Sign in to follow this  
Darren69

Off the grog!!

Well, hi fi should soak up any and all saved dollars and keep my mind occupied with all sorts of useless crap.

Best of luck Darren, if I recall correctly this has been something you've given a bit of thought to in the past - SNA may have collectively talked you out of starting just before Christmas last year. Everyone is right behind you now, no question.

I can never do more than a couple of months myself, however those dry spells are getting more frequent.

You could be onto something with the gen x'ers: previous gens may now be older and more responsible, gen y's are still young enough not care and the x'ers still young enough to be open to temptation but some have enough life experience to see trouble coming and act on it.

Congrats on taking the hardest step.

Not buying grog certainly frees up quite a bit of money that can be put to musically productive purchases :)

darren sounds like your setting aside good amount of time for exercise…but perhaps wrong sort of exercise…or just eating more…both are commonly what tends to balance off any increased effort I tend to put in..ie exercise more and then tend to find myself just wolfing down more ! :D or just doing exercise but not really anything really getting the heart going. e.g. can walk 7 km but if its just a stroll probably not going to do much vs a brisk walk :) I've found the same with bike riding. can do it and doesn't have much of a dent if anything …just depending on pace.

I've lost a few since quitting my job before christmas..given me more time to get some exercise and also keeping closer look at my diet…still a bit of my goal though. I used to be well over the 100kg. ripped back to about 92-3 till I got my last job and it just stayed there ! intact went a bit up…but managed tp pull back finally…but trying desperately to bring under 85kg and will work n driving under that when get there :)

Yes, all valid points Al and did come to a point where the walking wasn't getting my heart rate up.

Now, if am not sweaty, I walk faster and jog in between. If you have ever been unfortunate enough to see me running, you would be in no doubt that my heart rate is certainly up, haha!!

I will then have a good brekky (is good for you I believe, gets the metabolism up) and then not much more for the rest of the day.

I tell a fib, I sometimes have a bad habit of eating late at night, (bikkies and milk etc) when on here or relaxing watching telly etc. Need to stop that immediately.

Will be interesting to see how much drops off simply from not drinking beer though.

Forget breakfast. The argument that this is "the most important meal of the day" is utter bullshit and a myth perpetuated by cereal companies to make you buy their sugar-laden high-GI crap.

I sometimes have a bad habit of eating late at night, (bikkies and milk etc) when on here or relaxing watching telly etc. Need to stop that immediately.

This is my Golden Rule and one which helped me enormously.

I would routinely eat late at night while watching football or movies, or even while reading and doing this effectively means you are going to bed with a lot of un digested food inside you. When you eat is just as important as what you eat and it is absolutely critical that you don't eat after about 8PM, especially carbs with fat.

Stuff like refined white carbs ( bread and baguettes and the like ) with deli meats and cheese,which make for perfect football watching snacks, are just a disaster pretty much anytime, but at night they are diabolical for anyone prone to weight gain.

Actually, refined white carbs like white rice ,white bread, pasta, all manner of bread rolls like  foccacia etc are a no -go zone for anyone wanting to lose weight and this was the stuff that I craved most and still miss most, but I have vowed never, ever to gain the weight again so they are now pretty much banished in favour of a lot fruit and veg, which I now enjoy and actually crave.

I was told by a guy who was an ex Navy boot camp instructor that weight loss is 90% in the kitchen and only 10% on the track or in the gym and he wasn't wrong

when I did run for kids rob de costello suggestion was a cup of tea and a couple of toasts and jam before running the longest distance…ever since then my breakfasts have been very light one toast cup of tea for a normal day. or a tiny bit of muesli milk. anymore seems too much /filling. I tend to graze now days during the day which I don't know if is a good or bad thing :D and probably only one main meal rather than two I used to have.

still its the treats and splurges I have to worry about :D

This is a really good thread and most interesting to read of everyone's experiences.

My Ex suffered from depression and she used to do a lot of what she called "Comfort Eating". I always wondered whether that was a "fair call" or just a lame cop out. In her case Food , Alcohol and Depression was a pretty dire combination which led to her basically having a lifelong "Battle of the Bulge".

Forget breakfast. The argument that this is "the most important meal of the day" is utter bullshit and a myth perpetuated by cereal companies to make you buy their sugar-laden high-GI crap.

this! ^^

give this a try: http://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/02/05/why-restricting-your-eating-time-period-to-8-hours-will-transform-your-health-fitness/

also you might find something like this a good reset/kick-start: http://www.doctoroz.com/article/dr-ozs-3-day-detox-cleanse-one-sheet

Good luck.

For other reasons i decided to do a full year without grog (2013).

Although sometimes awkward and annoying but for most of the times not a problem.

It takes some adjustments in the beginning but after that you should be fine.

Currently I'm drinking again but very limited about 1 weekend a month.

And im looking at another 6 months off as my partner lost her licence so I'm on driving duties.

And i have a zero alcohol policy when it comes to driving.

So i know what you are up against.

Have fun..

I'll just give a huge 'blanket-like' to all of those comments, how very nice of you all and the comments are all interesting and encouraging.

Exercise- yes of course, apologies as I did not mention that I have lifted weights since I was 16, gave up gym at the end of last year as I was pretty much over it and started walking.

I walk 7.5km's most week mornings unless I wake exhausted or it is pississtently raining. Even this does not seem to help control my weight. I should have mentioned this in the first post, so, thanks for the suggestions.

Onya, Darren.

Can I just say that I also walked the same distance, five days a week. The weight only came off when I increased the pace and eventually started running. The result was a whole new wardrobe two years ago as my old clothes were too big. I haven't looked back and really feel it when I have to miss my morning run. Looking forward again this year to the City to Surf and the Run for a Reason.

BTW, I admire the way that you have made your goal public on here.  :thumb:

P.S. I am not discounting Rantan's great achievements through walking, just adding my own experience.

Good work Darren,

Your aware of some of my relationship issues, most of it is down to the grog, and telling porky pies about drinking, buying hifi gear etc.

I've been doing my best to not drink since sept last year.

Went through Christmas and new years no problems but have been sneaking a few lately. Made nearly 4 months, I hate that I couldn't keep going.

I was 104 kg Christmas 2013 down to 88 kg now. Mostly due to giving up the grog, also eating habits, used to eat really badly when I was drinking. I do run, walking I have found does very litt for weight loss. I average 18km a day at work.

Hey

Onya, Darren.

Can I just say that I also walked the same distance, five days a week. The weight only came off when I increased the pace and eventually started running. The result was a whole new wardrobe two years ago as my old clothes were too big. I haven't looked back and really feel it when I have to miss my morning run. Looking forward again this year to the City to Surf and the Run for a Reason.

BTW, I admire the way that you have made your goal public on here. :thumb:

P.S. I am not discounting Rantan's great achievements through walking, just adding my own experience.

Hey Wolster

I'm gearing up for the joondalup half marathon, then going to try to back it up 2 weeks later for the run for a reason half. Should be able to do it, hopefully .

What distance are you doing, I will keep my eye out for you. The bloody tunnel is s killer, no breeze way hot and stuffy.

Cheers Dave.

If you need a chat give me a call, sorry I haven't pm d you earlier, I appreciate your thinking bout me.

Edited by Pops110

I agree that the whole BMI thing is really flawed and even my doctor agrees. At 75KG I am still supposedly 6-8KGs over weight and I tells ya if I get to that I will be almost invisible :)

My company sent me for a '360 medical' as its known by the clinic selling it. The medical took close enough to 4hrs and was so thorough I thought I would never get out of there. I have always been heavy set and my weight has crept up to now be 91-92kg (174cm) so my BMI was around 30 (obese!) but the doc used some fancy machines to measure my body fat percentage. The result was 20.5% when normal is 20%, so really what does BMI tell you  :confused:  I reckon BMI is a misleading simpleton measure that has gained way too much exposure in the modern media where it is simple to apply and tells you little except potentially giving false reassurance to many.

The day I turned 40 in 2009 an invisible switch flicked in my head and ever since I have done 2 hrs hard cardio a week on an E.Bike and walked on average 40km. The drive to stick with this regime is natural and ingrained, so much so that when I cannot due to illness/weather I feel irritable. My resting heart rate is in the high 40's and I feel bullet proof, my fitness is great. Just this morning I went hillwalking with my son for an hour, a bonus of living around here is that most walking is done on hills which I love. The medical did find I have high BP though so I will probably end up on meds as a review of my diet and exercise would indicate its in the genes somewhat. I can live with that as I have a lot of good health traits in my genes too (no history of cancer or heart problems) and old age.

Grog has never been a problem for me, I love a few drinks with mates or Friday night beers after a week of graft. I never ever drink during the week ever.

Good luck Darren, we are the same age :thumb:

Edited by mondie

Guest yamaha_man

Quitet! Thank God you're not coming to my GTG.

:hiccup  :hiccup  :hiccup  :hiccup  :hiccup  :hiccup  :hiccup  :hiccup  :hiccup