Sign in to follow this  
LogicprObe

On the grog!

Guest yamaha_man

5791-0w300h300__Coopers_Brewery_Ltd_Coop

Coopers Sparkling Ale for me :hiccup

Hate the new hipster slim line stubbies but love the content.

Yes.......another fine drop.

I think I prefer the Pale Ale though.............

The Pale Ale is a nice drop, but somewhat like a detuned version of the Sparkling Ale, IMO.

Indeed... they don't fit into my little 6 pack esky any more... :mad:

Here is another truly excellent beer from Coopers:

http://www.coopers.com.au/#/our-beer/ales-stout/extra-strong-vintage-ale/

Our_Beer_Hero-Vintage-6.png

Not cheap at around $90 per carton, but it's worth it. I don't think I've ever had another beer with such delicate and complex fruity notes. Quite strong tasting (in a good way) and I usually only drink one stubby with a nice meal... also around 8% so not a beer you'd normally want to drink one after the other... can't wait for the 2015 vintage to be released.

Edited by Jesco

Fortunately they didn't reduce the content size. Still 375ml. (I was afraid they might have shrunk to 330ml when I first saw the new bottles).

no, no, no. Sparkling Ale is the original Coopers brew. Pale Ale is but a pale version of it. Not bad, but not a patch on the original.

I thought stout was their original brew?

Not cheap at around $90 per carton, but it's worth it. I don't think I've ever had another beer with such delicate and complex fruity notes. Quite strong tasting (in a good way) and I usually only drink one stubby with a nice meal... also around 8% so not a beer you'd normally want to drink one after the other... can't wait for the 2015 vintage to be released.

Yes, Vintage Ale is one to savour. A very nice drop indeed.

I thought stout was their original brew?

I believe that their stout and sparkling ale were both original brews, dating back to 1862 (as far as I can tell).

Yes, Vintage Ale is one to savour. A very nice drop indeed.

I still have a six pack of the 2013 vintage and a whole carton of the 2014 vintage... thinking maybe I should finish off the 2013 vintage - anyone have an idea how long ales keep for before deteriorating?

Guest Muon

I still have a six pack of the 2013 vintage and a whole carton of the 2014 vintage... thinking maybe I should finish off the 2013 vintage - anyone have an idea how long ales keep for before deteriorating?

I used to think about 3hrs tops!

I think i was wrong though, and maybe it was part of a personal agenda at the time :unsure:

beer_7064.jpg

Of all the many, many beers in this world that I have enjoyed this one, Newcastle Star, is without doubt my favourite. Made by the people who continue to bring us Newcastle Brown Ale the Star totally outshone (pun intended) it's better known stable mate. No longer in production, it has been retired it seems. It was a beer to get your teeth into, rich, luscious and breathtaking. At 8.2% (or was it just 8%) three or four was a great session indeed. I recall, and only just, Christmas 2002 when I had six of these before Xmas dinner. The bottle of red afterwards was not entirely necessary.

Yes.............I think the most I have drunk of these is eight in one session.

Only bought 2 cases so far.

Guest yamaha_man

I have 1 or 2 2010 left, each time l crack one it seems much better than the last.

Have maybe 6 2013 left, will buy this years carton when l get home.

I'm told the Coopers Vintage Ale peaks at about three years old but I've not the patience to be able to test that.

Had a nice glass of this Yea Riesling(Trelllis)Trellis_Riesling_2013_HR__96537.14151517 last night with dinner and it was marked at 15 bucks off retail so had to grab it very nice.

I've been on a weight loss kick since a couple of days before that other thread started up that LP isn't keen on.

Two and a half weeks and I'm 6kgs lighter and alcohol continues to be the present at the end of the day. No particular goal in mind(well I do need @@evil c to stop calling me a fat bastar.d) apart from the curiosity factor which is to see how far I could go with it and still enjoy good food and wine and a beer.

5.2 diet is good by all reports but I'm trying 16.8 for awhile to see how that goes, it's as much about willpower than anything else and the thought of a glass of chilled French bubbly and another(who only has one glass of French fffs?)is as good of a carrot as I can think of.

And the form guide on a Sat arvo wouldn't be the same without a Coppers red label in hand as I pick yet another loser so some things shouldn't be changed should they.

40 minute session on my treadmill equals on a good day about 500 calories burnt and on a bad day about 400, on a shite day it equals nothing because I didn't get on it...but, a stubby of Coopers Pale ale =131 calories. A good day means I can have three beers but as I don't drink three beers everyday then that goes in the cunning kick for the weekend.

I'm enjoying my 'health kick' :thumb:

I'm told the Coopers Vintage Ale peaks at about three years old but I've not the patience to be able to test that.

For me it depends on the vintage year. And my mood. Sometimes I much prefer a fresh one... sometimes I prefer an aged one. I have a stack of Vintage cartons down in my cellar, ranging from 2011 to 2014. The 2012s are tasting very bloody good right now, I didn't think much of them when they were fresh. 

And being a bit of a Coopers historian, I can say that a version of Sparkling Ale was the first beer that Thomas Cooper brewed, however it wasn't very similar.. different malt, different hops, different yeast. The current version of Sparkling Ale only dates back about 10 years. From some time last century there was anywhere up to 10% sugar in the recipe, which boosts alcohol content but not flavour. Dr Tim Cooper quite rightly worked on ridding the sugar from the Sparkling Ale and Pale Ale recipes. Now they are all malt, and a higher quality product. Stout still uses anywhere up to 5% sugar in the recipe. Also the yeast strain was changed from a dual strain to a single strain about 15 years ago. It was and still is a contentious decision, some say that it has changed the flavour. 

Coopers Pale Ale has been around in some form since the early 1900s. It used to be known as 'Light Dinner Ale'. It was relaunched in keg form as Original Pale Ale in 1989, with the bottled product appearing a year later.

Tonguing for a beer right now...............................but I have to use the power saw............should be able wait until 6.00...............maybe...........

Guest Muon

Tonguing for a beer right now...............................but I have to use the power saw............should be able wait until 6.00...............maybe...........

Ffft!

You have two hands don't you?

One for saw, and one for beer!  Getting old mate ;)

5 oclock Friday  Coopers time

On the sweet stuff this evening...afternoon?

bulleit-rye-whiskey-940x622.jpg

Guest Muon

Ffft!

Hmm....maybe best to ignore that post, I recall nearly putting a 4" nail through my hand, and actually nailing my boot to a floor with again a 4" nail .

Yup! I was wearing the boot at the time, went through just behind the steel cap and between the big toe and the one next to it :lol:

Now I'm imagining what a circular saw might do :o

Edited by ortofun

5791-0w300h300__Coopers_Brewery_Ltd_Coop

Coopers Sparkling Ale for me :hiccup

Trying it for the first time tonight, watching the footy (muted) while playing some vinyl.

Very nice.... I'll be drinking it again.

Ffft!

I still want to play guitar!

........up to number nine now...............bath and bed isn't far away!

Bath is done.............so is the beer................got coffee, apple pie, blueberries and cream...............I'll end up fat again.