The most critical component in a system, the power amp?

Do you think you would be able to pick a solid core cable to a multi with out knowing which is which or where in the system its used ?

As you should know, there are no guarantees in audio, but I have been around audio for decades and have yet to hear a stranded cable I could live with in my system and NO, I don't subscribe to the DBT regime. I think I know by now what I like and what suits my system of the time.

• Like 2

Cat 5 is so over rated and if your going to use silver plated copper you might as well use sterling silver wire .

I know I'll get stoned for this one but..... ......skin effect. Yes it happens at audio frequencies. Fine copper with a silver plate means that most of the signal travels down the copper. Yes you could use solid core sterling silver. But pure silver (where I get it any rate) is not that expensive. I make a lot of PLATTED pure silver interconnects from bare pure silver wire. I use silver solder too.

I make a lot of PLATTED pure silver interconnects from bare pure silver wire. I use silver solder too.

Why would you plate pure silver wire with silver ? :)

If you believe in skin effect wouldn't it be better to use the thingest gauge wire made out of pure silver for its conductivity and not worry about plated wire .

• Like 1

Why would you plate pure silver wire with silver ? :)

If you believe in skin effect wouldn't it be better to use the thingest gauge wire made out of pure silver for its conductivity and not worry about plated wire .

verb (used with object), platted, platting.
to plait; braid.

I was listening to music played through my phone yesterday and found that as I typed I was tapping my foot and nodding my head along with the music. Expensive rigs be a luxury - give me good music. 

That's because foot-tapping is a response to music, not to sound quality. PRAT-thusiasts to note.

• Like 1

Yes.. yes.. this is my point. Consider the contrast, these will be much  easier to differentiate than any two amplifiers:

8426576371436-325x325.jpg

VS

Ultima%20S%20+%20Sub.jpg

There is no way the two above will sound remotely similar.

to be fair...

you could do the same with amps....

try these two very different amps for instance ...

kassai_01.jpg

vs

011013Dagostino-600.jpg

and as BN has shown even in the same family quite a difference between krells as well 

even amps with the same basis e.g. the belcanto mono's vs the wyred 4 sound ice mono's

Bel%20Canto%201.jpg

1227115118.jpg

even blind freddy in a well constructed DB ABX would easily pick between those two 100 % ! 

really though....at end of it you dont listen to an amplifier or just a speaker...you listen to a speaker amp combination with rest of the system feeding it....

• Like 4

@al,

get it right on SNA,  man.......its a Dan D'Agostino.....not a krell product......

you should be reported for getting that wrong!........ :P  :D  :huh:

Ops  I think I just got myself Banned :ban:

If I do get banned, can someone buy a Dan D' Agastino product and donated to me........please, pretty please with cherry on top, while  I dropped to my knees begging!    :thumb:

post-118179-0-17902400-1425686942_thumb.

Edited by pchan
  • Like 1

@al,

get it right on SNA, man.......its a Dan D'Agostino.....not a krell product......

you should be reported for getting that wrong!........ :P:D :huh:

Ops I think I just got myself Banned :ban:

If I do get banned, can someone buy a Dan D' Agastino product and donated to me........please, pretty please with cherry on top, while I dropped to my knees begging! :thumb:

We know dan was the man when comes to krell. But no I was talking about BN's post where he said in the krell family how amps can sound different :)

I used to run thick wires to my speakers. Very cumbersome being 3-way active, at that time.

Imagine my surprise when I used CAT-5 cables (I'm a network engineer) and the acoustics measures *exactly* the same!!

Same, I've got expensive big thick Furutech retail about 1k cable sitting in a box and use Cat5, cables are the biggest waste of money for no real sonic benefit.. 

• Like 3

Not good enough. You must upgrade to CAT-6. And not just any CAT-6, it must be this one

Faarrk.. I have been living under the rock! These CAT-6 should serve my routers & switches well too.. at $7,000 they are a steal!.. less packet collisions  :)

Edited by gainphile
  • Like 2

Guest fordgtlover

Faarrk.. I have been living under the rock! These CAT-6 should serve my routers & switches well too.. at $7,000 they are a steal!.. less packet collisions  :)

or at least you will hear that packet collision in all of its glorious audiophile endorsed detail  :thumb:

• Like 1

or at least you will hear that packet collision in all of its glorious audiophile endorsed detail  :thumb:

Hah, you won’t be able to hear it, it has packet collision avoidance  at that price,  only the purity of that waveform...... :D

Edited by pchan

At $7000 they may be but you forgot that the price is in pounds and after conversion they start to get a bit expensive.  :(

The most critical component in a system, ?

Its has to be audiofool $$$ :hiccup  hocus pocus voodoo pixie star dust magick.  :thumb:  :love  :party

The results are often quite surprising and entertaining, to say the least.  :D
Edited by DC1138
  • Like 1

@al,

get it right on SNA,  man.......its a Dan D'Agostino.....not a krell product......

you should be reported for getting that wrong!........ :P  :D  :huh:

Ops  I think I just got myself Banned :ban:

If I do get banned, can someone buy a Dan D' Agastino product and donated to me........please, pretty please with cherry on top, while  I dropped to my knees begging!    :thumb:

When Dan was over here for the 2013 audio show I jokingly said to him " I hear Krell are looking for a new engineer". I got a half a snigger. Ozzie humor. The yanks just don't get it. I did have a great chat with his misses who was real nice.
  • Like 1