Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Marantz 2015 AV processors

Guest Sime

And I'm wondering, is if my main use 99% of the time, is used for music from a DAC going into the 8801 cd analog imput, will I hear any differences going to a 8802?

Guest Sime

Also, does the 8801 have to be configured in any way when plugging in a network cable, or will it do its thing as soon as it sees a network?

will it do its thing as soon as it sees a network

Hi all. Besides atmos and 3d. Where everyone is saying the sound is that much better, are we talking about in a lab bench

??? I've heard a few higher end pre amps Costing many times more, and could not say they sounded better, more so, sounded different, which at the end of the day is a personal preference only, not of one being better than the other.

I have like you been asking that question. I trust in level headed peoples opinions and one such opinion was Franin's and even David Vaughan's .

Franin has owned both and has very high end gear in the chain so when he says for HT use he can't tell the difference I believe him. He does not use the 8802 for 2 channel use.

David Vaughan said something similar to Franin and David is a professional reviewer. It  didn't go done well with the likes of those who are pushing sales of the 8802 on AVSforum.

I think in your case a demo would answer all your questions. so seek out a HT /hifi store with it plugged in an do a demonstration or ask if you can have a demo done at home.

I won't be rushing to do this as I put a lot of faith in Franin's opinion and have already compared the 7702 and 8801 with a group of people and all still favoured the 8801. The 7702 had a Yamaha like pronounced midrange sonic signature. Another listener said it sounded very much like his LX Pioneer. 

So based on the BS claims that were made on the 7702 sounding better than the 8801 I think that goose is cooked :)

Edited by con219

Guest Sime

Solved my "I ain't got a long enough Ethernet cable to reach my 8801" issue, an Apple Airport Express ;)

Sound is a very personal thing. What may sound great to one person may sound like garbage to another.

Well I've now had a chance to hear the AV8802, and yes it did sound great. Thou if i had to pick if the sound was better to my ears, which are really fussy ears, id have to say I couldn't pick much of a difference, I found my self reaching to find a difference, and yes I think i did notice something, but not enough to trade in my AV8801 just yet. I think Atmos is great, and I still want Atmos, but I think I can wait Alittle longer for it, or I may purchase a additional Receiver with Atmos to add to the AV8801. Is there anyway to run a Receiver with Atmos together with the AV8801 DACS???

Edited by Perth.hifi

Sound is a very personal thing. What may sound great to one person may sound like garbage to another.

Well I've now had a chance to hear the AV8802, and yes it did sound great. Thou if i had to pick if the sound was better to my ears, which are really fussy ears, id have to say I couldn't pick much of a difference, I found my self reaching to find a difference, and yes I think i did notice something, but not enough to trade in my AV8801 just yet. I think Atmos is great, and I still want Atmos, but I think I can wait Alittle longer for it, or I may purchase a additional Receiver with Atmos to add to the AV8801. Is there anyway to run a Receiver with Atmos together with the AV8801 DACS???

Very interesting observation re 8802. You are now the third person who owns/ed a 8801 and can make a comparison and could hear little difference.

I have organised a listening session with a retailer who will kindly let me borrow the unit the next public holiday.

Incidentally if you posted this on the 8802 thread on AVsforum your post  would would be followed by a  barrage of BS. from sellers and fanboys.

Re your atmos question you would have to use pre outs of the atmos abled AVR or pre pro and connect to multi-channel in on the 8801 noting correct cross reference between the two. ie atmos outs left and right might be connected to surround back left right on the 8801. which would be your ceiling speakers.

Edited by con219

Guest Sime

I'm glad that people aren't hearing much of a difference, saves my getting antsy about upgrading.

Yeah. Like I said, everyone's ears are different. It may indeed sound better to some people, and others not.

Excellent news, so I could run a Receiver with Atmos and connect to the av8801.?

But I'm thinking how does the av8801 output Atmos this way? Meaning in what mode do I run the marantz? And does it mean i have to run the speaker outs out of the atmos Receiver only and keep the marantz running Dolby digital? Am I correct in saying with Dolby atmos, it is purely the surround channels that are creating the special effect?? And the front three channels remain std Dolby sound.

Yeah. Like I said, everyone's ears are different. It may indeed sound better to some people, and others not.

Excellent news, so I could run a Receiver with Atmos and connect to the av8801.?

But I'm thinking how does the av8801 output Atmos this way? Meaning in what mode do I run the marantz? And does it mean i have to run the speaker outs out of the atmos Receiver only and keep the marantz running Dolby digital? Am I correct in saying with Dolby atmos, it is purely the surround channels that are creating the special effect?? And the front three channels remain std Dolby sound.

atmos is an entire mix. either from source or post processed e.g. Dolby digital plus dolby surround that utilises atmos if you have capability. am finding even dolby surround a step forward than just dolby digital and thats without atmos capability.

sounds like what your comtemplating is quite a convoluted setup, to point have no idea how you would even hook up, calibrate or setup the the avr feeding the 8801 combination ? even if could manage it somehow would sound like a step back unless the AVR's processing was upto standard to the 8801's . all way too messy in my books. the on shelf difference in price between a 8801 on run out and a new 8802 was only $1250 when I was looking. So can't see it as a way of saving money in any way unless buying an avr under $1250 ?? which wouldn't make a lot of sense I would think. and also think would increase your losses when comes to sale as would loose not only on the 8801 but also the avr whatever it is.

if in your situation and wanting atmos etc. I would sell the 8801 while it still has good resale...especially while the 8802 is hard to get hold off. then put your funds towards an 8802 or otherwise rather than on some cheapy or expensive avr. thats just my thinking though am not in your situation so you might have other ideas :)

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av8802-surround-processor-review

david vaughn at sound and visions review is up on the av8802

apart from half a star lost on value looks like 5 stars all around, some excerpts,

he does comment on the upgrades from the 8801,

Upping the Ante 
The AV8801 was tricked out to the nines with virtually every bell and whistle that could be found at the time in a pre/pro, and the same is true of the AV8802. Networking goodies include Apple’s AirPlay, Pandora, SiriusXM, Internet Radio, Spotify Connect, and Flickr. In lieu of the four-port Ethernet hub that was on the AV8801, there’s a single Ethernet jack on the rear, but now you get Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, as well as DNLA 1.5 support for streaming audio files from your local computer network. 

515mar.bac.jpg

The upgrades don’t stop there. Marantz’s engineers dissected every critical component for the AV8802—including the transformer, the DACs, the HDAMs (the company’s proprietary amplifier modules), and the filter capacitors—and relied on trickle-down technology from the company’s Reference line, specifically the PM-11S3 integrated stereo amplifier. The 11.1-channel preamp section utilizes balanced outputs. Enhancements include brand-new, fully discrete current-feedback HDAM-SA2 modules, along with improved jitter-reduction circuitry for the optical, coaxial, and HDMI inputs. If that’s not enough, the engineers also included a lower-noise toroidal power transformer (derived directly from the PM-11S3), 768-kilohertz/32-bit DACs (AKM4490), and capacitors that have twice the reserve than what was in the vaunted AV8801.

and particularly the gains over 2ch for those looking on comment on that,

While I was wowed and amazed by Atmos and DSU on movies, the two-channel performance of the AV8802 is what really blew me away. The hardware upgrades done by the Marantz engineers revealed themselves in critical listening tests. The soundstage is deeper and wider, and voices are crisper and clearer when compared with my AV8801. I recently had a Krell Foundation pre/pro in my rack, which was head and shoulders better than the AV8801 on two-channel listening, but the AV8802 has closed the gap considerably in this regard (at only two-thirds the price of the $6,500 Krell).

am glad to see he has made comment on the remote range (though I dont think its just range the angle as well) is pox. but overall quite glowing of the unit particularly with respect to atmos and the benefit brought with not just atmos encoded but also other material. good to see comment from marantz re DTS-X upgrade coming forth. plus levelling of the field with respect to ceiling speakers positioning with respect atmos, auro3D and DTS-X. suspect this will come with the DTS-X upgrade. 

not that I have a 8801 to compare with but you could discern from the review that unless chasing UHD, object orientated audio with atmos, auro3D and DTS-X, or wanting gains for 2ch side then the 8801 would be worth hanging onto. buying new ? I wouldn't want to be making that choice...though not sure many 8801's left new anyways, and not sure the drought on the 8802s is over yet.

Guest Sime

I'm no tech head, but all the updates on the 8802, will it beat the 8801 if your using the CD analog input only for music?

I'm no tech head, but all the updates on the 8802, will it beat the 8801 if your using the CD analog input only for music?

I can only infer from dave's review and comments it appears that has been a focus with the updates brought across from their reference line which is good since the 8801 was already decent analog and 2ch wise so 8802 only gong from strength to strength I would say :)

Apparently the upgrade for HDCP 2.2 is free in HK, but for a fee here.

have you found something saying that ? something posted on the marantz hk website or anything ? I've not seen anything from qualifi or marantz locally on the upgrade here as yet :) in the US they are charging one way shipping I understand.

Guest Sime

I'd hate to have to send mine in for the upgrade if I had one.

ah yes hk, I accidentally read your post as uk. have updated my post, am looking for something for the au market to be honest, our local importer qualifi am not aware have gone into print or had anything up re the upgrades as yet.

I'd hate to have to send mine in for the upgrade if I had one.

yeah a bit of a bother...but with my denon they were very prompt in the turn around. I know one owner I think it was Grassy who had his turned around in the day.

with the 8802 if bought o the premise that the upgrades there when the spec is set, it helps to enjoy now and get the upgrade to satisfy the future proofing. it was one great aspect of owning the denon avp that for years we kept getting all sorts of upgrades...even though nothing was ever promised from the outset. nice sweetner. and reason still have the unit. this will ensure the same for the 8802 to tackle the uhd blu-ry spec coming. you dont have to take a unit in I guess. but D&M only ever provide upgrades for a set time, cant support them for forever and a day. so worth taking them up when come to light.

of course if buying now theres also the option of waiting a month and getting a unit with the upgrade already :)

my first auro disc in magnificat turned up :)

18079442851_ba1edf4e47_b.jpg

can see the formats contained on the disc on the back shot of the case here,

17457953043_1b62b113e1_b.jpg

and when fire up the disc,

18078422925_9c93a87cc4_b.jpg

I dont run an auro3D setup, but below is the audio coming through in speaker formate when I hit info on the marantz, showing the auro capability

18078465105_4b20accd3b_b.jpg

can also select dts-hd which provides the below mix,

17890751370_e85ba85fa5_b.jpg

trully stunning sound, I am mesmerised with the music overall. the mix is quite different between dts and auro, I like both, but really do like the auro mix even though dont have 3D. IT just wants me to setup for an auro setup now. like the way the disc is presented too ... like an sacd.. a sacd version is also included.

the blu-ray has the full music video of that lovely choral piece in the cathedral...just so amazing in sound and such a beautiful piece. feel so lucky to be able to buy and experience music such as this !

Guest Sime

Good music? I havnt heard of that before, and where did you get the disc from?

Good music? I havnt heard of that before, and where did you get the disc from?

Hehe I think you can buy direct from the 2L websites online store, I just bought from a vendor on eBay that was selling copies with reasonable price and shipping

I popped by audio trends today with their show going on and got the chance of experiencing what the marantz 8802 can do with atmos in their main theatre…I can tell you this is really something not to miss. I was super impressed !!!! 

as I posted in that thread…now just have to figure out how to fit 4 ceiling speakers…and where to get hold of the demo disc they were playing so can have enrique iglesias and troupe dancing in my room ! :D

I actually realised I already have a few atmos discs...

american sniper

unbroken

transformers 4

gravity

john wick

Sniper and Gravity thanks. Gravity especially in the first 15 mins...WOW

Sniper and Gravity thanks. Gravity especially in the first 15 mins...WOW

needs to be diamond edition for gravity,

maybe take it along to audio trends if your going and have the discs :D