Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Marantz 2015 AV processors

got an notification of upgrade available tonight ...which I accepted..34 min and all went without issue. apparently minor bug fix ups etc...what ever they might have been.

also notification for auro 3D popped up available as "add a feature"

http://www.auro-3d.com/blog/denon-and-marantz-to-support-auro-3d-upgrade-available-in-december/

http://upgrade.marantz.eu/eu/marantz/pages/upgradedetails.aspx?uid=auro3d5

but I might hold off on that for now :)

Guest Sime

My 8801 has never been firmware upgraded, don't get it hooked up to the network.

My 8801 has never been firmware upgraded, don't get it hooked up to the network.

I would recommend doing the FW upgrade for the 8801. One of the benefits is an enhanced surround experience. I noticed it on my 4520 and as an owner of the 8801 which already had it when I bought it  other forum owners had noticed exponential improvements in multi channel performance.

Guest Sime

What firmware version do you have?

Mine 8801 was purchased in Jan.

What firmware version do you have?

Mine 8801 was purchased in Jan.

Firmware version 3525-8853-5400

Guest Sime

Ok thanks, I've got 3325-3843-4420

Is it as simple as hooking it up to the network and it upgrading itself?

If like the maranta 8802 and if you have update notification turned on. Hooked upto the network,on switching on it will come up with available updates. Matter if just accepting by saying ok. Can take 30min or so an update :)

Guest Sime

Ok, I'll have to take it out of the caravan and wire it up to the router in the house.

Correct Provided notification option turned on

But you can prompt it by Set up Menu> General>Firmware>Update>Check for update

Guest Sime

Thanks, I saw it on by default.

Edited by Sime

Ok, I'll have to take it out of the caravan and wire it up to the router in the house.

or run a long cable :)

Have done the auro 3D update, just matter of buying the license via the portal, paying via paypal. and that registers your unit.

I then switched on my 8802 and it automatically said I had the update for auro3D I said ok and was done in 35 min or so. havent had a chance to play with but option definitely there to upmix with auro3D now...looking forward to experiencing particularly with 2.0 material either TV or music as to how upmixes to 7.1 :) 

Have done the auro 3D update, just matter of buying the license via the portal, paying via paypal. and that registers your unit.

I then switched on my 8802 and it automatically said I had the update for auro3D I said ok and was done in 35 min or so. havent had a chance to play with but option definitely there to upmix with auro3D now...looking forward to experiencing particularly with 2.0 material either TV or music as to how upmixes to 7.1 :)

Great to read Al and that your enjoying the "frontier" tech :)

ok time for some very early first impressions...

The marantz has none of that with subs theres really only one choice LFE or LFE+main. With LFE +main suggested for 2.0 cpm material. Theres no way to setup 3 subs for instance with 2 as L & R sub and one for LFE only as you can on the denon. Now this isn't an issue for me as purely intend using marantz for AV but for others planning on stereo use this might be of concern (usual caveats of there is no such things as stereo subs etC

:)

Thats very disappointing about the sub config. I had a Marantz SR-18 years back and it's config options for the sub were the same. No progress in 15 years? I found it very irritating and I didn't go Marantz when the SR-18 died because of this limitation. Don't understand why you would make a supposedly top shelf pre/ pro with such an important constraint. IMO Subs are hard to get right so you need more flexibility with the sub than any other channel. Maybe they just think audessy will fix it? Unimpressed - so just as well I am happy with my old 4308.

Edited by Steam

Thats very disappointing about the sub config. I had a Marantz SR-18 years back and it's config options for the sub were the same. No progress in 15 years? I found it very irritating and I didn't go Marantz when the SR-18 died because of this limitation. Don't understand why you would make a supposedly top shelf pre/ pro with such an important constraint. IMO Subs are hard to get right so you need more flexibility with the sub than any other channel. Maybe they just think audessy will fix it? Unimpressed - so just as well I am happy with my old 4308.

the denon avp-a1hd has a massive amount of flexibility for subs as I indicated earlier. but the marantz 8802 doesn't quite follow in that vein. am unaware of any other processor on the market currently any better. but who knows whether this is a priority for makers or not. the focus as I see it for subs definitely seems in the LFE/av or plain 2ch (non stereo subs) which will probably satisfy most bu unlikely all..

hehe how cool is this …to see the final assembly and testing of the marantz av8802

as per the US dealer who posted it,

"Here is a recent short video inside of the Marantz production facility in Japan. The workers are putting together the 8802A (HDCP2.2)"

also confirmation from him on hdmi 2.0(a)

"A few customers were concerned that the brand new AV8802A would not support HDMI2.0(a). I'm specifically addressing the version (a) on this post.

In short, the answer is YES. That is because the 8802 hardware/chipset supports HDMI ver.2.0a, rec.2020 and HDR. HDR or High Dynamic Range is tech talk for the highly touted new 4K UHD TVs. HDMI2.0(a) will also be featured in the future Ultra HD Blu-ray hardware.

What I can verify though Marantz's head product guy who is in charge of the 8802 is that the 8802A's boards factually passes signals via a test signal generator. HOWEVER, there is no capability to test real world source and displays today because they do not exist yet. Therefore, the 8802 may need some firmware fixing once these real world products start to ship.

In short, the AV8802A supports HDMI2.0(a).biggrin.gif"

Guest Sime

Awesome.

I want those swivel shelves in my entertainment cabinet...that would be cool!

What's the plan with your current Denon, I assume your probably going to sell it, how does the Marantz compare to the Denon for general usability and overall sound quality especially for 2ch music assuming you are not using a dedicated 2ch pre.

JDH

the denon avp-a1hd has a massive amount of flexibility for subs as I indicated earlier. but the marantz 8802 doesn't quite follow in that vein. am unaware of any other processor on the market currently any better. but who knows whether this is a priority for makers or not. the focus as I see it for subs definitely seems in the LFE/av or plain 2ch (non stereo subs) which will probably satisfy most bu unlikely all..

Purchased my AV8801 9 months ago. Loving it, but interested to hear the new models. I'm kinda wishing I waited now. Buggar. Might have to check out the AV7702 and trade in.

What's the plan with your current Denon, I assume your probably going to sell it, how does the Marantz compare to the Denon for general usability and overall sound quality especially for 2ch music assuming you are not using a dedicated 2ch pre.

JDH

hi JDH, check my post earlier in the thread, I posted an extensive early impressions. probably not much more to post on that as a further update, probably not for the next month or two :) at this stage the denon not going anyplace. just not in a position to say any further one way or the other with regard the marantz vs canon avp, thats all, dont read any more into it :)

Purchased my AV8801 9 months ago. Loving it, but interested to hear the new models. I'm kinda wishing I waited now. Buggar. Might have to check out the AV7702 and trade in.

I know some have traded the 8801 to 7702. I personally dont see this as a good move, if upgrading from the 8801 go the 8802 as the 8802 is THE only future proofed processor at the moment. with marantz's commitment to make sure they have an upgrade for it for the new 4k blu-ray format thats to be launched in matter of months. so at end of it comes down to whether want something future proofed...as future proofed as things can be right now :)

Guest Sime

I'd like a future proofed Processor, especially for my TV, but being as I live in a caravan, and the biggest TV I could stretch to is 46inches, I dare say I'll be wating quite awhile till a 42-46 UHD TV comes out.

I'd like a future proofed Processor, especially for my TV, but being as I live in a caravan, and the biggest TV I could stretch to is 46inches, I dare say I'll be wating quite awhile till a 42-46 UHD TV comes out.

size will be a factor if wanting 4K, unless sitting close enough to resolve. but I dare say the other benefits of UHD with the e.g. wider colour gamut and wider dynamic range is likely what people will be chasing and I dare say will be quite apparent even if cant resolve 4k :) 

Hi all. Besides atmos and 3d. Where everyone is saying the sound is that much better, are we talking about in a lab bench

??? I've heard a few higher end pre amps Costing many times more, and could not say they sounded better, more so, sounded different, which at the end of the day is a personal preference only, not of one being better than the other.