Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Marantz 2015 AV processors

I'm sure the 8802A being in the list isn't out of the goodness of their heart. It's because they are still trying to sell them today. The 8805A won't be here till next year.

Actually the jury was already in about HDCP2.2/HDMI2.0 - some vendors offered HDCP2.2 and HDMI2.0 but limited to 10Gbps. Others like Marantz offered full 18Gbps but without HDCP2.2 - back when the 8802 was released.

As kazz linked to on dtv, looks like D&M have decided to make available the DV update to ALL 2015 avrs and av processors. Good on em ! :)

Originally Posted by Schwa 
At the bottom of Scott Wilkinson's article about Dolby Vision he claims that the 2015 D+M receivers will eventually get updates to allow DV & HLG passthrough. Does he know something we don't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana 
I spotted that too, my guess is fat fingers unfortunately, would be nice if true though.

Strange though that he would list all of the 2015 D+M models separately though so I contacted my D+M rep and it turns out that yes, they have decided to update all of the 2015 D+M models with the DV + HLG update as well.  

Ok, iam slow with this stuff. What is dv and hlg and why do we need it?

Really more for flat panel market or eg  if run dual screens like I do

Dolby vision don't need for projector :)

hlg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Log-Gamma

Only application is BBC streaming and only limit use

maybe for projectors but our jvc don't support

by the way, noted an update available this evening 

for 

"better performance and stability"

takes about 21 min and have just applied. all good. 

Note from jd over on Avs no doubt our update locally should be around same time or slightly after would think :)

Dolby Vision and HLG update to be released

This update has been confirmed to be released to the AV8802A and X7200WA March 2018.

wow had this come up on the marantz with a firmware update available ! 

26779955598_16633587e2_b.jpg

as per above as promised they have come through in march with the Dolby vision and HLG update

is that it a firmware update ?  I was seriously thinking need to take the unit in and have to pay for a update or something.

but no its here thats it. a 20min update. and what is a 3 year old unit in a av8802a is now bang upto current spec. just like that

the gift that keeps on giving literally... even after being superseded :D 

marantz I am super impressed ! 

A bit late in the game, but I picked up my new Marantz AV8802a from a Sydney HiFi dealer today at a reasonably compelling price. I’ve upgraded from my 6 year old Rotel RSP1572 AV pre-amp. 

The Marantz should give me an opportunity to try Atmos surround, My current setup is 5.2 surround, likely will transition to 5.2.4 I’m also currently using a DSPeaker anti mode 2.0 to EQ. My dual subs, will eventually compare it to the Marantz inbuilt speaker EQ. And decide which one I’ll continue to use. 

Setup includes Paradigm Signiture v3 speakers, Elektra Audio 7ch HD2 and 2ch HD Reference Amps and an Oppo 205, using a 70in LED TV for general viewing and future 4K projector to replace an existing Epson 720P projector is still undecided.

Apparantly there is is only one remaining new AV8802a with the Aust. distributor to buy, after it is gone it will be the AV8805 or runout AV7703 or new AV7704 which I also considered before deciding to go with the AV8802a

JDH

961EAA96-0D41-4BCC-A78A-1A328CC65099.jpeg

Edited by jdh500
Typos

Hey guys,

I’ve got a marantz SR7010 and using Krix Neuphonix, Epicentrix and Dynamix speakers. I am using an Anthem PVA 5 for the front 3 and side surrounds so the Marantz is only powering the rear surrounds. It is repeatedly turning itself off and flashing red every half a second or so. I have changed the ohm setting to 6 ohm and to get it loud enough for me i am having to turn it up to about 70 or so. Is that too loud? Is t underpowered for my speakers? Unsure on what is going on. Have I done something wrong in the process?

Thanks Cameron

Check for:

Wiring shorts at AVR and speaker connections, especially stray wire filaments - also check for wire damage from pets chewing etc

Is the AVR adequately ventilated

Are the surrounds set to small in set-up and crossover set to suitable level e.g. 80Hz

Otherwise sounds like a warranty job.

Thanks quark, 

I have 2 of these one for the home theatre and one for the rest of the house so may try to switch them. I only installed yesterday so no chewing and all connectors are bannana plugs that i terminated recently. Have checked and none touching. Ventilation is very good the unit isn’t getting hot. I’m unsure on the crossover and size set so will check that aswell. Should i have to have the volume so high? 

Thanks again

Edited by Camo1151990

7 hours ago, Camo1151990 said:

Thanks quark, 

I have 2 of these one for the home theatre and one for the rest of the house so may try to switch them. I only installed yesterday so no chewing and all connectors are bannana plugs that i terminated recently. Have checked and none touching. Ventilation is very good the unit isn’t getting hot. I’m unsure on the crossover and size set so will check that aswell. Should i have to have the volume so high? 

Thanks again

The 6 Ohm setting works by reducing power, so that may be part of the issue with the volume needing to be so high.

My recollection is that the Mk1 Neuphonix wasn't a very efficient speaker (Mk11 less so), so again may be part of the issue.

Setting the surrounds to small and the crossover correctly is vital - if you overdrive the surrounds at bass frequencies the bass drivers may have shorting rings to protect them - that will trip your AVR. I had the same issue when some visitors played with my crossover settings and sent a full range of frequencies to my surrounds causing my elektra amp to trip on bass heavy material.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

The 6 Ohm setting works by reducing power, so that may be part of the issue with the volume needing to be so high.

My recollection is that the Mk1 Neuphonix wasn't a very efficient speaker (Mk11 less so), so again may be part of the issue.

Setting the surrounds to small and the crossover correctly is vital - if you overdrive the surrounds at bass frequencies the bass drivers may have shorting rings to protect them - that will trip your AVR. I had the same issue when some visitors played with my crossover settings and sent a full range of frequencies to my surrounds causing my elektra amp to trip on bass heavy material.

Also, once you have this sorted, get rid of the 6 Ohm setting unless you're the type who gets tipsy and turns the volume up to 11.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Thanks again Quark,

I ended up swapping amplifiers and putting my second one on the theatre and set it all up the same. Watched a movie and had no issues. So I think it may be the reciever itself. I’ll test it again and see how i go. Thanks again

Hey guys,

I have an issue with my HDMI Out on my Marantz SR7010. I decided to clean up my AV cupboard and moved around my recievers and afterwards i am getting no HDMI Out at all. It was going through a HDBaseT from Blustream and thought it was that so attempted to my Samsung tv and still nothing. I have tried a Reset and says it is on the setup screen but I have no picture to do anything. Any ideas what could be wrong with it? Anywhere else to go now. I was getting sound out but now I have factory reset i now have nothing at all just the setup assistant.

Please help finally sat down after working in there all day and this happens. 

Thankyou in advance.

Cameron Sampson

29 minutes ago, Camo1151990 said:

Please help finally sat down after working in there all day and this happens. 

You have 3 hdmi outs Cameron ; one has ARC so maybe CEC issues ;  try the other one and if that's no good try another hdmi cable  ;) Some one with a Marantz should know more .

12 minutes ago, cwt said:

You have 3 hdmi outs Cameron ; one has ARC so maybe CEC issues ;  try the other one and if that's no good try another hdmi cable  ;) Some one with a Marantz should know more .

Thanks mate,

I have tried all 3 and 3 seperate HDMI Cables. All of which work with other devices. Only thing I could think of is the HDMI board has gone bung but no idea on how to test that theory.

42 minutes ago, cwt said:

Finally got Monitor 2 to work. But that won’t work with my blustream. Can’t get monitor one with arc to work but that wouldn’t bother me aslong as i could get it to thw projector. Thanks for your help mate.