Marantz AV Owners Thread

and ofcourse if looking for actuall disc specs audio wise we have some good info here in the sticky for both disc formats.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=55826

Good and comprehensive list Al . Its interesting to note that the lossy codecs can have 24/48 resolution [ as noted by D.G.] . Needless to say thats the master rate of most new movies . Think I read somewhere that 20 bits is close to 20khz ?- what is usually accepted as the limit of hearing.

Good question if a top quality pre amp using dts core would be very close to an avr decoding lossless. As D.G. notes however it comes down to d/a quality ; pcb layout etc ;) Noise is certainly the enemy of a d/a converters resolution <_<

Good and comprehensive list Al . Its interesting to note that the lossy codecs can have 24/48 resolution [ as noted by D.G.] . Needless to say thats the master rate of most new movies . Think I read somewhere that 20 bits is close to 20khz ?- what is usually accepted as the limit of hearing.

Good question if a top quality pre amp using dts core would be very close to an avr decoding lossless. As D.G. notes however it comes down to d/a quality ; pcb layout etc ;) Noise is certainly the enemy of a d/a converters resolution <_<

lot related to source to I'd suspest cwt. take a pox produced source master yeah do it at 24bit/192khz still likely to sound pox (think pox produced sacd/dvda here). probably also related to down the line equipment I'm sure from pre to pwr to speakers the room and ultimately the person discerning the subjective impression...lot of factors which I'm sure all have their own part to play in all this.

I remember all the discusions when we went from dolby prologic to DD/DTS and people saying how a good pre-pro would do prologic better than an avr doing dd/dts. Well ...I went from a dolby prologic av pre-pro to a humble $2k HK avr at the start of DVD and the avr shat all over what I coudl ever acheive previously ! As to top quality pre-pro using dts core being very close to avr decoding lossless ?..well we'll never know till that comparison is done. Though frankly I'm past all that given in my own experience on dvd and not finding there much difference between mid priced AVRs as pre-pros and av pre-pros even top notch ones ...I wouldnt be expecting any miracles.

Realistically though I am not sure why you would deny yourself the resolution of the source when it is there for the taking... and the real question is ...a top quality pre-pro doing lossless vs an avr as pre-pro doing lossless. Comparisons one day hopefully I'll be able to do once there are enough new gen hdmi pre-pros to choose from and using denon 4308 as benchmark. Keeping in mind as with any of these comparisons the only meaningfull ones are those done in the same context with the same source material and any results obtained still only relating to the context they were received in.

anyways all probably not really of terrible relavance to DG's review thread here I suspect, sorry for the diversion DG !

thanks again for the comments :)

D.G.

Sorry to ask, but are you sure it De-interlaces both 576i or 480i signals.

I could not find any referance and only speaks about up-converts 480i , 480p , 720p and 1080i on page 62 of manual.

KOAZ

it sure does, its the "I/P CONVERT" feature in the video set-up menu (see page p59).

lot related to source to I'd suspest cwt. take a pox produced source master yeah do it at 24bit/192khz still likely to sound pox (think pox produced sacd/dvda here). probably also related to down the line equipment I'm sure from pre to pwr to speakers the room and ultimately the person discerning the subjective impression...lot of factors which I'm sure all have their own part to play in all this.

I remember all the discusions when we went from dolby prologic to DD/DTS and people saying how a good pre-pro would do prologic better than an avr doing dd/dts. Well ...I went from a dolby prologic av pre-pro to a humble $2k HK avr at the start of DVD and the avr shat all over what I coudl ever acheive previously ! As to top quality pre-pro using dts core being very close to avr decoding lossless ?..well we'll never know till that comparison is done. Though frankly I'm past all that given in my own experience on dvd and not finding there much difference between mid priced AVRs as pre-pros and av pre-pros even top notch ones ...I wouldnt be expecting any miracles.

Realistically though I am not sure why you would deny yourself the resolution of the source when it is there for the taking... and the real question is ...a top quality pre-pro doing lossless vs an avr as pre-pro doing lossless. Comparisons one day hopefully I'll be able to do once there are enough new gen hdmi pre-pros to choose from and using denon 4308 as benchmark. Keeping in mind as with any of these comparisons the only meaningfull ones are those done in the same context with the same source material and any results obtained still only relating to the context they were received in.

anyways all probably not really of terrible relavance to DG's review thread here I suspect, sorry for the diversion DG !

no problem Al. i hadnt thought of it before (as i dont have a pre-pro), but it came up in conversation with another forum member who does have a pre-pro he is happy with and is obviously wondering if its going to be worth "downgrading" (so to speak) back to an AVR, in order to get access to lossless DTS decoding. alternatively is the core "close enough" to make justifying it difficult, at least until fully featured pre-pro's come out? Anyway, probably a discussion for another thread!

no problem Al. i hadnt thought of it before (as i dont have a pre-pro), but it came up in conversation with another forum member who does have a pre-pro he is happy with and is obviously wondering if its going to be worth "downgrading" (so to speak) back to an AVR, in order to get access to lossless DTS decoding. alternatively is the core "close enough" to make justifying it difficult, at least until fully featured pre-pro's come out? Anyway, probably a discussion for another thread!

yes a valid question for anyone with a non hdmi pre-pro. I know rodn had a good experience as he posted back here "downgrading" from his rotel pre-pro back to a denon 4308 AVR as pre-pro. but really for anyone to answer for them selves the only way would be for them to do an AB in their own context to decide for themselves whether the change is worth it for them I believe. I suspect too in some ways, especially depending on the source material and the context, that sort of discussion is also a bit similar to the CD vs mp3 or CD vs sacd arguments that will always go on and probably be never a definitive answer people are looking for because its always comes down in the end to a persons own perceptions....

Anyway, if you have made it this far, thanks for reading and please feel free to ask any questions or correct me on anything you think I may have got wrong.

Cheers!

DG, happy Marantz owner. :D

Made it from start to finish :rolleyes:

A great read DG, I will be upgrading this year and the marantz already had me very interested before I read your review.

Wether its the 7002 or the 8002 thats the question. :mellow:

Made it from start to finish :rolleyes:

A great read DG, I will be upgrading this year and the marantz already had me very interested before I read your review.

Wether its the 7002 or the 8002 thats the question. :mellow:

I think the 8002 will probably be another grand in Australia.

Based on what I've read on the AVS forum, if it was stand-alone I'd go the 8002 probably. The power supply and the copper chassis would be worth it.

However, if you are using it as a pre-amp then I think the 7002 would be fine. My 0.02

Based on what I've read on the AVS forum, if it was stand-alone I'd go the 8002 probably. The power supply and the copper chassis would be worth it.

However, if you are using it as a pre-amp then I think the 7002 would be fine. My 0.02

think thats a pretty good summation there lyle. if looking for an avr the 8002 defintely appears to have some positives but purely as pre-pro not sure if there might be anything in it really 7002 - 8002 ? didnt appear to me anyways.

According to to the Len Wallis website the 7002 is $2699 and the 8002 is $3499. :rolleyes:

If the 8002 is a better fit for what I need then I would spend the extra.

I'm glad the financial controller doesnt read my posts :ph34r:

I dont intend going the way of a separate poweramp down the track, but never say never :blush:

According to to the Len Wallis website the 7002 is $2699 and the 8002 is $3499. :rolleyes:

I dont intend going the way of a separate poweramp down the track, but never say never :blush:

if going for it as an avr and not intending going the power amp route, I'd defintely spend the extra. its not a lot more in dollar terms I imagine for the better power amp for the 8002 especially if you factor in a bit of haggling.

I think the street price will be quite a bit better than Len Wallis.

I've heard a rumour that the 7002 can be had for about $2K.

think thats a pretty good summation there lyle. if looking for an avr the 8002 defintely appears to have some positives but purely as pre-pro not sure if there might be anything in it really 7002 - 8002 ? didnt appear to me anyways.

Mmmm I'm drooling now - i wasn't going to upgrade until end of the year but damn the Marantz is looking pretty irresistable :D

I'm planning initally as apre-pro for the front 3 and using the onboard for surrounds... then something like an Elektra or NAD Master series...One Day!!!

What rumour? :D

I've been informed by a local retailer that the warranty is 2 years (although he wasn't 100% on this and was going to call me back). Does anyone know if that is correct? I don't remember reading anything on that in D.G.'s review but I may have missed it.

Mmmm I'm drooling now - i wasn't going to upgrade until end of the year but damn the Marantz is looking pretty irresistable :D

I'm planning initally as apre-pro for the front 3 and using the onboard for surrounds... then something like an Elektra or NAD Master series...One Day!!!

yeah driving the surrounds would hardly be a struggle. with something like the 8002 another option is partnering it up down the track with a 2ch integrated amp with ht bypass, with the 2ch integrated giving benfits 2ch wise and taking the load of the 8002 to drive the rest of the channels. or jsut using it as a pre-pro - options ! options ! options !

wouldnt be suprised, if the box movers like hn are selling these units theres probably some bargains out there to be had !

wouldnt be suprised, if the box movers like hn are selling these units theres probably some bargains out there to be had !

I think because the box movers are selling these units a GB would be out of the question. Or maybe not :)

Maybe a 7002,8002 configuration/pricing thread should be created in the main HT forum?

I've been informed by a local retailer that the warranty is 2 years (although he wasn't 100% on this and was going to call me back). Does anyone know if that is correct? I don't remember reading anything on that in D.G.'s review but I may have missed it.

Actually I just got the answer. The warranty on the 7002/8002 is 3 years.

The power supply and the copper chassis would be worth it.

Whats the advantage of the copper chassis? Heat sink abilities? :unsure:

if going for it as an avr and not intending going the power amp route, I'd defintely spend the extra. its not a lot more in dollar terms I imagine for the better power amp for the 8002 especially if you factor in a bit of haggling.

1 reason I like the look of the Marantz is that they have total power consumption figures a lot closer to their rated power output than some :rolleyes:

I like to haggle :D

I hazarded a guess that the Wallis figures would be rrp? :rolleyes:

Whats the advantage of the copper chassis? Heat sink abilities? :unsure:

1 reason I like the look of the Marantz is that they have total power consumption figures a lot closer to their rated power output than some :rolleyes:

I like to haggle :D

I hazarded a guess that the Wallis figures would be rrp? :rolleyes:

copper chasis = sheilding (from elec interference RF/EM from the outside world) a common tweak with any of the special edition versions of the marantz avrs. how much benfit it brings very hard to answer as youd have to compare an amp with and without it ....and your never goign to be able to do that !

Firstly, sorry if this Q comes across as a naive one... 7002 does not have any upscaling for video so if i want to improve my foxtel signal on the 1080p full hd plasma screen than what do i need to buy to complement the 7002 ? I am guessing that i will need to buy a dedicated upscaler via which i might have to feel foxtel to 7002, Is that correct ? are upscalers like that vey exy ?

Thanks

ritesh

Firstly, sorry if this Q comes across as a naive one... 7002 does not have any upscaling for video so if i want to improve my foxtel signal on the 1080p full hd plasma screen than what do i need to buy to complement the 7002 ? I am guessing that i will need to buy a dedicated upscaler via which i might have to feel foxtel to 7002, Is that correct ? are upscalers like that vey exy ?

Thanks

ritesh

The plasma will already be upscaling your foxtel... one of the reasons i like the Marantz is it accepts that the display SHOULD be doing the scaling and so doesn't add extra circuitry (and noise etc) doing more than is necessary...

Now if you are unhappy with your foxtel PQ then you could check out the Onkyo 905 with it's reon video processing chip... no guarentees but may be better than whats on board your display.

Otherwise you need a standalone Video Processor... like a VP 50 etc and as Al said, it's an investment in the thousands not hundreds :D

The plasma will already be upscaling your foxtel... one of the reasons i like the Marantz is it accepts that the display SHOULD be doing the scaling and so doesn't add extra circuitry (and noise etc) doing more than is necessary...

Now if you are unhappy with your foxtel PQ then you could check out the Onkyo 905 with it's reon video processing chip... no guarentees but may be better than whats on board your display.

Otherwise you need a standalone Video Processor... like a VP 50 etc and as Al said, it's an investment in the thousands not hundreds :D

Does that mean that you can connect fotel via component to the 7002 and HDMI through to say a pioneer lx50a? The signal passed through will then be up converted by the plasma? Do I have it right?

Cheers Pete

The Marantz will upconvert the component signal to HDMI then the Plasma will upscale it from there yes.

If it didn't you would only be seeing 540 lines or so (possibly less with some channels) and thus would be wasting half of that lovely displays area (and have very small looking foxtel!)