soundfan

Vibrato Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

After a little more experimenting I have settled on:

Setting temperature at 41 degrees celcius.

Using distilled water and a 100 ml of Isopropyl alcohol.

A quick spin on my KAB EV 1 to remove the moisture after they come out of cleaner.

I can easily clean about 30 to 40 records in a couple of hours

I've cleaned about 80 records over the last week, and am very very happy with how things are going.

Funny thing though; I received a new 2 LP record the other day in the mail, and both records were dished. 

Today after coming out of cleaner they were straight again.  :P  True.

Of the 150 or so records I have now cleaned, only 1 has come out of cleaner warped, and that was in first bunch I ever did.

A cleaner & vinyl flat in one, patent it :)

Hi Chris

My KL Audio US cleaner just uses room temperature water and it works a treat.  Same with the Audio Desk I think.

Why are you using hot water?  I would think the ultrasonic cleaning will work fine for in normal cold water.

BTW, have you tried with just the water and no alcohol?    

Cheers

Yes. my Audio Desk Systeme uses room temperature water.

We've gone over this previously. 

I decided to, (and no disrespect intended to anyone here), follow the advice from manufacturer and other users of the same ultrasonic cleaner I purchased.

I have tried room temp, without alcohol and indeed it seemed to work okay.

Too hard for me to determine though whether the clean is better or worse.

For now, everything is going dandy, and I will leave it at that.   :)

Edited by soundfan

My home made ultrasonic cleaner operates at 45KHz and seems to work extremely well. I know of other machines that operate at 40KHz and 60KHz. It is interesting that your machine operates at 80KHz and seems to work great also. I tried to do some preliminary research on this matter to determine what frequency works best for cleaning records, however opinions seem to vary on this subject. As best I could understand as a lay person, the lower the frequency, the more aggressive the cleaning action---but more "coarse"in nature than higher frequencies. One person made an analogy comparing this to sandpaper, much like the difference between using 40 grit and 80 grit. Everyone with an ultrasonic cleaner reports fabulous results regardless of the operating frequency. I am beginning to believe it is not a critical factor, but would like to learn more. Bottom line is that ultrasonic cleaning machines really do work!

We've gone over this previously. 

I decided to, (and no disrespect intended to anyone here), follow the advice from manufacturer and other users of the same ultrasonic cleaner I purchased.

I have tried room temp, without alcohol and indeed it seemed to work okay.

Too hard for me to determine though whether the clean is better or worse.

For now, everything is going dandy, and I will leave it at that.   :)

I occasionally buy used vinyl and some of it is fairly dirty. Here in the Virgin Islands with our warm humid climate, old records that were improperly stored usually have some mold and mildew on them that is tough to get off! I manually clean my albums first with a solution of distilled water,99% pure isopropyl alcohol, distilled white vinegar and Dawn dish washing detergent to get the bulk of the grundge off. Then a quick wash with distilled water to rinse the albums.

Once the records are initially cleaned, I put them through a cycle in my ultrasonic cleaning machine using only room temperature laboratory (reagent grade) water. I work at a university so I can easily get the lab grade water for free!

This process works for me, but ask 10 different people and each one will have their own special way of cleaning records. :wacko:

Edited by sailfreeordie

Chris, keen to hear your thoughts on your RCM now that you've had it for a few months.  I'm thinking of buying one simply because I find using a manual vac type a little too time consuming.  Have you any experience using a vac type RCM?  Is the US cleaner significantly easier/less time consuming.  Are the results comparable?  I'm happy to hear from anybody else that has experience with both types of cleaners, but am specifically looking at this model because the usual ultrasonic suspects are out of my price range.

Chris, keen to hear your thoughts on your RCM now that you've had it for a few months.  I'm thinking of buying one simply because I find using a manual vac type a little too time consuming.  Have you any experience using a vac type RCM?  Is the US cleaner significantly easier/less time consuming.  Are the results comparable?  I'm happy to hear from anybody else that has experience with both types of cleaners, but am specifically looking at this model because the usual ultrasonic suspects are out of my price range.

Hi Andrew

I am very happy with it. Previously I used a KAB EV-1 which has given me great service for about 7 years. The Ultrasonic is very easy to use, but unlike a couple of commercially available models, I use the inbuilt heater to heat the water to around 40 degrees Celsius before use.  A cycle takes 12 minutes (3 complete rotations), but that is cleaning 3 records at a time. But cycle time is up to me, the sonic spin kit I purchased to rotate the records is adjustable for different timings.

How to A/B an ultrasonic cleaner vs vacuum record cleaning system? I don't have the answer....but really love the results I am getting.

I have the KLAudio ultrasonic cleaner & re-cleaned some albums that I have played once to 10 times since the first clean with it. The difference was this time I added 100mls of white vinegar to the distilled water. It made a difference  & all fingerprint/marks were gone & the vinyl was sparkly clean.

Great story, Chris ... I've "got my name down" on the Tindie site but missed out on the last 2 that came up ... so I'll have to keep watching. :(

I have a Qu re. filtering.  The way I see it, it would be best to have an external loop out from and back into, the ss tank, so you can pass the liquid through a filter - to remove the gunk that's come off the records.

Is this possible with Louis's unit?  Can you take the ss tank out from the plastic surround, to get some 'tube nipples' welded to it?  (Aquariums have pretty good filter mechanisms which one can employ in this situation.)

Regards,

Andy

Great story, Chris ... I've "got my name down" on the Tindie site but missed out on the last 2 that came up ... so I'll have to keep watching. :(

I have a Qu re. filtering.  The way I see it, it would be best to have an external loop out from and back into, the ss tank, so you can pass the liquid through a filter - to remove the gunk that's come off the records.

Is this possible with Louis's unit?  Can you take the ss tank out from the plastic surround, to get some 'tube nipples' welded to it?  (Aquariums have pretty good filter mechanisms which one can employ in this situation.)

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy, Louis advised strongly to not tamper with the fitted tank, so I just empty the tank after each use. So I'm up for about 9 litres of distilled water every time I use it.

EDIT 22/07/2015: Unit has a 6 quart capacity, which equates to 5.6 litres. Not the 9 litres I referred to above.

Edited by soundfan