UPS for JVC X-35

• Volunteer

Hey guys,  I have this UPS for my JVC X-35

http://www.cpsww.com.au/Product/Product/GetProduct?id=1&mid=30#.VPLLTOFtTYQ

I usually don't use the pj when there's a storm about but last nights storm was on us so quickly that I heard the first thunder clap and within seconds the power went out.

My problem is that the UPS did absolutely nothing, except go into alarm mode, according to the specs it should've given me 2 mins of power, which would've been time enough to shut down the pj but as soon as the power went out so did the pj, luckily I had not had it on for long so it wasn't particularly hot and wasn't damaged.

My question for all of you out there with a better understanding of how much power is needed etc is, what size UPS should I have, is the one I have too small or just a dud?

Edit:  JVC Power specs:

Power Requirement AC 110-240V, 50/60Hz

Power Consumption 330W (Standby: 0.4W)

Edited by Kazz

hi Kazz, what we do know with the x35 is it consumes 330W

I dont think enough info there in the link to make sure on suitability,

I would personally return it, and use the tool most providers have to spec a ups.

eg

http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/AU/en/home/load

Thanks Al, I didn't even know that existed, I'll feed in the details and see what it suggests.

my original link doesn't seem to work for some reason, try the main apc home page, go to au region. and ups selector

select home>home office and small business

then

select by load,

put in 330W and submit

I have a BrickLCD650 on my NAS/router/cable modem. It runs that stuff for more than 30 minutes when required.

Did you have the PJ plugged into the correct outlets ? These are only UPS on one side and surge on the other :)

Edited by huxmut

• Volunteer

I have a BrickLCD650 on my NAS/router/cable modem. It runs that stuff for more than 30 minutes when required.

Did you have the PJ plugged into the correct outlets ? These are only UPS on one side and surge on the other :)

Yep I checked that last night because my first thought was that I had somehow plugged it into the wrong side.

Maybe the PJ needs a "true" sine wave UPS ?

I noticed that the Brick will run many things I had to hand at the time, but it wouldn't run a fish tank filter pump properly. In fact the noises were down right disturbing :(

I've found a sure fire cure for moments like this, times of doubt. Spend more money :)

• Like 1

• Volunteer

by the way "brick" is probably the worst name for something like this...I'd be paranoid plugging anything into it...in case it "bricked" it :D

You might be right Al.................. :D:P :o

Maybe the PJ needs a "true" sine wave UPS ?

I noticed that the Brick will run many things I had to hand at the time, but it wouldn't run a fish tank filter pump properly. In fact the noises were down right disturbing :(

I've found a sure fire cure for moments like this, times of doubt. Spend more money :)

Yep throwing money at the problem generally does the trick........ :o

From having a good long read on various other forums and sources today, it seems you may be right about the tru/pure sine wave UPS so I'm looking at the options, and if possible ones that won't break the bank too much further than I already have in the last 12 months.  :unsure::wacko: :ph34r:

I have a few of these around home and plan on connecting my projector to one too

EDIT: Link didn't work

Had a look at that one but it doesn't have pure sinewave output.

hi kazz are power outs a major issue out your way ? just thinking the odd chance of a power out with having the pj on and resulting in the lamp going blink. whether warrants having a ups on it all the time. the thing with ups's is that they are basically like batteries and eventually with the charge discharge cycles they tend to die. or when the time actually when they are needed they dont perform.

maybe worth just checking the price of a new globe for the jvc...and weigh up whether justifies purchasing and maintaining a ups :)

Guest myrantz

in general, ups don't work with high current devices. e.g. some ups will specifically tell you not to connect laser printers to the backed up power points.

Doing so will either deplete the battery instantly or overload the inverter thingy.

I'm guessing a projector falls under the same class. It may well work first time when new or with fresh batteries, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Not aware of any specific UPS that works with high current devices, but they should be available. Doubt they would be cheap or compact though.

• Volunteer

We do have a lot of power outages and lots of brownouts up here, soon as the wind picks up, or the rain comes down, or the weather gets too hot or pretty much anytime lol.  Lots of branches down on the lines.

From what I've read pj's are ok to connect up to a ups as long as it has enough output.

• Like 1