Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Marantz 2015 AV processors

Marantz has released their new model AV7702 and AV8802 av processors here for 2015,

now while might deceptively look like just a refresh to include the new 3D audio formats and latest HDMI and 4k capability, it appears that audio wise they have had more than a refresh as well. more like a re design.

noticed this page here, with couple of D&M group presentations that run through what has been done with these new models

http://www.soundvideo.com/2015/01/29/the-new-marantz-av-8802-av-7702-atmos-comparisons/

the page suggesting audio wise the 7702 is steps ahead than the 8801 even ! 

now no surprises the basis of the marantz processors is the denon cousins. the back plates for instance exactly the same. but still none the less it appears marantz has gone to some effort this time around audio wise.

exciting times if wanting to buy a marantz av processor...with the av8801 on run out at close to 50% off rrp. a nice processor in itself and best can buy from the D&M group right now. but if wait soon the av8802/av7702 will arrive...though goodness for potential buyers I do hope qualifi the local importer is kind and doesn't carried away with a dollar heading south and all :D   

though if any indication looks like west coast hifi in WA already have them on their website and sharply priced !  

http://www.westcoasthificannington.com.au/Brands/Marantz.aspx

I thought the 8802 was released last year or did they just run out of stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the 8802 was released last year or did they just run out of stock?

hi pasa, your probably thinking of the snippets of info that popped up on the net around jun last year along with the denon 7200 that shares its chassis. official announcement wasn't till late dec last year,

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/press/home-theater-news/the-marantz-av8802-is-announced/

and pre views and reviews in the press have followed since in the last couple of months. 

http://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/marantz-av8802-preamplifier

Release date from everything have read, even in the US was february this year. And from what I understand there are a few early units out there, but for us locally no idea when its supposed to lob.

one watch out in all this is full hdmi 2.0 hdcp 2.2 capability thats required for 4k blu-ray, but since the spec of that isn't set so far, that will apparently be provided down the track with a "hardware upgrade" not sure what the additional cost of that is…but it will involve no doubt a visit back to the service centre. some will just wait I suspect to buy when the thing is fully done and ready :)

The AV7702 was released in Australia last year but ran out of stock pretty quickly as the first shipment only had 3 units - I got the first one :)

AV8802 and the second shipment of AV7702 are coming this month, but AFAIK most (if not all) units coming this month have already been purchased.

The AV7702 was released in Australia last year but ran out of stock pretty quickly as the first shipment only had 3 units - I got the first one :)

AV8802 and the second shipment of AV7702 are coming this month, but AFAIK most (if not all) units coming this month have already been purchased.

lucky you ! :D yeah I can imagine a lot of demand for the 7702 being the bargain it is at 50% of the price of the 8802, and especially since its being touted as surpassing the current av8801 ! 

one thing not totally clear one av7702 though is whether it is upgradeable for 4K blu-ray like the 8802...though this suspect not a huge factor for many considering and for those wanting that will probably wait in any case :)

both these processors I suspect are red hot product for marantz worldwide...given the only av processors in the D&M group, and given they come fully loaded with regard audyssey including pro capability and especially since onkyo/integra with their new range are not doing audyssey anymore. Good to see marantz really going to some effort on these.

congrats on your 7702 ! and look forward to your thoughts and impressions.

not sure if had a peep at the D&M power points in the original link in the opening post...has quite a bit of info and internal pics of insides and PC boards  components etc if interested in this kind of thing :)

lucky you ! :D yeah I can imagine a lot of demand for the 7702 being the bargain it is at 50% of the price of the 8802, and especially since its being touted as surpassing the current av8801 ! 

one thing not totally clear one av7702 though is whether it is upgradeable for 4K blu-ray like the 8802...though this suspect not a huge factor for many considering and for those wanting that will probably wait in any case :)

both these processors I suspect are red hot product for marantz worldwide...given the only av processors in the D&M group, and given they come fully loaded with regard audyssey including pro capability and especially since onkyo/integra with their new range are not doing audyssey anymore. Good to see marantz really going to some effort on these.

congrats on your 7702 ! and look forward to your thoughts and impressions.

Hm I've never made an impression before and not sure where to begin.

I've never heard the 8801 so can't compare, but it's obviously better than a SR6009.

In a stereo setup, I compared the Marantz against a Metrum Octave, Audiophilleo2 + Pure Power and I couldn't hear much differences, this is a good thing, or it could also be because my HT speakers simply aren't designed for music.

So far I have heard MCACC, Audyssey XT, XT32, YPAO and ARC and I found AV7702/XT32 to have the best presentation for movies, but I can't say for sure whether it's the processor or the method used, since the equipment used and room configurations were all different. Watching James Cameron's Avatar was simply breathtaking, I watched the original at iMax, then at a heavily treated room at an AV demo and I'd say the AV7702 trumped them both and I have zero acoustic treatment in our room.

I read some guy compared the AV7702 against a DataSat RS20i and thought the AV7702 sounded better, if true then - what a bargain!

Hm I've never made an impression before and not sure where to begin.

I've never heard the 8801 so can't compare, but it's obviously better than a SR6009.

In a stereo setup, I compared the Marantz against a Metrum Octave, Audiophilleo2 + Pure Power and I couldn't hear much differences, this is a good thing, or it could also be because my HT speakers simply aren't designed for music.

So far I have heard MCACC, Audyssey XT, XT32, YPAO and ARC and I found AV7702/XT32 to have the best presentation for movies, but I can't say for sure whether it's the processor or the method used, since the equipment used and room configurations were all different. Watching James Cameron's Avatar was simply breathtaking, I watched the original at iMax, then at a heavily treated room at an AV demo and I'd say the AV7702 trumped them both and I have zero acoustic treatment in our room.

I read some guy compared the AV7702 against a DataSat RS20i and thought the AV7702 sounded better, if true then - what a bargain!

sounds like it really is hitting the spot ! 

great to read your impressions of it :)

yes am a fan of audyssey xt32 myself, and looks like working in well with the av7702 for you to excellent end result. congrats :)

I have no doubt at the price its going for is quite the bargain for an av processor.

The AV7702 has me intrigued ;)

Anyone has any pricing on these or good prices to follow up on? Westcoast Hifi here in Perth are running a special for $3090, RRP $3390.  I'm sure with a bit of shopping around I could get this below $3k ;) With the dollar at its current low, and with all this talk of a GST increase in the pipeline, might be a good time to purchase one.

Cheers

Don't know if this is useful information or is already known:

Auro 3D Compatible Receivers Denon and Marantz now offer Auro 3D firmware upgrades for Denon models AVR-X7200W, AVR-X5200W and AVR-X4100W and Marantz models AV8802, AV7702 and SR7009.

Edited by pasadena

Don't know if this is useful information or is already known:

Auro 3D Compatible Receivers Denon and Marantz now offer Auro 3D firmware upgrades for Denon models AVR-X7200W, AVR-X5200W and AVR-X4100W and Marantz models AV8802, AV7702 and SR7009.

I notice this page here for marantz,

http://upgrade.marantz.com/na/marantz/pages/home.aspx

have seen prices quoted of 149 euro and US$199 us for the upgrade. this is cheap when consider on the DataSat mentioned before it is a 2500 euro software upgrade !!

some confusion still in the various speaker config for auro3D, atmos and where DTS-UHD fits in all this ? have read somewhere the dts-UHD upgrade on denon marantz will be free...though yet to see anything official in this regard :)

The AV7702 has me intrigued ;)

Anyone has any pricing on these or good prices to follow up on? Westcoast Hifi here in Perth are running a special for $3090, RRP $3390.  I'm sure with a bit of shopping around I could get this below $3k ;) With the dollar at its current low, and with all this talk of a GST increase in the pipeline, might be a good time to purchase one.

Cheers

I got it for $2,900, pickup. Hope that helps :)

As we've only just moved into out house, I've been going over measurements of our activity room that we are converting to a Home Theatre (4m x 4.2m) and it's not going to fit all my separates and not even sure if it will even fit my main speakers due to the location of the entry door.  This means I'll have to do away with the Marantz AV7702 and instead look at the SR7009.  Looks like I'll be leaving my speakers and separates upstairs in the parents retreat.

Another option I have been looking into today is to get a Denon AVR-4520, which they are currently discounting as a discontinued product in readiness for new products arriving in April.  I'm deciding on what TV to get but I was thinking of pairing an LG 65" 4K 65UB980T with either the SR7009 or the 4520 or go for the larger standard Full HD Samsung 75" UA75H6400 or Samsung 75" UA75H7000AWXXY.  I currently have a Samsung 55" UA55C7000 LED TV and very happy with the picture. Seating will be approx 3.8m from the TV so I think from that distance the standard 75" will look just as good as a 65" UHD.  The only think I favour UHD is 3D, which is exceptional in UHD.

Edited by pasadena

I picked mine up last week

Price $2700 could have had it cheaper but since the store only had 2 one was sold and they new they could pull an extra couple of hundreds out of me so I bit the bullet and got it.

Great unit happy so far

Only using 5.1 for now

What settings are people using for dialogue level and subwoofer level.

Also I did a quick Audyssey setup with some noise need to do it when quiet.

Does anyone think I should do a pro is it worth it as I have the kit and contemplating should I.

It sound very good now with the standard Audyssey xt32.

Denis

I picked mine up last week

Price $2700 could have had it cheaper but since the store only had 2 one was sold and they new they could pull an extra couple of hundreds out of me so I bit the bullet and got it.

Great unit happy so far

Only using 5.1 for now

What settings are people using for dialogue level and subwoofer level.

Also I did a quick Audyssey setup with some noise need to do it when quiet.

Does anyone think I should do a pro is it worth it as I have the kit and contemplating should I.

It sound very good now with the standard Audyssey xt32.

Denis

congrats Denis. presume 7702 you've grabbed :)

good to hear sounds great....oh yeah I'd go the pro...especially since have to do again by the sounds anyways and you have a kit :)

look forward to how finding as things settles in :)

Yes 7702. I'll need to purchase the license to see how it goes.

well haven't read any local feedback on the 8802 as yet. understandable I guess given there was a grand total of something like 2 units that were delivered into the country :D

supposedly more coming later in the month so who knows might get to hear how someone local finds it :)

announcement from Audioholics re the HDCP 2.2 and DTS-X for marantz 8802 and denon 7200 cousin, 

Executive Overview
HDCP 2.2

Marantz is announcing  the hardware upgrade for the AV8802 flagship A/V preamplifier. As promised in January, current owners of the AV8802 AV pre/pro will be able to upgrade it to support HDCP 2.2 copy protection protocol. The HDCP 2.2 Upgrade is expected to be available for owners of the AV8802 beginning in June.  In addition, Marantz expects to start shipping the factory-upgraded AV8802 which will be referenced as “AV8802A” (MSRP $3,999) beginning in the middle of June.

Denon is announcing the availability of a hardware upgrade for their AVR-X7200W flagship Network A/V Receiver. As promised last November, current owners of this AVR will be able to upgrade their unit to support future-proof HDCP 2.2 copy protection protocol.  The HDCP 2.2 Upgrade is expected to be available for owners of the AVR-X7200W beginning May1st.  At the same time, Denon expects to start shipping the factory-upgraded AVR-X7200W which will be referenced as “AVR-X7200WA” (MSRP $2,999) beginning in the middle of May.

DTS:X Immersive Surround Sound

Both Marantz and Denon have announced DTS:X upgrades to the AV8802 and AVR-X7200W, respectively.  These are some of the industry's first products that will support ALL of the latest 3D surround codecs (Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D and DTS:X).  Unlike Dolby Atmos, DTS:X is speaker agnostic allowing for more flexibility in speaker placements and configurations.  Though no specific timeframe is given, you can expect the DTS:X firmware upgrade to be available for these products later this year.

Stay tuned for our full report about DTS:X and how it will impact the consumer AV marketplace for home theater and headphones too.

17022836119_008e7f0f99_b.jpg

Just curious more than anything ..... 

That's an expensive piece of curiosity ;)

Should you decide it's not for you PM me.

17022836119_008e7f0f99_b.jpg

Just curious more than anything ..... 

Drool!

That's an expensive piece of curiosity ;)

Should you decide it's not for you PM me.

thanks will keep in mind, as they say nothing ventured nothing gained :)

Drool!

thnaks Quark...I cant wait to open the box ...see whats inside :D

Yawn, another new toy at the house of @ :) al !       ;)