Elementum combination was a close but clear winner. Both arms are very fine though :).

post-111913-0-90248100-1428102737_thumb.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...