Marantz AV Owners Thread

I am a Marantz lover, hence I would like to start a thread which shares info between owners and potential buyers of this brand's lovely products.

I don't work for them, but I am happy to show the sound my SR 12 can give to friendly forumers who are keen on a test or two.

The SR 8001 was a price point leader and is still a v decent amp IMO.

But some info to share on its succesor:

http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2007/neuheitenvorschau_august.shtml

Translated:

Marantz

Marantz offers two new AV aV-Receiver with HDMI 1.3-Schnittstellen, which are presented on the IFA with the SR7002 and the SR8002. 

"

SR8002

The Topmodell with the Marantz marantz-Receiver is the SR8002, which would like to set new yardsticks in the class of the high-quality AV aV-Receiver concerning the equipment and the klanglichen performance. In addition the SR7002 gets a second HDMI exit. A further, new feature is the "MDAX" (Marantz digital audio expansion), which aufpeppt the sound quality of compressed MP3-Playern etc. after newest realizations and makes acoustically better thus. In the scope of supply of both receiver now also a new is, additional remote maintenance (RC101) with Multiroom instructions contained, which the control from the secondary room simplifies again.

The SR8002 is THX SELECT 2-zertifiziert and offers to output stages with an output of 7 x 125 Watts. As up-to-date usually, the new hp clay/tone formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS hp master audio are decoded just like Dolby digital plus. The Marantz has the moreover one over THX Surround ex and Circle Surround 2 as the third Surroundaufpolierer additionally to DTS Neo:6 and Dolby pro Logic IIx. Dolby Virtual Speaker II and Dolby Headphone is than Decoding units likewise also on board. "MDAX" (Marantz digital audio expansion) is with compressed audio formats e.g. MP3 a better klangbild to make possible. A loudspeaker measuring and a Equalizing system from the house Audyssey continue the feature list. Four HDMI 1.3-Eingaenge as well as two HDMI of 1,3 exits (over remote maintenance or over RS232 control system adjustably) and a high-quality video conversion with line memory are further equipment characteristics. On the inside an unloading Ringkerntrafo is to provide for an immense current deliverability. The chassis is copper-coated - a typical characteristic of high-quality Marantz AV aV-Receiver -. Two independent zones for audio and video are available. With the RC8001SR and the small RC101 is attached equivalent two to remote maintenance. The SR8002 comes on 1.799 EUR and is presumably available starting from in the middle of November 2007. The smaller SR7002 differs by slightly lower performance data from the SR8002. Here 7 x 110 Watts of achievement (after RMS) line up. Also the SR7002 bring along 1,3 entrances and even two HDMI of 1,3 exits already four for HDMI. Like the SR8002 it is THX SELECT 2-zertifiziert and supportet decodingtechnisch the new hp clay/tone formats. MDAX belongs also with the SR7002 to the features, likewise the two provided remote maintenance. The high-quality video conversion is also characteristic of the SR7002 - in the interior life and with the chassis it goes for it more simply too (no Ringkerntrafo, no copper plated chassis). The SR7002 is concerning the price about 1.399 EUR and already is starting from at the beginning of November in the trade. Both Marantz AV aV-Receiver are available in silver or black version. 

"

http://www.hdtv-space-forum.de/avreceiver/marantz_sr70028002_truehd_dtshd_ma_und_2_hdmiausgaenge-t962.0.html;msg7050

The basic data of the Marantz SR8002:

• THX-Select2-zertifizierter AV aV-Receiver with current inverse feedback and 7 x 125 Watts of RMS achievement

• Dolby digital plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS hp and 7,1 Multichannel PCM for hp audio

• 32-Bit-DSP with THX Surround ex, DD-EX, DTS IT, DTS96/24, CSII and DPL IIx

• Audio add-on unit for all compressed audio formats such as MP-3, WAV, AAC etc..

• New ral Surround, Dolby Headphone and Dolby Virtual Speaker II

• Room Acoustic Calibration with EQ von Audyssey for the automatic loudspeaker configuration with microphone

• Four HDMI1.3-Eingaenge for digital audio and video, including support of high depth of shade

• Two over the remote maintenance or RS232 directly selectable HDMI1.3-Ausgaenge

• First-class video conversion with line memory up to HDMI level

• Enormous Ringkerntrafo with screen for immediate current availability

• Copper-coated chassis for grounding with lowest impedance in each place

• Select components for best sound achievement for stereo and multi-channel concepts

• Two independent zones for audio and video in several areas or from several sources (1x to component level)

• RC101 for multi-space use or as simple remote maintenance for main area in the scope of supply contain

• Allocatable Surround bake loudspeaker for multi-space concept

• Loudspeaker C function for genuine Bi-Amping of the front channel with 5.1-Konzepten

• Pure Direct mode and video out mode for best similar sound

• Clay/tone delay function for the synchronization of audio/video

• RS232c-Port, Flasher entrance and IR Flasher exit, IR iR-Receiver and DC triggers for system integration

• RC8001SR - adaptive system remote maintenance with macro functions and background lighting

Available starting from in the middle of November 2007, execution in silver, UVP € 1,799, -

The basic data of the Marantz SR7002:

• THX-Select2-zertifizierter AV aV-Receiver with current inverse feedback and 7 x 110 Watts of RMS achievement

• Dolby digital plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS hp and 7,1 Multichannel PCM for hp audio

• 32-Bit-DSP with THX Surround ex, DD-EX, DTS IT, DTS96/24, CSII and DPL IIx

• Audio add-on unit for all compressed audio formats such as MP-3, WAV, AAC etc..

• New ral Surround, Dolby Headphone and Dolby Virtual Speaker II

• Room Acoustic Calibration with EQ von Audyssey for the automatic loudspeaker configuration with microphone

• Four HDMI1.3-Eingaenge for digital audio and video, including support of high depth of shade

• Two over remote maintenance or RS232 directly selectable HDMI1.3-Ausgaenge

• First-class video conversion with line memory up to HDMI level

• Interlace progressive conversion for similar into HDMI converted video signals

• An independent zone for audio and video in several areas or from several sources

• RC101 for multi-space use or as simple remote maintenance for main area in the scope of supply contain

• Allocatable Surround bake loudspeaker for multi-space concept

• Loudspeaker C function for genuine Bi-Amping of the front channel with 5.1-Konzepten

• 192-kHz/24-Bit-D/A-Wandler for all channels

• Pure Direct mode and video out mode for best similar sound

• Clay/tone delay function for the synchronization of audio/video

• RS232c-Port, Flasher in haven and DC trigger for system integration

• Function for renaming from entrances to the adjustment at user demands

• RC8001SR - adaptive system remote maintenance with macro functions and background lighting

Available starting from at the beginning of November 2007, remarks silver and black, UVP € 1,399, -

Thanks to S.C.:

http://www.audioholics.com/news/trade-show-coverage/2007-cedia-expo/marantz-a-v-receivers

MARANTZ A / V RECEIVERS

by J. Walker Clarke, Jr. — last modified September 07, 2007 09:19

Filed under: A/V Receivers

Marantz A/V Receivers

Marantz America is upgrading its acclaimed line of multi-channel audio/video receivers at CEDIA 2007 with the introduction of four new models that provide custom installers with the leading-edge tools and capabilities they need to serve their clients with dynamic surround sound solutions and multi-room signal distribution.

The company’s four new 7.1-channel receivers, all with HDMI 1.3 switching capability, include the SR8002 (SRP: $2,099.99), replacing the SR8001; the SR7002 (SRP: $1,499.99), replacing the SR7001; the SR5002 (SRP: $799.99), replacing the SR5001; and the SR4002 (SRP: $599.99), replacing the SR4001. The four new Marantz® receivers will be available in October.

Marantz’ new A / V receivers offer a wide variety of features and capabilities that will appeal particularly to custom installers, such as detachable power cords and lead-free construction. Among the leading-edge technologies included in various models throughout the line are THX® Select2 processing, multi-room distribution, Dolby Laboratories' Virtual Speaker 2, MultEQ™ room correction and calibration technology from Audyssey Laboratories, as well as Marantz’ proprietary MRAC (Marantz Room Acoustic Calibration) feature with an included high-quality microphone. All four new models feature a specially designed shallow (<16” deep) chassis with a sleek front-panel design, as well as a cursor-controlled menu system for total ease of operation.

SR8002 and SR7002

The Marantz SR8002 and SR7002 receivers reflect the company’s commitment to providing superior audio and video performance from all sources, and both provide users with an easy way to distribute audio and video entertainment to multiple separate zones within the home. Both receivers feature Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS HD decoding capabilities along with XM HD. The SR8002 also features HD Radio, 3 zones of audio, a copper chassis and a toroidal power transformer. Both models include four HDMI 1.3 inputs and two HDMI 1.3 outputs. For ease of set-up and enhanced performance, both feature HDMI 1.3 repeating capability, eliminating signal loss and allowing them to repeat 1080p video signals from HDMI input to HDMI output as well as decode a variety of audio signals via HDMI. Both models are capable of upconverting Composite, S video and Component Video signals to HDMI, feature a 480i / 480p converter, with time-based correction, have assignable dual component outputs as well as two DC trigger outputs. The SR8002’s massive Toroidal Transformer provides 125 watts of power output for authoritative, effortless reproduction of movie soundtracks and music (the SR7002 outputs110-watts per channel). A special Compressed Music Enhancer feature in both models adds dynamics to the enjoyment of music recorded in MP3 and other compressed formats.

SR5002 and SR4002

Marantz will also be showcasing its two new high-value 7.1-channel surround sound receivers, models SR5002 and SR4002, both featuring upgrades to HDMI 1.3 switching. Both models also feature HDMI 1.1 Repeating capability, and for total future-readiness, both will also accept LPCM 7.1 signals from an HD DVD player or Blu-ray player. Both models are ideal for customers who wish to step up to a higher level of home entertainment performance and flexibility for a more affordable price. In addition to Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS and DTS ES processing, they both feature dual component outputs and upconversion capability to component video. As a multi-room receiver, the SR5002 provides 2nd zone audio output capability (individual source), IR Flasher input DC trigger output and RS232 port. In addition, it is XM-ready with discrete IR commands.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry OT alittle.. even their usually S$500+ Int Amp series are getting toroidal transformers.. Makes me wonder why Denon/Pioneer AVRs can cost so much more and yet with so little to offer in the important power section.

http://whathifi.com/hi-fi/archive/2007/09/14/news-marantz-launches-163-270-stereo-amplifier.aspx

I think these are the main selling points why many consider Marantz to be more musical and pay more attention to the audiophile aspect of the business.

Actually their feature set lags behind brands like Onkyo, their stable mate Denon, Pioneer and are only better than Rotel and NAD.

But in terms of musicality, they are only bested by these two brands usually. Arcam is also another musical brand but only in two channel and they cost a lot more for less features.

For the audiophile looking to move into HT, Marantz remains a good brand offering decent value for money.

Having said that, there are also some notable amps with decent sound without a toroidal, but less often.

Many amps are sold on their feature set alone.

Sorry OT alittle.. even their usually S$500+ Int Amp series are getting toroidal transformers.. Makes me wonder why Denon/Pioneer AVRs can cost so much more and yet with so little to offer in the important power section.

http://whathifi.com/hi-fi/archive/2007/09/14/news-marantz-launches-163-270-stereo-amplifier.aspx

Hi people. I have been using the Marantz 4200 amp for some 4-5 years now and it has started to give me problems.  For one thing, I can't switched it on. I mean when I switched on the main switch, the red dot lights up but I can't get it to switch on. Then, when I tried pressing the selector switches, the one furthest from the off switch (tuner), the red light will blink, well not exactly blink, but it will go off when I press the tuner switch. Anybody have this problem before? Should I get it fixed? And can anybody tell me where I could get it fixed? The net states the distributor is somewhere in Sunshine Plaza, near SL. Is there where i should send the amp to?

Thanks.

Why not call them:

Singapore

D&M Electronics Singapore Pte Ltd. 

91 Bencoolen Street #10-03/04 Sunshine Plaza, Singapore 189652

Phone +65-6339-1181 Fax +65-6339-8366 

I had a friend's 5200 fail not too long ago, the repairs cost >200 in Australia, so he bought a new one.

Caps can fail and so can the transformer of these MIC products.

If it costs >$150 it may be worth your while to buy new

Another place to enquire may be Memory Lane in Adelphi

google for their number.

Hi people. I have been using the Marantz 4200 amp for some 4-5 years now and it has started to give me problems.  For one thing, I can't switched it on. I mean when I switched on the main switch, the red dot lights up but I can't get it to switch on. Then, when I tried pressing the selector switches, the one furthest from the off switch (tuner), the red light will blink, well not exactly blink, but it will go off when I press the tuner switch. Anybody have this problem before? Should I get it fixed? And can anybody tell me where I could get it fixed? The net states the distributor is somewhere in Sunshine Plaza, near SL. Is there where i should send the amp to?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello petetherock, like to thks you for the demo on your system on last sat. So sorry to distrub your rest.

Anyway, really amaze by the sound produce by your SR12. Especially, when playing the "Rules Of Engagement", the ambient and atmosphere, it really sound I was there in the scene. Even the files flying I can hear them buzzing around.

Even palying 2.1 setup I also still can hear the clear ambient sound.

Now you really dump a big posion in my blood to get the same sound I hear from your setup (hopefully I can produce it from my own setup).

Thks for your advice & pointers!