"Robusto" - 500W Class D power amp

mwhouston

I wanted to head this "pure Class D" because of so many Class A amps claiming they are genuine Class A amps. "Robusto" because this amps should have a big capacity. The Sure Class D module is marketed as 2 X 500W amp. But this is into 3omhs at better than %10 distortion.

So let's be realistic. I think this module will produce about 300W into 4ohms. I'm going to feed the module about 48V. To generate a total of 600w (both channels driven) I'll have to supply about 12A! That is a lot of current. In fact the PS I'm building will deliver 16A at 48V. 

It's one thing to have two massive trannies capable of delivering this sort of current but the rest of your wiring has to be up to the task also.

I have 4 X 10,000uf\63V Nippon caps. These, a 35A rec.bridge and two huge trannies should deliver sufficient current and voltage to power this monster. Most of the enclosure is complete. While I'm waiting for the module to arrive I will continue working the enclosure and PS.

I don't need 500W or even 100W into 8 ohms but I did find with the 100W version I built (see other post) when you turn these amps right up they distort real quick. I want to be able to turn up this amp with distortion figures staying under %1.

Here are some images of the PS so far. Lots more to do. The 40,000uf of caps are wired with 2 X 1mm pure silver wire. According to one chart this should handle 40A. I only need it to handle no more than 16A. I added brass washers under the wire for a better grip.

The two trannies are rated 300W each. Easy to see this amp can deliver no more than 600W total (trannies in parallel\series). Still waiting 500W Sure module.

post-108489-0-76120800-1423179829_thumb.

post-108489-0-57169900-1423179851_thumb.

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 4

Does the module use a single supply rail? I'm looking at the filter cap arrangement but it's obviously not complete yet, so just curious.

Cheers!

I just realised I'm not following my own post. Yes the modules only requires a single rail. Upto 52V for full power.

Finished and sounding great. A lot of work and as you can see pretty cramped under the bonnet. The max voltage you can feed this module is 52V. My PS develops 54V and can deliver 16A (theoretically). It weighs in at just over 10kg. With my ear to the speaker a very slight hiss but at 1m, nothing.

Sound stage is razor sharp with central images etched into marble. I have never heard anything so precise. The overall sound may be a little forward but this is comparing with a 300B tube amp. Bass is extensive and full-on. And this baby plays loud. Way too loud for my 30W speakers. No distortion or strain when cranked. It should deliver about 200Wpc with under 1% distortion. It is clean, clear but doesn't feel too analytic. Decay is crazy long and reverb and echo like I have never heard anywhere. Spending time now burning it in. Robusto is a crazy good amp.

post-108489-0-31552200-1423784366_thumb.

post-108489-0-93853300-1423784372_thumb.

post-108489-0-04914200-1423784384_thumb.

• Like 3

Sure Electronics 500W module, thermal fan and quiet. My speakers are about 87db efficient. No trannie hum or buzz. The amp has its own RFI\EMI power filter and have a DC blocker on everything.

Aha, I was asking for the chipset not the board vendor, but checking their web site it appears to be using the TAS5630 chipset.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas5630.pdf

I still get a bit of mechanical transformer hum from my bigger amp with a toroidal, even though it has an EMI filter & I tried it with an isolation transformer to take any possible DC on the line and it was still there. only audible close to the amp so not something I'm losing sleep over.

In a comparative test against the 100W module yesterday the 500W version shone out in the end. It was amazing how close they sounded. But with the extra power ROBUSTO could scale better and just edged out the 100W version. I also felt transparency and decay were better handled. There is no strain when playing loud with ROBUSTO and when big dynamics come in. The amp takes no prisoners.

Sound stage is razor sharp with central images etched into marble. I have never heard anything so precise. The overall sound may be a little forward but this is comparing with a 300B tube amp. Bass is extensive and full-on. And this baby plays loud. Way too loud for my 30W speakers. No distortion or strain when cranked. It should deliver about 200Wpc with under 1% distortion. It is clean, clear but doesn't feel too analytic. Decay is crazy long and reverb and echo like I have never heard anywhere. Spending time now burning it in. Robusto is a crazy good amp.[/size]

Amp looks great, your review of its sound is well expressed (wish some of the pro-reviewers would talk straight like that).

What did it cost to build?

Regards,

Steve.