Sound isolation on Ikea Kallax shelving system

Hi,

I would like any advice from experienced members concerning the installation of my system on Ikea Kallax shelves. 

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/80275849/

After much deliberation I've decided to place an Ikea Kallax shelf on top of the mantlepeice in my studio. (see photos)

The fireplace is all in Marble, so very heavy and relatively good in terms of minimizing vibration from the floor. The mantlepiece itself was too narrow for my amp and TT, so the kallax shelf positioned on top increases the depth by 10 cm, and I can now place my system, albums in a relatively compact space.

Question -  I am wondering wether I should isolate the entire shelving system from the mantlepiece? ie. either via sorbothane feet or somekind of rubber matting akin to that found on turntable mats?

I will also have to house my phono pre amp, dac and rega TTPSU on the shelf.

I'm now living in France and there is a good online store Audiophonics that supplies spikes, feet and isolation equipment, if anyone is interested in having a look and letting me know if there is a good product to use:

http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/spikes-feet-c-39.html#/

I will also have to attach the shelving system to the wall for security.

Any advice is more than welcome.  Good to be back on the forum after a few months transition settling in overseas.

Cheers,

Miles

post-144072-0-96044900-1425220975_thumb.

post-144072-0-64925500-1425221014_thumb.

post-144072-0-18716300-1425221034_thumb.

Edited by Milos

If it was me I wouldn't be placing the turntable on top like that. Instead I would find some shelf or even a slab of granite to provide the additional 10cm depth required placed directly on top of the mantle as it looks very solid and your effectively ruining all its advantages by placing the Kallax on top which I think would vibrate like crazy.

Fit some small Ikea legs to the Kallax and place on the floor (room appears to be fairly large so it will also assist with room acoustics.

• Like 2

If it was me I wouldn't be placing the turntable on top like that. Instead I would find some shelf or even a slab of granite to provide the additional 10cm depth required placed directly on top of the mantle as it looks very solid and your effectively ruining all its advantages by placing the Kallax on top which I think would vibrate like crazy.

Fit some small Ikea legs to the Kallax and place on the floor (room appears to be fairly large so it will also assist with room acoustics.

I didn't initially think to put the shelf on top of the mantlepiece, I bought it just to house the vinyl... but got home and tried it out and liked it...also it does resolve a number of the space problems I have.  Yes, the room is large, but it's also my work space and it will soon be filled with other stuff. I do agree that the Kallax shelf will vibrate though - as you mentioned I initially thought about a granite/marble shelf to put on top of the mantlpiece but this problem was resolved by the shelves... I may look into this at a later date. I'm just so keen to get everything up and running.

thanks for the advice.

M

Ozcall,

yes, I've been thinking about the rega wall mount too.  Put the TT on the wall and then the amp directly on the mantlepiece (ikea shelves go back on the floor), but the only problem is I would have to put the amp sideways and the mantlepiece and aestheticly this is not to my likeing!

Other (important) point I didn't mention - the additional height made by the shelfs on the fire place means my young daughter can't fiddle (break) any of my stuff!!!

Cheers,

M