Finally updated to Paradgim Studio 60s

I finally made the decision for my speaker upgrade (got from Eastwood Hifi), and I don't think they got many left, and with the dropping of the AUD, I decided to make my decision and get it now while the old stock is available. I had to choose between the PAradigm Studio 60s or the Wharfedale Jade 3, and since the Jade 3 are a inefficient speaker when compared to the Paradigms, I went with the Studio 60s. I been planning this for a while to upgrade my speakers.

I have to say paired with my Cambrdige 851e/w and previously having been able to demo this pair, I knew on the whole I made the right decision, especailly with the dac I am using (Teradak Chameleon)

Really can enjoy the mids and highs better (having the dediciated midrange speaker helps).

I recall when I did sample in a shop (only different was the shop was using the 851D) it gave me a fairly good idea what to expect.

And since I notice when using that terdak chamelon dac produces a very sweet like analogue sound, to my listening, this blended in perfect with the cambridge 851e/w paradigm studio 60 pair. And with well recorded music, this will be a great combination.

Edited by Time_Lord
  • Like 2

Paradigm make some very nice gear, I had the Studio100 Reference speakers a few years ago and they were good. I'm sure you will have many years of pleasant listening ahead

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

???  Is this upgrade a good thing (in an absolute sense)?  I see you're in NSW; I suggest you should pay a visit to Bill McLean in Gosford and listen to some Maggies - 1.7s or 3.7s.  Or some older models that he's had as trade-ins. ;)

But you might have to change-over your amp, too.  Maggies don't 'come to life' without several hundred watts.

Regards,

Andy

???  Is this upgrade a good thing (in an absolute sense)?  I see you're in NSW; I suggest you should pay a visit to Bill McLean in Gosford and listen to some Maggies - 1.7s or 3.7s.  Or some older models that he's had as trade-ins. ;)

But you might have to change-over your amp, too.  Maggies don't 'come to life' without several hundred watts.

Regards,

Andy

@ "Andyr"

How does this post assist the OP?  I'm sure the author considered several options before making his choice.  

Just because you love Maggies they don't fit with everyone's situation

• Like 4

Good post Frank.

I really summoned an effort of will to refrain from posting something I may have lived to regret.

Nice to read that the OP is happy and satisfied with his choice of equipment

• Like 2

Jeddie, I had the Wharfedale Diamond 9.3 before hand, and funny enough before I had the 851E/W combo, i used my 650A.

Frank, yes you are correct that I did consider many options. And yes Paradigm do make some good stuff.

Rantan, yes I am very satisfied with my equipment. When I have moments of not feeling well, and having to lie down during the day at times, I find my seup I can enjoy music at low level volumes and still have a good degree of clarity in the overall representation of the music I am listening to.

• Like 3

Good choice Time_Lord, I have a pair of studio 60's which are now rears in my HT system (rather overkill). I also used to have a pair of the studio 20's in my back room, but sold these when I didn't really use them and needed some cash.

Paradigm make quality speakers and IMO are excellent value for money.

Guest Hensa

Well done, Time Lord but where are the pics??!! You know there are some sceptics around here that simply don't believe it till they see the pics!

Enjoy the Paradigm's - very nice speakers!

Good to know that you are enjoying your new 60's

I am considering buying a pair from Steve at Eastwood Hi Fi. I've been a customer since I went to high school at Marist Collage Eastwood in the 80's and he has always looked after me.

At the risk of getting upgrade-itis, can I ask if you considered the 100's at all?

If so, where there any noticible improvements in teh 100's over the 60's that are worth the additional grand?

Would welcome our thoughts?

Abe,

The 100's are worth the extra money.

My 60's used to be my front speakers for several years and when I heard a pair of 100's I was surprised in the extra bass and depth to the music. It was one of the reasons that I eventually upgraded.

When you go listen to the speakers at Eastwood HiFi make sure the speakers are hooked up to a two channel amp. Like you I have bought quite a bit of gear from them and because a lot of their sales are home theatre the speakers are often hooked up to the HT amp.

Hope you have fun, I always like Eastwood HiFi due to their no pressure sales and have found them to be very honest.

Chris

Good to know that you are enjoying your new 60's

I am considering buying a pair from Steve at Eastwood Hi Fi. I've been a customer since I went to high school at Marist Collage Eastwood in the 80's and he has always looked after me.

At the risk of getting upgrade-itis, can I ask if you considered the 100's at all?

If so, where there any noticible improvements in teh 100's over the 60's that are worth the additional grand?

Would welcome our thoughts?

I didn't choose the 100s actually for several reasons.

I know they are better, they do cost another $1000.

I ended up choosing to make a decision and I went in with a limit of no more than $2000 to spend.

ANother factor I had to also consider is the actual weight of the speakers  (the 100 series). Since the 100 model is around 35kg each speaker, I would need help to move them, and because of my declining health, I could see these being a problem for me. So I had to make a choice.

There was a time before my bad health started, I would of been able to carry the Studio 100s on my own with no issues whatsoever, but now, its not possible.

I never listened to the previous Paradigm models in the studio series, but from what I have read about the 60v5, the general opinion of them is that they are a very big improvement over the previous models. I am actually quite amazed at the level of bass and detail on the 60v5 and the midrange (considering the 2.5 way design of the 60s, I always get confused between the 60 and 100, as I know 100 got dedicated midrange but I often confuse that with the 60s as well).

My personal opinion is that alot of effort went into the 60v5 when got redesigned, and from what I have read the midrange on the 60v5 is one of the biggest improvements compared to the previous 60 lines. Being that I have never owned or try out Paradigm speakers in the past I have to take this face value based on what I have read and from other peoples experience.

One thing I do recall is that when I tried the Paradigm 20 and the paradigm 60 side by side in a setup, the 60s just annihilated the 20s.

Speaking of Paradigm how many people own the centre 690 model? I don't know anyone who will use a 30kg centre speaker lol. Also who owns their Sub 2 speaker, the 100kg sub :D

• Like 2

congrats time lord :) great pickup and interesting to hear your reasons for choosing :) lovely speakers have no doubt. and amazingly well built. I owned the cc570 studio ref centre. there is little gear built the way paradigms are in the price point. if wanting a centre…definitely go cc590 or cc690 if considering I doubt would be disappointed ! or the sub for that matter. don't have to go the sub 2 if too heavy and expensive…could always go the sub 1 instead at 50 kg ! :D

http://www.paradigm.com/products-current/model=sub-1/page=specs

I also think Paradigm is good.

One thing that many people ignore is that big speakers in a small room may be overkill. So choose the size of speaker that will fit your room.

Weight like the OP mentioned is also a consideration.

Thanks Gentlemen fpr your feedback. 

The consensus is that both the 60's and 100's are great speakers and each would be a big upgrade to the Jamo towers I have now.

I'll need to give them a serious listen back to back and make a call.

Still have an 18 year old son living at home so weight of the 100's should never be an issue :-)

Welcome to the Paradigm club!! :thumb:

I do own a pair of Studio 60 that I bought from Eastwood Hifi a year ago and I have not had any regrets or second thoughts over these speakers at all. But I guess you have already worked it out how good they are.

• 1 month later...

I managed to get a pair of 100's (Ash Black) here in Perth for $2880, whereas they were looking for $2100 for the 60's so thought the extra $780 worth it for the 100's (hope I've done the right thing).

Was going to look for a 2nd hand pair of Osborn's Eclipse on eBay, but after trying 3 times to get a reply from the seller gave up. When I heard the Studio series were being discontinued and there were only a few 60's & 100's left jumped in feet first today and order the 100's (only Ash Black available, but should still be nice instead of Piano Black). I have mini Monitors and a Centre 3 outside under my Pergola, so have a wee bit of history with Paradigm.

Hoep I've done the right thing jumping in so quickly with the 100's. but got to assume when they arrive it will be worth it (also got some Ribbontek speaker cable coming so hope this will help with the 100's).

Sometimes these blind leaps of faith turn out to be the best move you could ever have taken, your subconscious doing the thinking for you. At some point you can rationalise the decision but, hey, who cares?

• 3 weeks later...

plus 1 for paradigm,i believe the cc590 is best matched to the 60s as a centre speaker

i currently run the 100 s with a 690 center and 4 x 20s a suround and yes it is a bit over kill and yes it is awsome