Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Marantz 2015 AV processors

Yawn, another new toy at the house of @ :) al !       ;)

reminds me... :D

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how this performs versus your current pre...

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how this performs versus your current pre...

Ditto!

Guest Sime

I'm jelouse Al :(

I just bought my 8801 in mid jan this year, so no chance of getting the 8802 any time soon.

But I only payed $3300 for the 8801 I guess

Ditto!

Will do guys, but will be taking my time to very carefully savour this one. 

I'm jelouse Al :(

I just bought my 8801 in mid jan this year, so no chance of getting the 8802 any time soon.

But I only payed $3300 for the 8801 I guess

Congrats Sime it is a very nice thing :) yes the 8802 a tad more, and still some things unclear, such as whether there will be a cost for the HDCP 2.2 upgrade and the DTS-X upgrade, not real happy to still not see a straight answer for those from qualifi the importer locally. In most countries Marantz has clearly put on their websites this will be done for free. I do hope the same here. Otherwise its going to be cost upon cost !  :(

anyways not that I need any of that now !  :eek:

Guest Sime

I can't complain, my whole system got upgraded in the last two months, inc Rotel mono's and B&W 805's, so I'll survive, oh and the Hugo also.

17022836119_008e7f0f99_b.jpg

Just curious more than anything ..... 

New lamp Al?

ok unpacking time to see whats in that box ! :D

17210218872_9d76981a82_b.jpg

16589450544_33e91c7b28_b.jpg

17210518652_ba6ac91b0a_b.jpg

Plenty of copper ! 

I won't show you a picture of its front straight out the box...marantz for some bizarre reason plasters it with some really tacky white plastic stickers...and if that wasn't enough also a a gawdy green "Spotify" sticker... They came right off ! :D not sure why Marantz doesn't include these separately as stickers to apply if needed :)

a little bit of work hauling the avp out the rack. the marantz a relative light weight by comparison....but it makes up for it in its looks :)

17211915135_921b241eb8_b.jpg

17024385510_a0190caccb_b.jpg

17211932075_03d65b2d49_b.jpg

a very sexy match for the Elektra TheatreHD I must say.

Quite an intuitive step through process to get hooked up and going. I did all the wire/cable hook ups before switching on, but it even steps through that one at a time with pictures ! would be quite handy for someone new to av receivers.

Only did a basic setup to get up and going. Have bought an audyssey pro license for it and tomorrow hopefully will give that a go :)

Guest Sime

As you'll find out, as with the 8801, they are a sinch to setup.

Guest Sime

All I want to know, is just how much difference in the real world this sounds over it predecessor.

Good luck Al. The 8801 was very easy to use and setup and loved the sound. If the 8802 is as good as they say from all reports, it should be mightily impressive.

Have you used or have access to monoblocks you can hookup to the 8802, aside from the elektra hd?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I want to know, is just how much difference in the real world this sounds over it predecessor.

while have experienced the 8801 a bit not sure can help you with that sime as dont have one to compare with. there have been some positive reports overseas though from those upgrading :)

Good luck Al. The 8801 was very easy to use and setup and loved the sound. If the 8802 is as good as they say from all reports, it should be mightily impressive.

Have you used or have access to monoblocks you can hookup to the 8802, aside from the elektra hd?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks pasa, very easy to setup indeed. no mono blocs, but I do run my mains off the musical fidelity M8 500s ...which is a dual mono balanced amplifier rated at 500wpc :)

audyssey pro calibration time :)

17195474196_24d5d145a8_b.jpg

17219714982_4ef15fd762_b.jpg

17033646738_8c9d9d47c0_b.jpg

16598983844_356b3b1feb_b.jpg

went for 12 positions all went to plan.

will plan to give a whirl tonight with a blu-ray :)

Guest Sime

Me gotsa go the pro kit...............

Wheres the cat Al, I thought he /she helped you or is that testing time.

I've heard that the mic reappears every Tuesday at Al's for karaoke...

Your setup looks awesome ;)

thanks pasa, a bit of homely setting and doing best can with it  :)

Me gotsa go the pro kit...............

definitely worth getting I think. quite a step up from audyssey xt32, we have a good thread here, not sure if see. Has some good end user feed now :)

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/69926-audyssey-multieq-pro-an-end-user-perspective/

Wheres the cat Al, I thought he /she helped you or is that testing time.

she's always there Tony…very curious as to what goes on and always there to give the 'purr' of approval :D 

I've heard that the mic reappears every Tuesday at Al's for karaoke...

haha... it makes some nice whipping noises if want to sing along…or dance along to that :D

ok time for some very early first impressions...plus some initial comparisons with the denon avp-a1hd 3D

already mentioned some early impressions unpacking where the marantz definitely feels a thing of quality, looks very stylish with its black brushed surfaces. and copper casing and plugs etc. In getting the denon AVP out the rack. yes it sure is a hulk, weighing in at 27.5kg vs the marantz at 13.6kg which feels like a light weight in comparison. Some cost saving/weight saving on the marantz its front cheeks are plastic for instance vs the all metal construction on the denon. Though am fine with plastic used for such parts, would cost ridiculous amount to make parts like that out of metal given their quite curved design and makes no impact to overall looks feel, fit finish or quality perceived or otherwise of the unit. Understandable the bulk of the denon, lot of it as its a fully balanced design with doubling up of circuitry dual power supplies, elaborate analog implementation, dacs etc. Now I understand the marantz while having balanced connectivity isn't a fully balanced design so will be interesting how this bares out in its sonic performance. but the difference in weight is welcome in moving the marantz into position as dont have to break your back as do with the denon ! 

I did all the hook up on the marantz before switch on. and when switching on notice it has a very elaborate guidance to walk you through not only hookup but full configuration of each input etc. very handy and makes hook up and setup childs play. the denon by comparison is a literally mine field of confusing menus and things squirrelled away to discover and wonder what each setting does. A massive manual comes with the denon to try guide you through...none with the marantz theres an online guide if want to refer to it...otherwise just follow whats on screen.

I skipped the audyssey setup on the marantz with intent of using audyssey pro instead as had done on the denon.

Was very quick to re program the harmony 1100i I use as universal remote removing the denon and adding in the marantz. We do use the TiVo GLO remote for TV viewing though...its handy as can program the volume up down and mute button on it as had done on the denon. TiVo's recommended codes for marantz though I found dont actually work with the av8802. anyways a quick google found a string of codes with the first '1013' working immediately. handy as we can use the universal remote to switch on and then the TiVo remote for all TV viewing.

Audyssey pro calibration went without issue really, the denon listed on previous v3.6 software but the marantz a newer unit needed the last version of software v4.0 some little differences in running but nothing major and after 12 positions of calibration was time to listen.

Post audyssey checking settings the first thing that hits you is ok the various settings for speaker settings and audyssey settings are easy to find vs say the denon where they are buried deep in myriad of menus and sub menus. but you also soon notice just how sparse are you choices with the marantz. For starters theres no THX anything. clearly the Marantz is not THX specd as the Denon thats THX ultra 2 and comes with a host of choices there with BGC on the subs, allowing to input style of rear speakers distance apart and a host of choices on sub setup and configuration with upto 3 subs. The marantz has none of that with subs theres really only one choice LFE or LFE+main. With LFE +main suggested for 2.0 cpm material. Theres no way to setup 3 subs for instance with 2 as L & R sub and one for LFE only as you can on the denon. Now this isn't an issue for me as purely intend using marantz for AV but for others planning on stereo use this might be of concern (usual caveats of there is no such things as stereo subs etc)

On first switch on, with just everyday TV. I can clearly detect a touch more warmth on the marantz's sound. With TV am using the lowest setting on Dynamic volume and reference level for dynamic eq all same as had on the denon (on the denon instead of low setting they call it Day). I notice by default for TV its really only playing the 2.0 pcm through the L&R mains and sub. So go looking for what options there are in post processing. Important to me as going back to my very early days of using av processors have loved for instance using logic 7 ala harman/lexicon which did a lovely 7.1 surround field for TVs 2.0 source. With the Denon am used to PLIIX+C for 2.0 source and using THX ultra 2 post processing for 7.1 extract from 5.1 TV source. Ofcourse with the marantz being not THX specd am not expecting to find thx post processing. however I cant seem to find any form of post processing going through the menus of the marantz...time to do a bit of research as to how to engage ! ah the obvious its a set of buttons on the marantz remote "surround mode" with option of movie, music, game, pure. ok movie mode expands 2.0 to 7.1 but what post processing it is using as I notice an info button tells me it is "dolby surround" totally unclear what that post processing actually is ...but have subsequently found out that PLIIx is not something marantz licensed.  why no idea ? is it better ...is it cost saving who knows....I do wish I did have the option of PLIIX or THX ultra 2 post processing to decide for myself though so could decide for myself which I preferred. 

OK back to listening and with TV ah yes much better in 7.1 ...and yes its clearly warmer than I remember with the denon. but also another difference...wiht the denon I can crank down to -79db vol level and vocals are still clearly audible...with the marantz not quite ..yes a touch close to audible but I find my mind sort of filling in the blanks...back up the volume upto say -75db and its probably more like how I remember the denon. So while theres warmth with the marantz am not sure it has the clarity of the denon...but something adjusted for with a tad of volume. now notice a dialog enhancer as an option for the marantz maybe something to play with.

ok a quick spin of "oblivion" on Blu-ray. 

4571734.jpg

watching the blast off scene and then the segment in the library...I watched at my typical -21db...my first impressions are bit more warmth again. its noticeable. but am missing some of the wow impact I remember with the denon. checked and made sure first up the marantz was engaging dynamic eq at reference and also not using dynamic volume as I dont for blu-rays. So not a setting thing, I curiously think of boosting volume as thinking its maybe like the clarity I got on TV, slowly cranking up I get to -15db i.e. 6 db up from where I listen to on the denon and this I feel has the impact wow factor I can remember with the denon.  One thing I do feel though the marantz sounds smoother at this higher vol level. 

Now to check some music, I pull out Katie Melua's Stuttgart concert on DVD, one have borrowed from the library so not one have much experience prior, but be good to listen to regardless.

1308106565_444444.jpg

sounds good in music, used the "movie" processing option to extract a 7.1 sound field for its stereo source...whcih sounds nice. gives feel of being part of that concert but will have to say even in stereo and using the "pure" is no processing option also sounded great. 

So please keep in mind some very very early impressions, just some thoughts based on how I remember the denon in my system for sound. now I know some will say this isn't a true back etc and I agree. but I know this sound so well, its a processor thats been in my system for years. so things like the warmth I get straight away...no back away from that. and things like clarity is something at volume levels is clear as well. IT does leave me wondering with the oblivion blu-ray whether the denon simply has more dynamics on tap... is more "balls" at even lower levels that have to crank the marantz a bit more 5-6db to get to same levels. the thing with dynamics though is while cranking gives you the top end it still doesn't give you the range so you still dont get that kapow you do going from lows to highs. In anywise in the mean time I'll take the warmth and the smoothness of the marantz this is definitely a case of swings and round abouts and where I feel touch not there in clarity and dynamics I'll use a tad more volume which seems to compensate a touch.

In use its interesting the marantz am finding am grabbing for the remote with its info and option and setup buttons, processing modes...stuff on the denon that was buried in menus...and I probably only pull out the denon remote what maybe once a year when want to configure an input for a change of gear or post / pre calibration with a room change etc. find am using the "info" button on the marantz remote a bit too...as the display on the marantz is pretty useless with its portal that really only tells you the input selected and vol..flipping down the front panel to show the full display doesn't add much more for info...maybe the marantz being new am still fiddling around with buttons. hopefully in time its more a case of set and forget.

but anyways its very very early days, hardly much on the clock for the marantz. Plan to run a bit more on other material I know see how it goes. And get to know the unit a lot more. get more of a feel for it. And yes do plan some true back to backs with the denon but also want to give the marantz a chance to settle in. I'll probably re run audyssey pro again in a months time in case some change due to run in (something I do believe can be a factor with electronics)

So probably not be any more major posts on this with impressions apart from say some comments in passing. I want to make sure marantz gets a fair chance settling in. That I do get a chance for some true back to backs with more material am familiar with. Might take me a month or two but its so can truly get a chance to know what the marantz is like, which should hopefully give me a chance to decide which to keep :)

Guest Sime

Bugga, no time to read that now, laterzzzzz.....

Great write up Al.

I find it hard to judge movies more so than music on different systems when they are similiar. As you once said to me you have gone from one top line system to another its hard to judge the better.

I think the dialogue enhancer is indeed for use in low volume.

The Denon seems to be a better match with the Electra. I can't find any info about Electra's input impedance, etc, though.

Marantz is known to be a bit tame compared with Denon.

Hope to read your experience with 2-channel music.

Great write up Al.

I find it hard to judge movies more so than music on different systems when they are similiar. As you once said to me you have gone from one top line system to another its hard to judge the better.

thankyou tony. yes definite plusses and minuses between both...hopefully can work through over the next month of so :)

I think the dialogue enhancer is indeed for use in low volume.

The Denon seems to be a better match with the Electra. I can't find any info about Electra's input impedance, etc, though.

Marantz is known to be a bit tame compared with Denon.

Hope to read your experience with 2-channel music.

will explore further what the dialogue enhancer does

not sure re the elektras input impedance, though have not seen any troubles with matching with it over the years :)

yes could possibly be some base marantz vs denon characteristics 

I do run a 2ch side to my system, but will explore the 2ch side of the marantz when get a chance :)

Hi Al

Very late so just had a skim read through your post.

I can relate to the -15db setting for listening. I think it is a Marantz thing as to get same impact I needed to crank up to -15db.

Also interested to read you found the 8802 warmer sounding. I found 7702 tended to sound more pronounced in midrange on my listening tests. But this was not on my speakers so I think speaker's sound  signature plays a role here.

I just finished watching Flightplan on my 8801 and was amazed at how immersive the soundtrack was as compared to my previous listening experience on the Denon and Yamaha..

I do not use the dialogue enhancer since the pro-kit calibration. 

You are correct about the menu options. Compared to even the 4308A they are like childs play but they get the job done. Can imagine how deep rooted the A1's would be.

Edited by con219

From 8802's specs:

"Rated output: Unbalanced RCA pre-output : 1.2 V Balanced XLR pre-output: 2.4 V".

This is pretty much "standard', which is to say, not great but not bad either", for there are quite a number of amps out there that require 1.5v~2.0v in input (single-ended) to reach full capacity (read dynamics/liveliness).

Also, the musicality of Marantz may come at the cost of the easy "explosive" effects that other brands such as Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer try to achieve,  which is what they should be doing for movies. It is damned hard, if at all possible, to get both the noises and the music right in designing electronics.