A slightly belated review of the Lounge Audio MKIII LCR phono stage.

G'day all, although I know that I've mentioned my Lounge Audio MKIII LCR phono stage in various forum threads, I don't think that I've done an official review as such.  I've had mine for about a year now and that is enough time to 'get to know' a phono stage pretty well.  I won't go over everything but instead suggest that readers go to the official 'Lounge Audio' website where all details and specifications are listed along with lots of photos! 

I have to admit that my purchase of this phono stage was instigated by a desire to check out a phono stage using the LCR circuit approach instead of the more usual RC circuit and variations thereof.  Whilst I am yet to be convinced that the LCR circuit approach is superior or preferred, the Lounge Audio MKIII LCR phono stage is a fine phono stage with a unique and very 'cohesive' sound.  It is designed for moving magnet cartridges and provides 40 db of overall voltage gain.  Low output moving coil cartridges can be used of course if a head amp or SUT is used 'ahead' of this phono stage as appropriate.

The Lounge Audio MKIII LCR phono stage is very well designed and built, something that impresses me as a former technician and general electronics DIY guy!  Listening to it, one becomes aware of a 'seamless' quality to the audio with a strong bass end along with excellent transient response and recovered detail.  The Lounge Audio MKIII LCR phono stage is described as a 'dual mono' design and indeed the apparent stereo separation seems particularly impressive compared to other phono stages that I've used and evaluated.    

The use of inductors in RIAA equalisation is intriguing to me as 'matching' would seem to be a possible difficulty, but Robert Morin (of Lounge Audio) assures me of no difficulties in this respect and 'unit to unit' matching/consistency is excellent.

Phono cartridge 'hiss' is amongst the lowest I've noted, and somewhat like the intriguing ANT Kora 3T SE that I have, the hiss has an apparent but slight bass bias (of academic interest only).  Especially for the low asking price, this phono stage represents outstanding quality and performance.  Highly recommended!  Regards, Felix.     

Edited by catman

G'day all, a bit of a sad update.  I was playing a record with the Lounge this morning and noticed something amiss with the left channel, slightly low level and a 'soft crackling' on that channel, but the right channel is fine and normal. 

I will contact Lounge Audio and see what they suggest, but sending it back for repair isn't really an option for me.  For what it's worth, I did plug in my DIY ESP P06 which is perfect on both channels and the fault returned on the Lounge when reconnected, so the issue seems to be with the Lounge.  Oh well, that's my sort of luck!  Regards, Felix. 

G'day all, and yes yet another update and the fault has completely cleared!  I hope that this isn't an 'intermittent', but so far all is ok!  Regards, Felix.       

• 5 months later...
Guest gnnett

Hi Felix

Have just had the same issue with left channel going down. Turned off unplugged and plugged back in and all seems okay again. Like you concerned that it could be intermittent fault, so did yours reoccur and did you get any comment from Lounge?

Cheers

Grant

• 5 months later...

G'day mate, in all honesty I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with this Lounge Audio MK3 LCR phono stage.  The reality is that the more I listen to it, the more I like it, but there is a tendency to a slight 'softness' in its playback quality that might be described as totally non fatiguing. 

In that respect I think that I prefer the stronger 'attack' of my Bruce Heran and ESP P06 phono stages.  However as usual YMMV.  No other technical issues in any respect.  It is a perfectly reliable and well built phono stage.  Regards, Felix.       

Edited by catman
  • Like 1

G'day mate, in all honesty I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with this Lounge Audio MK3 LCR phono stage.  The reality is that the more I listen to it, the more I like it, but there is a tendency to a slight 'softness' in its playback quality that might be described as totally non fatiguing. 

In that respect I think that I prefer the stronger 'attack' of my Bruce Heran and ESP P06 phono stages.  However as usual YMMV.  No other technical issues in any respect.  It is a perfectly reliable and well built phono stage.  Regards, Felix.       

Soooo, Felix ... where does your A.N.T "Kora" - SLA powered - fit into all this?

Regards,

Andy

G'day mate, equally at the top.  Andyr:  What is your experience with the back panel 'bias' control?  Regards, Felix. 

I have no experience with it, Felix - you need to ask LPM (who owns the Kora).

Andy

I have no experience with it, Felix - you need to ask LPM (who owns the Kora).

Andy

Its actually a very hard question for me to answer Andy and Felix.  Apparently it was provided to adjust the DC bias of the unit (within the set parameters the rotary knob allowed) so that one could could find the best/ideal setting to match the Kora to a particular cartridge.  Even adjusting to both of the extremes the control provided didn't change the sound much except that at a point (about the middle would you believe :D ), the focus seemed to be the best for clear, precise instrument location.  So I adjusted 'by ear' with a good friends help with the listening but honestly it was very hard for me at least to discern any real differences In practice - they were subtle to say the least :unsure: .  I ended up with mine set at about 1/3 CW from the left stop looking from the rear of the unit Felix with my Shure M97xE/SAS and I did feel it was best but don't ask me to prove it with a blind test :oops: .  I just leave it at the same setting with my other 2 Shures but have never tried playing with the adjustment with my DL160 which may well be different (or not).

Frankly, I don't think one could go wrong just setting it about middle and simply enjoying a fantastic phono stage.

• Like 1

The LCR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct. I'm no expert in the field of phono stages, however I did some research on the Lounge Audio and bought one back in March last year. A definite improvement over the stage in my int amp at the time (Denon PMA1500r). Robert Morin is the designer and he was very prompt in liaising with me. I have it hooked up to my RP3 and Parasound gear. Look alright to. I'm not one of these types who has 2 or 3 stages to compare. There a some positive reviews that they compare to anything up to $1000. Buying direct from the manufacturer helps also. Thanks, Matt. (Ps. Nice rain here at the moment).
  • Like 1

Correct. I'm no expert in the field of phono stages, however I did some research on the Lounge Audio and bought one back in March last year. A definite improvement over the stage in my int amp at the time (Denon PMA1500r). Robert Morin is the designer and he was very prompt in liaising with me. I have it hooked up to my RP3 and Parasound gear. Look alright to. I'm not one of these types who has 2 or 3 stages to compare. There a some positive reviews that they compare to anything up to $1000. Buying direct from the manufacturer helps also. Thanks, Matt. (Ps. Nice rain here at the moment).

Where? It's sunny in Sydney this morning.

Got any pics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where? It's sunny in Sydney this morning.

Got any pics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pomonal, near Halls Gap..... Grampians. No pics, sorry. (Picture rural setting with nice steady rain.....and listening to a bit of Mark Knopfler, Tracker on vinyl). Matt