Sign in to follow this  
ELYAS

:( I have to be honest with myself, and it makes me sad.

The only time i spin vinyl is when the family has gone to bed at night and when they're out.  This may equate to maybe 2-3 sessions a week for 1-2 hours..

For other times during the day/weekend, i get 4-5 hours of listening of streamed digital music, which indeed does get more 'airtime' than my tt.

But i'm happy with this arrangement, as vinyl sessions makes me appreciate the music more..yes i have to get up every 3-4 songs to swap sides..clean the sucker..clean the stylus..drop the stylus onto the groove..but thats just have the fun! 

What albums have you listened to OP?

I find a decent recording can make all the difference, on vinyl more than any other medium IME

me too, grew up with vinyl and thought CD was the best, I even gave away all my vinyl to friends, 25 years later I am back to square one, and find that the dark side is better than the bright side...

I don't mind all the getting up changing sides, brushing, clearning..etc because they are all part of the listening experience, to add to these, I have a 2 year old boy, I have to pull all my tubes out from the amps every nite after I finish listening, cover the TT and shut all the power! However I still listen to CDs when I need some background music.  

I wonder how many people,  especially those new to vinyl,  go through a similar thought process/conflict?     How many throw in the towel and how many push through the early doubts?

It's like learning to drive a car.   Auto is the easy option,  but if you learn to drive manual it can be more enjoyable and soon becomes second nature.  

Edited by manchu

I have appreciated all of the comments and opinions. I understand and accept that my gripes arn't really deal breakers, and to be honest, I do enjoy the 'ritual' that comes with dropping that tonearm. Another aspect which I didn't touch on however, is the financial input required. Vinyl is just a little too expensive, especially for new good quality pressings and for me, the romance and quality and richness of sound achieved through vinyl isn't *THAT* much better as to justify the ongoing expense.

Don't get me wrong, it's with a very heavy heart that I've decided to sell, but I know that if I don't right now, I may find myself in too deep.

I've left myself a bit of a lifeline and sticking to my guns about not separating out the gear, I'll only sell as a whole. I don't think it will sell very quickly and I plan to give it a real hot go over the next week or so, with a few more records coming in today or tomorrow. Who knows, maybe you'll see that classified listing dissappeare...

Suffice to say, I feel guilty every time I walk into my living room and see the TT sitting there in it's wonderful state...

Lots of good s/h vinyl for sale in various states of condition.

-but no guarantee of musical satisfaction.

use the money you get to buy something you really like.

Vinyl is just a little too expensive

That then is another story.    The cost of the music can be a killer and not being able to afford what you want it is infinitely more frustrating that a bit of dust or getting off your chair every 20-30minutes.   

I definitely can't afford much new music,  but there's ways to get by:

- Tell friends and family to by me records for bday/xmas.  It's better than socks and jocks!

- Keep my eyes peeled on the SNA classifieds. 

- Op shops.  It takes some patience but you can occasionally get lucky.  Just last week I scored Bob Dylan - Masterpieces.  3LP's  for $1.  (broken spine, but not a mark on the vinyl) 

- Record fairs and stores like Dixons for used stuff.   

Point is..it can be expensive,  but it doesn't have to be.  

I agree with much the OP says though I still buy vinyl and I play it weekly.

However, I will no longer purchase double vinyl albums, 2 or 3 songs a side is ridiculous.

I have appreciated all of the comments and opinions. I understand and accept that my gripes arn't really deal breakers, and to be honest, I do enjoy the 'ritual' that comes with dropping that tonearm. Another aspect which I didn't touch on however, is the financial input required. Vinyl is just a little too expensive, especially for new good quality pressings and for me, the romance and quality and richness of sound achieved through vinyl isn't *THAT* much better as to justify the ongoing expense.

~

hi ur, doesn't have to be too expensive for new releases ...eg the new Paul kelly album, locally priced pretty well I reckon as is the cd,

15820676873_5887e1d3d1_b.jpg

yes $13 more on vinyl, but worth it I reckon and the $32.99 price for the LP is not too expensive I reckon...yeah sure the CD is cheaper my goodness it is cheap. I seem to have around $30 price for albums I guess for what I see as reasonable. yes sure going for "audiophile pressings" and such your going to pay a lot lot more. but for most music doesn't have to be "too expensive"

ps I guess when venturing as you have, have to take stock look back, see if giving you what were looking for ...

For me, I enjoy all the preparatory effort before I drop the needle - it all builds to the anticipation of those first notes.

...Yes I particularly like the preparatory effort of genty pouring the shiraz into the glass, just prior to needle drop. Or at least I diid -- I am currently between TT's..ha!

Edited by The Fez

This is the best thread I have read in a while and I can relate to the OP's experience 100%. I didn't actually proceed with my TT purchase, although I did buy some records, but the reasons were/are the same as those of the OP.

The idea of vinyl appeals to my core belief in using and enjoying physical media but even though half of my life was spent listening to vinyl, I just couldn't go through building another parallel music collection and I am ( happily ) wedded to SACD and CD as a replay medium. As some of you people may know I am also still somewhat haunted by losing my entire ( sizeable ) vinyl collection to theft about 20 years ago.

What I won't do and never will, is to act as an evangelist for any medium and every music lover has my utmost respect for whatever choice they make, but this thread is cathartic for me and I congratulate the OP for raising the issue and being so honest :)

Edited by rantan

Grew up with TT's and all that goes with it. Then cassettes came along and copied all my records to them . Then CD's turned up and I stored my records but resisted the urge to get rid of them. Now I listen to CD's and digital mainly and on the odd occasion to records. I find CD's adequate for my needs as I find them much more convenient. I can appreciate a record  but I cannot ever ignore the surface noise and the odd pop and crackle. I just think , sure this CD probably does not have the dynamic range (or whatever it is called) but I am not sitting here listening for scratches or dust on the stylus rather than the music. I have heard some wonderful TT's but all the owners are extremely fastidious and take great care to get everything just right. If I want to listen to some music I really don't want to have to buy protractors and scales and RCM's and everything else that you need to get top performance from a TT.

Just an example

Recently I went to a smallish GTG and the host had a magnificent TT that is almost a work of art and an engineering marvel. It sounded sublime and I was blown away. I was blown away again when the host said that when he goes into his man-cave by himself he does not play records as he can't be bothered to get up so often to flip sides. He just plays CD's

I don't even bother going there, it's far too hair-shirt for me.

I don't even bother going there, it's far too hair-shirt for me.

In the early days of audio when it became hi fi, the hair shirt gig was a badge of honour and the UK audio industry embraced this wholeheartedly. The early offerings from the likes of Naim,Mission,Linn and many far less famous others who have since passed into history were the very essence of hair shirt. Japanese amplifiers were frowned upon and one could be ex communicated from the church of audio purists for even looking at an amplifier with tone controls for example.

It's all part of audio evolution which, like the society it exists within, is always changing.

The one constant is the enjoyment of music reproduction and the journey :)

I guess it's one of those thing you either love or hate. After all music is enjoyment, if your not enjoying the experience of the music then you won't listen to it. 

I'm the exact opposite to you, I enjoy vinyl, listen every single afternoon after work for the relaxation it gives me, lets my unwind after working with some well not very happy people. I only have a vinyl setup, no CD's, got rid of them.

So when you sell your system buy something you really like, if thats a better Dac, CD player, Streamer whatever enjoy it.

Now I need to go drop the needle again.

Oh and I'm a mad person as so many vinyl people don't like double albums or 45's as you get 3 songs a side, I seek these albums out as usually the SQ is better. See I don't mind getting up to change sides, I have to get up to change volume as well, none of this remote stuff ;)

This is the best thread I have read in a while and I can relate to the OP's experience 100%. I didn't actually proceed with my TT purchase, although I did buy some records, but the reasons were/are the same as those of the OP.

The idea of vinyl appeals to my core belief in using and enjoying physical media but even though half of my life was spent listening to vinyl, I just couldn't go through building another parallel music collection and I am ( happily ) wedded to SACD and CD as a replay medium. As some of you people may know I am also still somewhat haunted by losing my entire ( sizeable ) vinyl collection to theft about 20 years ago.

What I won't do and never will, is to act as an evangelist for any medium and every music lover has my utmost respect for whatever choice they make, but this thread is cathartic for me and I congratulate the OP for raising the issue and being so honest :)

Well said, Rantan!

Of course I grew up with vinyl.  My parents had 78s which I could and did play on their "gramaphone".  I started with 45s and swiftly graduated to LPs in the early 1960s.  I had a record collection built up over my teens which I lost when I went travelling over the first half of my 20s.  I had another one which I built up in my late 20s - early 30s.  When my (soon to be) wife and I decided to emigrate to Oz in 1983, we both had record collections.  But by that time, "perfect sound forever" had emerged in the form of CDs.  We were not wealthy people at the time and there was only so much we could take with us to Oz.  We decided that our records would not form part of our baggage.

Have we regretted that over the years since then?  Not really.  Is it true that vinyl can sound better than CD (or lossless)?  Yes it is, when the transfer from one medium to the other is butchered - as it was in many cases.

I have considered a move towards vinyl a couple of times over the past three decades.  Decided against it each time.  I must admit to being quite content with the sound of WELL RECORDED music on CD or on lossless formats like FLAC.  I must further admit that for non critical listening - in the car or our caravan for example - MP3 is perfectly adequate.  But all of that is for US - other people's mileage may vary and very often does.

Personally, I will never go back to vinyl for the same reason that I will never go back to film cameras.  It's too much of a hassle, too inconvenient and too expensive.  But I do not have and never will have any issues to those who chose to buy records and (pardon the expression) record players ;) .  And I will happily listen to their records and enjoy the touch of nostalgia which comes from watching the whole process of pulling the platter out of its cover and reverently setting the needle to the groove.  I've been there and done that, though.

Guest Muon

I notice it was 5 hours of use, I'm wondering if once the cart was broken in there would have been more intensive to persist?

I can't say, but it was a thought that crossed my mind just now.

I hate hate hate anyone using "convenience" as an excuse for not doing something worthwhile. It was "convenience' that gave us compressed shitty MP3. Having said that. I understand that the commitment that vinyl requires is not for everyone and that for us old blokes, the ritual of care taken with records comes more naturally than for someone new to the game.

Whatever your choice, enjoy the tunes...always.

M

still dont get the "too expensive bit" my vinyl rig that got me back to records was $2.5k for the whole shebang including a humble rega p25 that blew me away. my CD spinner at the time cost $4k. an equivalent cd spinner these days still costs about the same or more..just as similar vinyl rig still also costs about the same. can spend a lot more on a streaming setup plus dac, computer and the required caboodle etc. etc 

I hate hate hate anyone using "convenience" as an excuse for not doing something worthwhile. It was "convenience' that gave us compressed shitty MP3. Having said that. I understand that the commitment that vinyl requires is not for everyone and that for us old blokes, the ritual of care taken with records comes more naturally than for someone new to the game.

Whatever your choice, enjoy the tunes...always.

M

ripping stuff isn't the most convenient though, and then there are pitfalls of streaming. synching, maintaining album artwork metadata. firmware updates. IP conflicts network drop outs blah blah blah. am format agnostic where move from one to the other depending on occasion or need but I can see a lot of inconvenient things about digital disc forms and streaming as well :)

This is a really good thread,with all responses being worthwhile, honest and open. Format debates are mercifully absent so far and it is all the better for that ;)

This is a really good thread,with all responses being worthwhile, honest and open. Format debates are mercifully absent so far and it is all the better for that ;)

Oh...forgot to add...Digital is crap.... ;)

I find it no effort to play records, in fact it's a joy

However I do think there is one key thing, you need to be some one that listens to albums, if your a music " sampler" then vinyl would be hell.

That also depends on you taste in music as many modern band do not realy produce cohesive albums in the same way that 60s 70s and 80 did

Edited by Chill3

I find it no effort to play records, in fact it's a joy

However I do think there is one key thing, you need to be some one that listens to albums, if your a music " sampler" then vinyl would be hell.

That also depends on you taste in muck as many modern band do not realy produce cohesive albums in the same way that 60s 70s and 80 did

yep if a track flipper ...ie listen to 10 sec of one track skip to the next...listen to 2sec of that and then flip to another album then yeah vinyl would be hell. I remember once at a gtg where someone requested a particular track on an LP. I cued it up...but gee its not the kind of thing I do with my own listening. just put a LP on and listen to the whole side...

digital and streaming for that reason is more convenient to just have on shuffle to juke box your collection...and why I use it for back ground music...like I do with the radio :) vinyl not going to be very convenient for that sort of thing ! 

Exactly right Al, it's about attention spans.

So much more distractions and demands on us, even in our own homes.

I'm the same I cue up my favorite FLAC's on a regular basis, and flick through them, but if I'm spinning vinyl, I start at Side A track 1 and sit back.

Just as previous posters have said, I love the ceremony and discipline of removing the record from the sleeve, cleaning it, setting my TT weight and clamp.

It's all part of the experience then I can kick back while I listen with that record cover in hand, read through the notes and let the visual of the music work it's magic.