:( I have to be honest with myself, and it makes me sad.

ripping stuff isn't the most convenient though, and then there are pitfalls of streaming. synching, maintaining album artwork metadata. firmware updates. IP conflicts network drop outs blah blah blah. am format agnostic where move from one to the other depending on occasion or need but I can see a lot of inconvenient things about digital disc forms and streaming as well :)

Gets me too this one, I had to choose one way or the other and cost was a primary concern.

My front end totals $1500, granted the table was secondhand and well priced and the phono stage is someones diy type and had me pulling hair once or twice :)

Edit: spelling

Edited by ortofun

I can relate to the op. My turntable and I haven't been on talking terms for a couple of years now. Each time I tried to play a record the same issues would reoccur, I'd get frustrated and annoyed with it all and go back to CD. I am reluctant to abandon vinyl altogether as I know good it can sound. So this year I'm going to make a concerted effort to mend the relationship with the turntable or next year it goes.

Wow, great convo people. 

I've literally been down today, all day at work I've been a little depressed. Reason being, is I wanted to love Vinyl and embrace it and invest all my money into it because of how "real" and tangible it is. I Love getting the record out of it's sleeve too. I love placing it on the platter and I'm obsessed with how slowly and controlled the tonearm drops the stylus down. I love the thud that it produced on contact, and believe it or not, i love the first bits of snap crackle and pop. But is it worth it?

Sometimes though, things just don't work out.

For ME, I realised that I get the exact same musical enjoyment from streaming from my Yamaha app on my phone (i know, right?!). So (to me) why should I put up with the dust, the static, the ridiculous pricing of good records, the slight buzz, getting up all the time. Obviously, I'm not an audiophile by definition. When I told my wife I was selling up, she was absolutely shocked, and exclaimed, "What??!! But you LOVE that thing!!" 

A few weeks ago, when I first started feeling this way, I put a thread up inviting people here to come round and have a listen. I thought maybe I was doing it completely wrong. Maybe there was an easy fix to the constant static and how to actually get the friggen dust OFF the record rather than just smear it around and gather it up in a line on a radius section of the record, and why in the name of Sirius is there so much of the stuff anyway???

Anyway, no one was keen so that's ok.

I'm angry with Vinyl. 

I'm angry with vinyl and with myself for not falling in love with each other like I thought we would.  So I just put on The XX - Coexist, it's a 320kb Mp3, yeah-aha, and it's cranked and I'm mother fuckin lovin' it, and so are my neighbours. 

• Like 1

OK, mate ... one last thing B4 you sell it all and retreat into the haze that is digital. ;)  You're in Melbourne, so come over for a listen to vinyl - bring your own records.

You can hear what good vinyl sounds like.  Now this 'listen' will have 2 effects:

1. You say ... it's wonderful; I want it and I don't care how much it costs.
  2. Or you say ... yeah, it's nice but doesn't over-rule the simplicity of digital.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Andy

• Like 3

~

A few weeks ago, when I first started feeling this way, I put a thread up inviting people here to come round and have a listen. I thought maybe I was doing it completely wrong. Maybe there was an easy fix to the constant static and how to actually get the friggen dust OFF the record rather than just smear it around and gather it up in a line on a radius section of the record, and why in the name of Sirius is there so much of the stuff anyway???

I'm angry with Vinyl. 

I'm angry with vinyl and with myself for not falling in love with each other like I thought we would.  So I just put on The XX - Coexist, it's a 320kb Mp3, yeah-aha, and it's cranked and I'm mother fuckin lovin' it, and so are my neighbours. 

pity I missed that thread...pity you are angry...there is no sense in being angry about this stuff...but hey you are now happy ... :)

The issue is about what are the non-negotiable features you are looking for in the hobby. If convenience features high on the list, then vinyl is not for you. No point fighting it. You will never get the best out of vinyl with convenience being a consideration.

URHYNS im jelous of your setup, that tt looks so nice and the ascension speakers must be very nice, ive met edward a few times now but just have never had the cash to buy some speakers from him. Ive spent a total of like $800 on my setup and cant wait to upgrade, like others have said try to give it another go and let the cartridge change a little

This is a hobby it's supposed to be fun.

If you don't like the idea of 1 portion of the hobby you don't have to enter that quadrant .

You can enjoy jogging and never attempt a marathon

You can train over 10k and decide the marathon isn't you

No need for angst.

Reserve the angst for if you forget the music for the gear.

If you do attempt something and don't enjoy it then you have learnt something about yourself

It doesnt have to be persevered with -let it go cos the deeper you go the more expensive it gets.

What sub woofer will you buy?

• Like 4

I expected this to happen .........  

That's why I wrote the following on the thread you had started earlier regarding advice on buying your TT

If I was in your place I would get a good 2 channel amp with a HT bypass and a built in phono stage for around a $1000 and spend the rest on the turntable. Getting a 2K TT and running it through a mid level HT amp is not going to do it any favours. 

If you are ok with 2nd hand, any of the ebay listings for TT are great. If looking at new I suggest something like a Rega as they can be progressively upgraded if required. 

Vinyl is a BIG pain in the butt ....... but it is worth it in most cases.

The most important thing in hi fi is system synergy. A good source is only part of the equation.

I still feel your HT amp is going to be a bottleneck in you enjoying better 2 channel.  

Anyway ... enjoy the journey

• Like 2

I agree with DJB. There isn't any need for soul searching or conforming to any type of peer opinion. You tried it, it did not suit your purpose so best to move on and spend the cash on a better streamer perhaps. That would retain your usage preferences and also give you a huge boost in sound quality.

Forums like this are overwhelmingly friendly and helpful, however you should never feel as though you need to conform to any school of thought or preference. Always remember that the hardware should be the servant of the music and you, not the other way around. :)

• Like 3

hi ur, doesn't have to be too expensive for new releases ...eg the new Paul kelly album, locally priced pretty well I reckon as is the cd,

15820676873_5887e1d3d1_b.jpg

yes $13 more on vinyl, but worth it I reckon and the $32.99 price for the LP is not too expensive I reckon...yeah sure the CD is cheaper my goodness it is cheap. I seem to have around $30 price for albums I guess for what I see as reasonable. yes sure going for "audiophile pressings" and such your going to pay a lot lot more. but for most music doesn't have to be "too expensive"

ps I guess when venturing as you have, have to take stock look back, see if giving you what were looking for ...

Some albums you get free MP3 and WAV FLAC download with the vinyl purchase, so you get both, I think it's a bargain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

... this thread is bound to attract some advice to clean your records less, simplify your routine, or even buy some new gear or component that helps out. What you gonna do? Follow your own heart, I say

You can hear what good vinyl sounds like.  Now this 'listen' will have 2 effects:

1. You say ... it's wonderful; I want it and I don't care how much it costs.
  2. Or you say ... yeah, it's nice but doesn't over-rule the simplicity of digital.

See what I mean? :)  Very kind of Andy though.

BTW, if you go to someone's house you will *mostly* be listening to their room and speakers. Just a little thing to note.

See what I mean? :)  Very kind of Andy though.

BTW, if you go to someone's house you will *mostly* be listening to their room and speakers. Just a little thing to note.

Very kind indeed but I am sure the OP has stated his reasons for the decision he made and hearing someone else's room, cables and speakers won't tell you anything other than the fact that Andy probably has a really nice sounding system that the OP could not replicate even if he wanted to do so.

With vinyl you've got to love the process. Sure you can slap it on and drop the needle,but if you invest a bit of love you will be rewarded.It all becomes second nature after a while anyway,and think of the 6 pack you're building with all that getting up every 20 mins.

That's why I wrote the following on the thread you had started earlier regarding advice on buying your TT

The most important thing in hi fi is system synergy. A good source is only part of the equation.

I still feel your HT amp is going to be a bottleneck in you enjoying better 2 channel.  

pity I missed that thread back in dec, think I was too busy upto armpits in renovations or would have chimed in to support your post, here in lies he issue I would be almost 100% convinced. a $1k yamaha avr and a $2k turntable. I wouldn't have done that. there were posts there suggesting a 2ch integrated with ht bypass but were passed over. the key with analog is the signal path. I can't imagine that AVR doing it any justice at all ! 

but at end of it a purchase was made and the OP is moving on…it is what it is...

I grew up with vinyl, and I don't 'sample' listen, when I have music on 90% is from track 1 to the end of the album without missing a beat - but vinyl just doesn't really grab me, it's digital that I love to listen to...but that's me.  I've looked closely at vinyl over the last couple of years, but I really don't think it's for me...

You like what you like.  It's a good thing you've discovered that vinyl isn't for you, it should give you a greater appreciation of your digital set-up.  Just don't lose the love for music...  ;)

Wow, great convo people. 

I've literally been down today, all day at work I've been a little depressed. Reason being, is I wanted to love Vinyl and embrace it and invest all my money into it because of how "real" and tangible it is. I Love getting the record out of it's sleeve too. I love placing it on the platter and I'm obsessed with how slowly and controlled the tonearm drops the stylus down. I love the thud that it produced on contact, and believe it or not, i love the first bits of snap crackle and pop. But is it worth it?

Sometimes though, things just don't work out.

For ME, I realised that I get the exact same musical enjoyment from streaming from my Yamaha app on my phone (i know, right?!). So (to me) why should I put up with the dust, the static, the ridiculous pricing of good records, the slight buzz, getting up all the time. Obviously, I'm not an audiophile by definition. When I told my wife I was selling up, she was absolutely shocked, and exclaimed, "What??!! But you LOVE that thing!!" 

I'm angry with Vinyl. 

I feel your pain, all my life I wanted to own a Jaguar, then I bought one......

After spending months and a motza restoring a mk II 3.8 manual Wire wheels BRG etc etc I had my heart ripped from my chest and ground into the dirt.

Be careful what you wish for!!

• Like 1

My setup is not pretty, Rega RP1 , Yamaha RX-V1 phono input and Paradigm SE 3 speakers but I love it.

Sure it does not sound like the airforce 1 setup by Pure music group at the  A/V show last October

but it sounds good enough to enjoy the music.

Also I have noticed older records do not seem to have as many filler songs.

Second hand records are around 10 bucks each and its fun scouring for them then wash em in the sink and away you go.

My pointy is it does not have to cost a fortune.

It's not about the sound. I'm happy with the sound as it is, it's the constant dust and static maintenance and ongoing financial input that has me thinking twice. This isn't my only hobby. Edited by URHYNS

It's not about the sound. I'm happy with the sound as it is, it's the constant dust and static maintenance and ongoing financial input that has me thinking twice. This isn't my only hobby.

over thinking it in that case…am really wondering about this static maintenance ! why is it such an issue that needs maintenance ? and dust as mentioned many just don't worry about it. you can make it as simple or complicated as want ! :)

to give an indication with myself, vinyl on platter…use a antistatic carbon fibre brush, ..hold it on the record for a couple of revolutions on the TT to guide of the dust of the record thats it. at 33 1/3 rpm thats probably a grand total of maybe a couple of seconds of my time :)

financial input can understand especially if its another money sucking hobby ...

Maybe your setup was too good. You should have started with a dusty old shed find to get some appreciation for the technical wonderment that is a TT

I think thats a big part of vinyl enjoyment for me. Theres a needle sitting at the end of an arm that tracks around this big disc and we can all see it happening, then all of sudden there is CD quality music. 

Dont take "CD quality" as a bad thing, but the ability to get something that clear out of something mechanical always amazes me. CDs and digital are just magic mumbo jumbo and im happy to not know whats going on, TT's however are just great to watch happen.

I still think the old Dual 1019 that i picked up from a local showed the biggest difference between vinyl and digital. So maybe dont sell your records, just downgrade to a shed find

• Like 1