JVC X500 Projector

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know my thoughts on the X500 from JVC.

Back story:

Said to the wife I wanted to buy a new TV, was looking at the 79" LG or Samsung (both in 4K) but the price for them was crazy. So I said projector. Said to the wife I am going to get a cheap Sony (about $3500) and walked away with the JVC and a screen technics Matrix white 140" cinemascope screen (same as the demo room screen I seen it on)

Huge screen and some said that light output was an issue, but in my room I run it in low lamp mode and it's still very bright. I'm adding black curtains so we can watch it during the day but for now we only really use it at night.

If anyone is worried about the low light output don't be. I'd be happy to show anyone my setup so they could see it for themselves. Most want the Epson and the like as they are light masters. But the detail and blacks on the JVC are awesome.

The Fifth Element pics are out of the box pics. The Star Wars ones are after a bit of calibration

Anyway here are a few pics of it :-) Just gotta get someone out to put a power point on the roof and hide the cables and remove the ceiling fan and add some cinema seating

Other equipment:

Onkyo 805
Samsung BD player (US model)
Denon 3930 DVD/SACD
Dvico S1 Media Player
Minix 8-H Plus 4K media player
Klipsch F3 mains
Klipsch F1 rears
Klipsch C20 centre
2x SVS 12" subs
Bose 201 Back surrounds

Steve

post-146408-0-42809600-1424641115_thumb.

post-146408-0-58832700-1424641125_thumb.

post-146408-0-04825000-1424641135_thumb.

post-146408-0-10395200-1424641146_thumb.

post-146408-0-91712300-1424641165_thumb.

post-146408-0-44685900-1424641171_thumb.

• Like 1

Glad to hear you're happy with your purchase.

I love my X500.  It's funny, I was worried about light output as well, particularly because I intended to watch it during the day.  That was until I saw a unit running as a demo, and the sales rep opened the doors and the light flooded in - and it was still highly watchable, so I bought it.

I did a little calibration myself, but have settled on the Cinema setting, that suits my taste.  Also it's such a quiet unit in low lamp mode, which is what I run.  A good idea to put a power point at the unit, I ended up doing that for the instances I need a hard reset, very handy to have.

I went the 120" Grandview screen, 16:9.

Good work!

• Like 1

nice one ! congrats on the purchase :)

yes the JVCs have come a long way with the last couple of generations really being pretty good light wise…yes the likes of the epson (which have owned myself) can be light cannons with ridiculous output if needed. but then I ran it too on eco low lamp for best accuracy…and then it compares similarly with the jvc in any case.

can highly recommend getting a light meter if don't have one…and then can dial up the iris to perfection…so can have it at spot on brightness now and then with couple of clicks of adjustment on the iris can keep it looking spot on as the lamp ages :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

In the 2nd last pic, you see white blinds on the right and an opening on the left. That's where I am putting black blockout curtains so that it can be dark during the day. Just getting quotes on it all so should have it in a month or so. That way the wife is happy I am not taking away from the view of the pool (out on the right side where the white blinds are) and then when we want to watch something we draw them and BOOM :-)

I've owned Epson/Sanyo/Panasonic projectors in the past, but this JVC is simply awesome. I ran some 4K content to it (demo stuff mostly) and it displayed it no issues and looked amazing. I know it's not a true 4K projector, but it looked great to me and this was a LOT cheaper than the $15K odd for the sony.

EDIT:

Oh and no light metre, but I'll look into one. I used some settings I found on a site and that's used in the Star Wars pics. Was a lot better. It runs in low lamp mode and it's still very bright :-)

Edited by OzSteve

Thanks guys,

In the 2nd last pic, you see white blinds on the right and an opening on the left. That's where I am putting black blockout curtains so that it can be dark during the day. Just getting quotes on it all so should have it in a month or so. That way the wife is happy I am not taking away from the view of the pool (out on the right side where the white blinds are) and then when we want to watch something we draw them and BOOM :-)

I've owned Epson/Sanyo/Panasonic projectors in the past, but this JVC is simply awesome. I ran some 4K content to it (demo stuff mostly) and it displayed it no issues and looked amazing. I know it's not a true 4K projector, but it looked great to me and this was a LOT cheaper than the $15K odd for the sony.

EDIT:

Oh and no light metre, but I'll look into one. I used some settings I found on a site and that's used in the Star Wars pics. Was a lot better. It runs in low lamp mode and it's still very bright :-)

good to hear, f looking for a good affordable light meter, this is the one suggested to zammo, and what i use myself with my jvc

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/76909-jvc-dla-x700/?p=1269218

good to hear, f looking for a good affordable light meter, this is the one suggested to zammo, and what i use myself with my jvc

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/76909-jvc-dla-x700/?p=1269218

Thank you sir. Will order one today :thumb:

That way once the curtains are in I can calibrate it, and the sound (as I've lost the mic for the Onkyo) with my SPL meter

• Like 1

We have curtains in the room with the projector, but I found a lot of light comes in through via the top and bottom, so we installed roller shutters.  They've been fantastic because when they're open you get an uninterrupted view to the outside, and when closed when get 100% darkness.  Obviously a pricey fix, but it's suited our needs very well.

• Like 2

I only use blackout blinds, with light in the room what have found myself is direct light on the screen is a killer…that has to be blocked 100%. and with block out blinds you will need to do pelmets and if particular will need to be careful there is no leakage at the bottom of the curtains and sides.

indirect light will probably get away with any little bits of leakage. but yeah as per kaynin if can pony up for roller shutters thats pretty much 100% blackout at a press of a button :)

I had a measure and quote done on saturday. Total blockout and with a pelmet and to the floor curtains. It should be 99% ok with blocking the light as I can't really add anything else as there are stacked windows on the other side

(sorry about the mess outside lol but had to move everything from the end of the cyclone on the weekend)

post-146408-0-77915300-1424648886_thumb.

• Like 1

I had a measure and quote done on saturday. Total blockout and with a pelmet and to the floor curtains. It should be 99% ok with blocking the light as I can't really add anything else as there are stacked windows on the other side

(sorry about the mess outside lol but had to move everything from the end of the cyclone on the weekend)

you'll be fine. the pelmets will take care of the top and leave enough coverage to the sides to prevent any side leakage. for the bottoms you might still get some little amount of leakage….I bought some "sausages" from bunnings…happened to be same colour as our curtains, they are the kind of things used under doors to prevent draughts…a couple of those thrown at the base of the curtain will take care of any light leakage there if you see it as an issue :)

having the ability to fully enjoy the system at daylight hours is a huge bonus and worth the expense your going to with the blackout. especially summer days where can get fully dark quite late. sonically the curtain with blackout will help things as well removing the hard reflective window surface. so win all around I'd say :)

• Like 1