:( I have to be honest with myself, and it makes me sad.

…am really wondering about this static maintenance ! why is it such an issue that needs maintenance ?

so am I.   either OP has his turntable set up in his woodworking shed,  or his brushing technique could be improved.      It might be as simple as that. 

If not brushed correctly it's easy to end up with a concentrated line of dust across the record and the result is awful.   You can't simply hold the brush on and lift off,  you need to gradually move out and off the edge of the record.  (or IN according to this vid.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQO4iPJYLwE)

A different brush might also help.   Velvet brushes pick up dirt a lot better than carbon fibre  so sometime I'll do velvet followed by c.fibre. 

OK, mate ... one last thing B4 you sell it all and retreat into the haze that is digital. ;)  You're in Melbourne, so come over for a listen to vinyl - bring your own records.

You can hear what good vinyl sounds like.  Now this 'listen' will have 2 effects:

1. You say ... it's wonderful; I want it and I don't care how much it costs.
  2. Or you say ... yeah, it's nice but doesn't over-rule the simplicity of digital.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Andy

....and If I am allowed to be cynical, could I add another effect:

3. You say ... it's wonderful; but I cannot afford it.....(Andy, you are running a 5k cart, now perhaps 6k due to devalued pesos.... ;))

over thinking it in that case…am really wondering about this static maintenance ! why is it such an issue that needs maintenance ? and dust as mentioned many just don't worry about it. you can make it as simple or complicated as want ! :)

to give an indication with myself, vinyl on platter…use a antistatic carbon fibre brush, ..hold it on the record for a couple of revolutions on the TT to guide of the dust of the record thats it. at 33 1/3 rpm thats probably a grand total of maybe a couple of seconds of my time :)

financial input can understand especially if its another money sucking hobby ...

Last night for example when I got home I put on a record and preceeded to hold the brush down as you explain. That's how I usually do it. I pulld out a bright torch and beamed it accross the face of the record, and I found that the brush didnt actually pick up any dust at all! It just lined it up to where I lifted it. It's a Thorens brush, it's not carbon fibre though... Do carbon fibre brushes PICK UP most of the dust? Or just move it around and spread it out.

It needs to literally pick it up because you cand just brush it off the record, as in, accross the grooves.

Guest yamaha_man

Sorry to hear this, but more importantly!!!! (And what everyone is thinking but afraid to ask)

When's the vinyl sale???? ;)

Edited by yamaha_man

Last night for example when I got home I put on a record and preceeded to hold the brush down as you explain. That's how I usually do it. I pulld out a bright torch and beamed it accross the face of the record, and I found that the brush didnt actually pick up any dust at all! It just lined it up to where I lifted it. It's a Thorens brush, it's not carbon fibre though... Do carbon fibre brushes PICK UP most of the dust? Or just move it around and spread it out.

It needs to literally pick it up because you cand just brush it off the record, as in, accross the grooves.

brushes aint going to pick up dust. you need to move it as per the youtube video…I move it to the outside of the disc…you can see the dust fall off it. I use the same static off carbon fibre brush in the youtube video.

if the brush is as per below, it is a carbon fibre anti static brush. these are generically made and branded.

http://www.roe-hifi.de/en/phono-accessory/care-tools/Thorens-Carbon-antistatik-brush.html

personally still think …your over thinking this. if buying new vinyl its going to have 2/5ths of bugger all dust and a light dust/wipe with the brush is all that is necessary,  :) if buying really old grungy records then probably need a lot more including cleaning with record cleaners etc etc.

3. You say ... it's wonderful; but I cannot afford it.....(Andy, you are running a 5k cart, now perhaps 6k due to devalued pesos.... ;))

think Andy was just planning in good faith to experience how vinyl can sound. just his system as it is. no one likely be able to buy his home brewed TT off the shelf in any case. if he had a $2k rig as per the OP am sure he would still invite over. sometimes its a good idea when getting into something new to experience with some whom been doing it a while…something to gain…nothing to loose is way I see it. and why gtg's are always such great things :)

• Like 1

3. You say ... it's wonderful; but I cannot afford it.....(Andy, you are running a 5k cart, now perhaps 6k due to devalued pesos.... ;) )

Haha, Pulinap. ;)  I'm just behaving like a friendly neighbourhood pusher, trying to get the OP hooked on the Dark Side! :lol:  (Do ice addicts ever say "it's wonderful; but I can't afford it"? Naah - once they experience the pleasure, they get right into it!)

andy

• Like 2

Haha, Pulinap. ;)  I'm just behaving like a friendly neighbourhood pusher, trying to get the OP hooked on the Dark Side! :lol:  (Do ice addicts ever say "it's wonderful; but I can't afford it"? Naah - once they experience the pleasure, they get right into it!)

andy

........and I'll take on that invite any time........... ;) and will bring a long a nice bottle of red too..... :)

think Andy was just planning in good faith to experience how vinyl can sound. just his system as it is. no one likely be able to buy his home brewed TT off the shelf in any case. if he had a $2k rig as per the OP am sure he would still invite over. sometimes its a good idea when getting into something new to experience with some whom been doing it a while…something to gain…nothing to loose is way I see it. and why gtg's are always such great things :)

That was my intention. I was looking forward to someone with lots of experience to come over, have a bite and drink on me and sit down to a good old listen. Tell me what I'm doing wrong if anything, what I can do to enhance my experience. Maybe give me some pointers on the basics, after all, I've never handled a record until recently so I'm sure I could take some pointers. But I got no bites! I understand that people wouldn't want to drop everything and come running for some bloke they don't know.

You're all starting to make me reconsider after sleeping on it overnight. Damn you all.

• Like 1

Manchu mentioned this earlier and its a good point - a velvet brush works perfectly for picking up the stray dust and I use one regularly before plays. Perhaps a local sna'er can lend you one to test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my intention. I was looking forward to someone with lots of experience to come over, have a bite and drink on me and sit down to a good old listen. Tell me what I'm doing wrong if anything, what I can do to enhance my experience. Maybe give me some pointers on the basics, after all, I've never handled a record until recently so I'm sure I could take some pointers.

Sorry to hear about that mate. I did read that post and would have been delighted to drop over if I was in Melbourne, but Adelaide is too much of a stretch for a GTG.  All I will say is to trust your instinct and I hope this thread is supportive of your choice

I am not a fan of the velvet brushes, as while they may do be6tter with dust :unsure: the carbon fiber brush will neutralize some static at the same time...or this is what I found.

The way It's done is critical, many folk put too much downward pressure on the brush, we need the bristles tips to run the grooves without too much flex. After the couple of rotations exit the record at a 45 degree angle and off the edge flicking the dust off the edge in that movement.

That was my intention. I was looking forward to someone with lots of experience to come over, have a bite and drink on me and sit down to a good old listen. Tell me what I'm doing wrong if anything, what I can do to enhance my experience. Maybe give me some pointers on the basics, after all, I've never handled a record until recently so I'm sure I could take some pointers. But I got no bites! I understand that people wouldn't want to drop everything and come running for some bloke they don't know.

You're all starting to make me reconsider after sleeping on it overnight. Damn you all.

If there's one thing that's certain in this world it's that Melbourne SNA'ers love a GTG! If your mind isn't completely made up, why not start a thread for a small GTG (a few beers and some vin rouge are useful selling points) and I'm sure you'll have some of our vinyl aficionados quickly signing up! 

I am not a fan of the velvet brushes, as while they may do be6tter with dust :unsure: the carbon fiber brush will neutralize some static at the same time...or this is what I found.

The way It's done is critical, many folk put too much downward pressure on the brush, we need the bristles tips to run the grooves without too much flex. After the couple of rotations exit the record at a 45 degree angle and off the edge flicking the dust off the edge in that movement.

Its a good point and I use a carbon fibre brush and an earthed carbon fibre 'dust-bug' to eliminate the static. But for dust removal, I prefer the velvet.

Edited by Hensa

I get the dust in a line then use the vacuum with the brush on it.

Maybe I should watch the you tube video

Just tried the you tube way and it seemed to work, except it doesn't

take much pressure to stop the rotation.

Need more power!

Edited by Tony ray

Its a good point and I use a carbon fibre brush and an earthed carbon fibre 'dust-bug' to eliminate the static. But for dust removal, I prefer the velvet.

Damn!

Greg, does that mean I need to pull the dust bug out of moth balls, the thing that bugs me with these is I can hear the thing dragging on the record before I drop the arm :(

Yeah, the velvet does do better with dust alone.

Edit: Oh, a grounded dust bug, haven't seen one of those.

Edited by ortofun

Damn!

Greg, does that mean I need to pull the dust bug out of moth balls, the thing that bugs me with these is I can hear the thing dragging on the record before I drop the arm :(

Yeah, the velvet does do better with dust alone.

Edit: Oh, a grounded dust bug, haven't seen one of those.

I must admit I've never heard any sound at all from the dust bug. In terms of it being earthed, it looks the same as the old style dust bugs but has a wire from the brush head which is connected to the phono pre's earth terminal. It cured all static propensity for me and only cost $25 or thereabouts.

Edit: Here's something similar:

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/Antistatic-Record-Cleaning-Arm-p/tac-01.htm

Edited by Hensa

This is a hobby it's supposed to be fun.

[ snip! ]

What sub woofer will you buy?

If this does all eventuate in the sale of my gear, I'd like to add another 12" Ascension 1230ETL sub. That, or a new rifle (  my other hobby  ;)   )

If there's one thing that's certain in this world it's that Melbourne SNA'ers love a GTG! If your mind isn't completely made up, why not start a thread for a small GTG (a few beers and some vin rouge are useful selling points) and I'm sure you'll have some of our vinyl aficionados quickly signing up! 

Hmm...   :hiccup

I must admit I've never heard any sound at all from the dust bug. In terms of it being earthed, it looks the same as the old style dust bugs but has a wire from the brush head which is connected to the phono pre's earth terminal. It cured all static propensity for me and only cost $25 or thereabouts.

Edit: Here's something similar:

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/Antistatic-Record-Cleaning-Arm-p/tac-01.htm

That's probably better than the one i have, but i do hear a shhhhhh sound from the bug on the record, not through the speakers but from the contact with the record, only before I drop the arm.

post-105164-0-02923100-1423103907_thumb.

It does It's job though and picks up dust even though I use the carbon brush too.

Edit: Damn, after seeing how much dust it had collected from last time I'll leave it on for the moment....

Edited by ortofun

missed your thread completely otherwise would have been happy to help out. was it posted in the gtg sub forum ? another alternative is to pop in that sub forum and get yourself across to a few gtgs that might be being organised  :) as I said earlier nothing to be lost :)

• Like 1

missed your thread completely otherwise would have been happy to help out. was it posted in the gtg sub forum ? another alternative is to pop in that sub forum and get yourself across to a few gtgs that might be being organised   :) as I said earlier nothing to be lost :)

...or could have done through PMs.

When I first ventured in to deep end (setting the tonearm and cart for the first time) I bombarded fellow SNA members with PMs quite few times......and even sent crude sketches to Michael Fremer asking really stupid questions...! :D

Fortunately, they all replied with valuable insight and tips....including Fremer.... :P (I think Fremer felt sorry for me....... :D)

Furthermore, some SNA member actually dropped by to fix few teething problems I was having with my Graham tonearm...... :thumb:

• Like 1

...or could have done through PMs.

When I first ventured in to deep end (setting the tonearm and cart for the first time) I bombarded fellow SNA members with PMs quite few times......and even sent crude sketches to Michael Fremer asking really stupid questions...! :D

Fortunately, they all replied with valuable insight and tips....including Fremer.... :P (I think Fremer felt sorry for me....... :D)

Furthermore, some SNA member actually dropped by to fix few teething problems I was having with my Graham tonearm...... :thumb:

i had a chat with Fremer via email once, he is very passionate about this stuff. Very approachable too as I didn't really expect him to bother with a pleb like me :)

That's probably better than the one i have, but i do hear a shhhhhh sound from the bug on the record, not through the speakers but from the contact with the record, only before I drop the arm.

attachicon.gif20150205_123127.jpg

It does It's job though and picks up dust even though I use the carbon brush too.

Edit: Damn, after seeing how much dust it had collected from last time I'll leave it on for the moment....

Glad to see someone else has the same cart as I do! I'm quite pleased with it after it was properly adjusted here in WA.

Alberto