Sign in to follow this  
Darren69

Off the grog!!

I think that I will add my 2 bob's worth as well.

I've always been a big boy, 196cm and at times up in the 180+kg range, and have really enjoyed my alcohol, REALLY enjoyed it. Like @@Dirty_vinylpusher I was never able to just have a couple and stop, it was all or nothing. If I could moderate my intake then I would still be drinking today but I can't, so I don't. Luckily for me I am able to stop on a pinhead, no tapering off over time, just a straight full stop, so now I'm not drinker and haven't been for almost 8 years. Forty years ago I stopped smoking in exactly the same fashion.

Whilst I haven't had to struggle with depression I did have a short episode of anxiety one time that threatened to overwhelm me, so best wishes on that front @@Darren69.

Diet is a bugger too. I agree with the skepticism regarding the BMI. Mine is currently 43 or thereabouts  and the indicated weight range for me tops out at about 80kg. (The lowest I have ever been in the past couple of decades is 124kg and everyone I know thought that I looked positively skinny.) To achieve that I have on a number of occasions dropped over 50kg in a six month period, only to lose the steely will required to keep the weight off, and then spend the next few years quietly returning to what seems my body's natural state. I'm scheduled for bariatric surgery (bye, bye 90% of my stomach) at the end of March so am hoping that will do the necessary on a permanent basis.

So, once again, I hope that things go well for you. Any time you want to chat about anything don't be afraid to PM me, I'm happy to offer whatever assistance that I can.

@@Pops110 you're in too??

@@JukKluk2 thanks very much for the support, as you may have realised, I tend to keep going too, once I start drinking. Thats why I dont keep it in the house through the week. Let us know how the surgery goes and if it is a positive move for you.

Same deal with chocolate, haha. (dont keep it in the house).

Make no mistake, I bloody love beer and I am not ashamed of that in any way, haha. I just know that a big waistline will put an older guy 6 foot under eventually so we will nip it in the bud.

Edited by Darren69

Yep I'm in too.

I'm the the same, once I start drinking I can't stop. Will polish off everything in the house. Not good.

Cheers Dave.

Brekky- I dont have any sugary cereal.

SO, so far it's me, @@Jake  and @@shaky . ;)

It startyed last night guys, by the way. :)

I shall be reporting everything, good and bad. This isn't a fairytale. :)

Also, for now (for me anyhow) it's not about diet or managing depression yadda yadda (though of course they are connected), it's about staying off the grog. Thats the first bridge to cross. Theoretically, good things should follow. Eating an elephant one bite at a time etc...maybe a bad saying for this instance..chortle.

Oh shoot. Did I put my hand up?! Must have been half cut (poor taste joke I know!!).

But seriously, nah I don't mind at all. The missus has me on a life changing diet (yes it appears to be one of those fad ones out at the moment) but is making me look at my intake of all things, food, liquid etc. As someone mentioned earlier, fizzy water is a good thing to consume instead of other drinks (both alcoholic and non-alc) . I have a (insert leading market brand name here) water aerator thingy that I am constantly using at the moment which is getting me into the habit of drinking water like I have never drunk water before. Can only be a good thing.

Right, so my last beers were last night, O'Briens Lager (gluten free)....... Let's see how this goes.

Like @Dirty_vinylpusher I was never able to just have a couple and stop, it was all or nothing.

If I could moderate my intake then I would still be drinking today but I can't, so I don't.

Well, that's not QUITE what I meant, although reading my post again I see how it came across that way.

I do have quite a few beers every day but not to the point where I drink until I fall over :lol:

If I'm home all day tinkering in the shed I'll crack one around midday/1PM and then have 6-8 throughout the afternoon, and typically none after dinner (7-7:30Pm)

So I guess there is SOME moderation

:)

Hey Hey Wolster

I'm gearing up for the joondalup half marathon, then going to try to back it up 2 weeks later for the run for a reason half. Should be able to do it, hopefully .

What distance are you doing, I will keep my eye out for you. The bloody tunnel is s killer, no breeze way hot and stuffy.

Cheers Dave.

If you need a chat give me a call, sorry I haven't pm d you earlier, I appreciate your thinking bout me.

@@Pops110

Dave, agree re the Polly Pipe. I'll be doing the 12k again. Was thinking about the half-marathon but twisted my knee in December and have only been running seriously again in the last two weeks.

Decided that patience and discretion was the smart way to keep running for longer.

So I guess there is SOME moderation

only when you come inside and start posting

Guest Muon

Well I just have big stomach bones thats all!

Actually like most around here I am trying to limit grog to social events and staying dry mid week.

But jeez this heat and humidity we've copped doesn't help.

Anyhow I used to run and do triathlons to help my fitness for martial arts.

Anyhow a new hip later (11 years now) I havn't run since.

Also my knees now protest so it seems i should look after them so I can walk ok later into life.

I'm a smidge under 6' and hover around 100kgs now.

Oh dear what 20 years and 20 kgs have done to me :(

Hi Joz

Are the knee issues related back to the martial arts training?

Just that back in the day I saw these issues crop up for some, usually it went back to being taught improper technique in the beginning.. and once that damage was done....

Edited by ortofun

Guest Muon

Yep I'm in too.

I'm the the same, once I start drinking I can't stop. Will polish off everything in the house. Not good.

Cheers Dave.

Good on ya'. Dave.

That's how I was way back when, except if I ran out where I was, I would seek it out elsewhere.

Guest Muon

I'm flabbergasted at all the positive change all you guys are doing :o

Amazing, and very cool :cool:

I'm a bit younger than most but hell ... I'm in too.

6 months till my 30th ... I've put on a bit over 15kg in the last 7 or 8years and had problems with drinking more than I should and periods of depression/anxiety. 

170cm/85kg-ish. Beer and soft-drinks are my biggest 'vices' which aint so bad but I'd be better off without em. I'm going to try for 6 months without booze and half my coke intake.

What a great thread and positive support group we have right here on StereoNET. :thumb:

It takes a lot of courage to spill it all out on here, so hats off to you guys.

As many of you know I struggle with my own addiction to cigarettes. It has such a hold on me and literally is a massive weight on my shoulders - particularly now with young kids around. :(
It's time to do something about that once and for all I think.

This thread is inspiring. Keep it up all. :)

Guest Muon

What a great thread and positive support group we have right here on StereoNET. :thumb:

It takes a lot of courage to spill it all out on here, so hats off to you guys.

As many of you know I struggle with my own addiction to cigarettes. It has such a hold on me and literally is a massive weight on my shoulders - particularly now with young kids around. :(

It's time to do something about that once and for all I think.

This thread is inspiring. Keep it up all. :)

I can relate, Marc.

As some might have caught on, I have given up a.....few things in the past successfully.....     But damn I struggle kicking the cigs :(

This sort of reminds me of when I got off the durries.

It took me a few goes and got off them maybe 15 years ago now. At the time it was for the $$ but when I realised how good  felt, breathed,  I could taste food again, wasnt hacking up tar babies every morning, didnt matter if the shirt I wore had a pocket or not, didnt need to drop into a servo for 'something'  every second trip yadda yadda, the $$ were the least of what I was putting up with.

The drugs (enter your choice) seem to ever so slowly get into your head and start pulling the strings, tricking you into needing them and telling you that everything is OK.

Guys, I started smoking when I was 10, smoked (and tried quitting) regularly until I was mid 30s, and then, it was after having my first two kids, decided enough was enough. Slowly but surely I got off those things and now is well and truly the longest period in my life since I started that I havent had a cig (or even a drag of someone else's) for. About 5yrs now. It's never to late to try.

Older brother (but young enough that he didn't want his parents knowing) who smoked so I could help myself. Bad. Bad. Bad decision I know. But not necessarily my only one ever!! ;-)

I'll find the book when I get home re giving up cigs. Don't want to sound like a reformed smoker... but for me it was a combo of a new partner (now my wife), being ready, and this book that got me over the line. I also think taking up cycling (or getting back into it) was crucial. The perfect storm if you will.

Guest Muon

I can relate, Marc.

As some might have caught on, I have given up a.....few things in the past successfully.....     But damn I struggle kicking the cigs :(

HAH!

This is interesting, I posted that response to what Marc posted as it appears.....because I related.

What is interesting for myself, is that "I" used that thinking of "I struggle with it" as part of self sabotage, I walked away with that negative thought and moved from it to the thought of "F_ it lets drive down and get a pack of cigs.

I reminds me that I really need to police my thinking and thought processes when giving up anything, and at the end of it I choose to follow those thoughts through :rolleyes:

Tomorrow is another day and will try again................see! I'm doing it again, as trying is not the same as succeeding, it leaves a door open for an out! Tomorrow I'll police my thoughts and I will become a non-smoker from that point on.

Edit: Typo

Oh, and the above is how it is for myself, that's all. If it helps anyone else also...It's a bonus ;)

Edited by ortofun

Sorry @@Dirty_vinylpusher, I didn't mean to impugn your character, though re-reading your post I can see from where I took that particular inference. To help make it up too you I recommend that you nip down to your local Dan Murphy's and get a few stubbies of Hook Norton's Twelve Days. That's the sort of beer that I used to love when I did drink.

Sorry @@Dirty_vinylpusher, I didn't mean to impugn your character, though re-reading your post I can see from where I took that particular inference.

Nono not at all.

I realise in hindsight what my post sounded like and wanted to clear it up.

No worries.

I do have a very addictive streak however.

Less so with "other stuff" these days, but the beer is still my ball and chain

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

Guest Muon

Nono not at all.

I realise in hindsight what my post sounded like and wanted to clear it up.

No worries.

I do have a very addictive streak however.

Less so with "other stuff" these days, but the beer is still my ball and chain

"I do have a very addictive streak however." Ah, a comrade in arms ;)

Drinking was the first thing that brought me to me knees back in the day, then to get away from it I swapped the "Witch for the *****" or "***** for the Witch". Not the recommended way to deal with it, as I still had to deal with it :lol:

Edit: Not implying you are anywhere like I was, I was a shocker! I would be surprised if anyone here is even close to how messed up i was back then.

Also not implying anyone is messed up in anyway.

Edited by ortofun

Jake, Shaky, Blybo and Pops 110..and me. :)

Five of us so far.

Honesty throughout this exorcism is paramount. I don't expect others to, but I will be splattering my experiences all over the net...ahem.... forward steps and backward ones. My four colleagues do not need to do this if they don't want to. Maybe at least a group PM? I think it would be beneficial. That way we all know we cannot lie, not to ourselves or others.

Tonight I will make a bigger and more time consuming effort to make a nice dinner for myself.

Then I will stretch my legs and back right out with some yoga. Watch a bit of ABC.

Then I might do some budget stuff and have a peek on here. :)

Then, to bed and read and off to sleep, ready for my early morning exercise.

Edited by Darren69

I'm happy to share also, but won't be religious about it.

Tonight my wife is working late, usually that is a trigger to have a couple of strong Bundy & Cokes whilst cleaning the house after getting the kids to bed and listening to an album or 2.

Instead of pouring a drink I'm going to terminate some speaker cable to allow easy swap of speakers between my HT room and 2 ch system.

Tomorrow I will do my 35-40km ride before work regardless of the weather!