What cheap components to use for a soundproof wall

Hey, can you guys give some advice on cheap stuff to use in a soundproof wall?

First thing - drywall furring channels.  I found reasonably priced stuff at Bunnings (Peer brand).  Any other stuff available in OZ, preferably in 25 gauge thickness?

Second thing - resilient mounting clips.  Bunnings (again, Peer brand) doesn't seem to offer resilient clips.  Whisper clips are very expensive to import, so I was wondering whether there is a cheap option...

Third thing - visco-elastic adhesive to bond two layers of wall panels.  There is the obvious Green Glue, but again, that's rather pricy.  Standard silicone may do the job, I'm just not so sure about the adhesive properties and the time required to dry.  Has anybody used some cheapo alternative for this purpose?

Big thanks upfront to everyone for putting thoughts in writing.  Soundproof walls are a huge topic for the urban audio crowd, so I hope with a bit of brainstorming we bang up a couple of products that make a well performing wall affordable as well...

Good topic Svenr, I'm in the process of doing this myself.

Unfortunately from my research I'm not prepared to try anything other than green glue because I haven't come across a cheaper alternative that has been tested, it's a lot of work to install and not easy to pull down and start over. I think silicone is not viscous enough for this purpose. I did look at fire rated sealant because it has similar characteristics, ie it doesn't set hard, but again the ones rated for reasonable acoustic ratings are pretty much the same price as green glue. On the resilient clips, Studco have some that are comparable to green glue whisper clips but also similar in price. I am currently looking at embelton ceiling hangers because the whisper clips aren't really suited to ceiling mounting and in my case I need something that works on floor joists that aren't exactly level, Studco have something similar and only slightly cheaper but I think I would trust embelton over Studco in this instance.

I'll be following this one for others ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

Guest Peter the Greek

Do you have a good source of cheap 2x4? If you do, an isolated frame might be the go (but then you need LVL's or HY joists on top and they are not cheap - that's what I did.....PITA IMO.....I'd just man up and get the whisper clips ;)

IMO isolation is key

Then Mass

Then Damping

BGC make the most dense fire rated plaster in Australia, but the CSR product is nearly as good - just find somewhere cheap. I'd go an extra layer of that if you can't afford green glue (which I used....and yes its not cheap....freight is the killer, its so damn heavy). Quietglue is a cheaper alternative, don't know how the current version compares to GG (I just don't like the local supplier, so I wont buy on principle) 

My understanding is that the whisper clip might actually be designed/made in Australia....I seen to recall reading about that.....

Do you know of a company called Embelton? they might be able to help - I have used a few things from them

• 3 months later...

Another one - where can one source limp mass membranes / mass loaded vinyl / deadsheet / [.. insert other names here ..] with a density of around 5kg/m2?  

Old thread, but just in case you're still looking, cheapest I've found MLV is here:

http://insulationbattsaustralia.com.au/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=vinyl&search_in_description=1&x=0&y=0

Mike