:( I have to be honest with myself, and it makes me sad.

Ahoy,

For a while, I lusted over turntables and the idea of Vinyl. I did a fair bit of reading and research, along with taking the advice of this forum and jumped in with a solid entry level set up, seen here: http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/75990-my-first-turntable-set-up-pro-ject/

Consists of:

- Pro-Ject 1xPression Carbon Classic Mahogany with Ortofon 2M Silver Cart.

- Rega Fono Phono Stage

- Chord Crimson VEE3 Interconnects

- Anti-Static spray, Dust brush, stylus brush

So, the reason I'm sad is that after purchasing and listening to a wide variety of vinyl, I've come to feel a great deal of buyers remorse. I don't think this direction is for me. I can't look past the constant dust maintenance, static, and what I deem to be a bit of an inconvenience having to get up and flip sides all the time. These are things no one could have made me listen to before purchasing, but aspects of the medium I don't really want to live with.

I believe I fell in love with the idea of the romance of vinyl and turntables, but in practise, I have to be honest to myself and reluctantly admit that it's not for me. I was happy enough with FLAC streaming direct through my receiver, and have still been using that method since aquiring the TT.

So I'm thinking about cutting my losses, selling my setup and vinyl collected so far, and investing the money in a second subwoofer instead...

Elyas

Edited by URHYNS
  • Like 16

Spot on !

All the "romance" of vinyl can soon wear off when reality sets in. It's not new and romantic for me as I grew up through the era when LP records were the SOTA in home audio.

I still use my vinyl setup but mostly for digitising my record collection.

• Like 1

Ahoy,

For a while, I lusted over turntables and the idea of Vinyl. I did a fair bit of reading and research, along with taking the advice of this forum and jumped in with a solid entry level set up, seen here: http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/75990-my-first-turntable-set-up-pro-ject/

Consists of:

- Rega Fono Phono Stage

So, the reason I'm sad is that after purchasing and listening to a wide variety of vinyl, I've come to feel a great deal of buyers remorse. I don't think this direction is for me. I can't look past the constant dust maintenance, static, and what I deem to be a bit of an inconvenience having to get up and flip sides all the time. These are things no one could have made me listen to before purchasing, but aspects of the medium I don't really want to live with.

I believe I fell in love with the idea of the romance of vinyl and turntables, but in practise, I have to be honest to myself and reluctantly admit that it's not for me. I was happy enough with FLAC streaming direct through my receiver, and have still been using that method since aquiring the TT.

So I'm thinking about cutting my losses, selling my setup and vinyl collected so far, and investing the money in a second subwoofer instead...

Elyas

Very sad to hear, Elyas. :(  I agree that all the things you have to do with vinyl make it a complete PITA (and you didn't even mention cleaning LPs - which IMO is the biggest pain of all! :lol: ).  But when I want to sit down and let the music wash over me to recharge my spirits ... I listen to LPs! ;)   Mind you, this is typically only a few hours a week - whereas I listen to my tuner for several hours a day!

Good luck with the sale.

Andy

• Like 2

See im the complete opposite if im just after aome background noise ill just chuck some music on through the pc. I enjoy the whole experience of getting the vinyl out of the cover and placeing it on the tt, dusting it of and giving the stylus a clean, watching it spin around as the music plays, and im only new to it aswell

• Like 12

Exactly as Spyne says, it's horses for courses and if the ritual that is the vinyl world (cleaning records, flipping at the end of a side and so on) doesn't work for you, no one can say you didn't at least try it. For me, I enjoy all the preparatory effort before I drop the needle - it all builds to the anticipation of those first notes.

Good luck to you on your journey!

Edited by Hensa

There is a lot of rock n roll, romance around vinyl .I grew up with it and see a gate fold sleeve ,poster etc as part of the package  and if it is released on that form that is how I like to have it. I also enjoy sliding the record out of the sleeve and placing it on the TT. But a lot of what I have on Vinyl  I also have on CD, for its convenience and I am not totally wedded to the argument that one has much better sound than the other. The most important thing is the music and as long as you are still enjoining it, in some format, that is the main thing. Although purely having downloaded files and nothing tangible I can hold in my hand would be a step too far for me.   

Can I have your TT

Edited by EVcali
  • Like 1

I can somewhat relate as I've also been re-evaluating lately,  but for different reasons.   I'm fine with PITA aspects of playing vinyl,  but my 18month old boy is now tall enough to reach my records and seems to like nothing more than pulling them out and scattering all over the floor.     I might take a sabbatical rather than sell up though. 

Ahoy,

Consists of:

- Rega Fono Phono Stage

Elyas

sad to hear mention of anti static and dust maintenance and all that sounds a bit of over kill. if just want pull a LP out the sleeve plnk on the platter and drop the needle and you have tunes. you don't HAVE to go through any rituals and stuff. its just what most fanatics go to lengths too :)

but yeah if can't be bothered flipping sides and other aspects not really grabbing you then move on...

another sub ? now that could be a waste too…  there is a fair bit in the setup and for many not located and setup right integrated right with the other sub, system and room will give little to no gains…intact could be just money down the tube and could even be a back ward step :)

Hi

There is one factor that many overlook, and that is, if you are brought up playing LP's from an early age, and are used to doing all of the things that you say are the reason for your sale, then it is not a problem, if you were brought up playing CD's then you have a different perspective, and now with downloading music, playing CD's may to some have the same perspective ....

JJ 

I've got a pretty decent vinyl setup that i would listen to, maybe twice a month. However, when i do listen, i listen for hours on end.

Id sell it all but i've got some great albums on vinyl and i do love dragging them out every now and then. There's not much difference in quality compared to the Rega Saturn anyway

• Like 1

95% of my listening is via vinyl for the following reasons:

• Skiping tracks is not a simple press of a button so somewhat forces the listener to go on a journey by listening to the entire album.
  • I actiually find it more convienient to use than my squeezbox as it never gives me "unable to connect to server" or other related errors. Just get the platter spinning and drop that needle!
  • Like the large format artwork etc.
  • Changing sides every 20mins allows me to top up my glass :hiccup

However as your aware jumping into the world of vinyl can be a massive undertaking and an excercise in frustration and heartache. Getting your head around the setup and the million variables that come into play can easilly be a turn off before you even start. Then there is the the real estate required to store a large collection, the crap shoot of buying vinyl and its easy to see whe allure of digital playback.

Go with what ever format that allows you the maximum enjoyment of music. Be it via headphones, speakers, analog or digital.

• Like 9

Just another story to show the amazing way this hobby gives us each a personal path to follow. 'There's a hifi for everyone, but no one hifi for everyone'.

Part of the 'back room' experience of this hobby (the front room is the listening-to-music experience) is all the advice we receive, and hearing all the raving reports and reviews of listening impressions etc. These tend to influence us a lot -- it's natural.

It's easy to be more driven (in terms of our gear purchases and music purchases) by our back room experiences than our front room experiences. It takes a bit of confidence and experience to make it the other way around. For example, this thread is bound to attract some advice to clean your records less, simplify your routine, or even buy some new gear or component that helps out. What you gonna do? Follow your own heart, I say, read less love stories. :) 

• Like 2

Get rid of it, if it doesn't gladden the heart every time you turn it on its not for you, most of us vinyl tragics grew up with vinyl anyway.

its a very good point. myself grew up with vinyl and though walked away from it when CD landed...soon found myself back enjoying its seductiveness ...but for those never grew up with it and used to only other forms of media...they might be hard to get away from...

...curiously my 6 year old daughter whom hasn't grown up with any particular media...we run everything here from the radio, TV, CDs, DVDA's, SACD's, iTunes on various forms of devices in the house and out...anytime she wants me to put some music on ...its a record she will go and pick from ...she re arranged my record collection over christmas...cant find anything now :D

• Like 2

I grew up with records as well and inherited my parents record collection but they sat idle for 15 yrs

2yrs ago bought a record player and love listening to records I have not heard for 20yrs or more.

Ended up swiping the father in laws collection as well so now have about 200 LPs

I would hate to start from scratch but singers like Johnny Cash don't sound right on CD.

• Like 2

I grew up with records as well and inherited my parents record collection but they sat idle for 15 yrs

2yrs ago bought a record player and love listening to records I have not heard for 20yrs or more.

Ended up swiping the father in laws collection as well so now have about 200 LPs

I would hate to start from scratch but singers like Johnny Cash don't sound right on CD.

my goodness sounds very much like my vinyl experience :)

our vinyl collection also sat idle a decade...and I coveted my parents collection...rather than see it go unplayed :)

definitely there a lot of music I feel really does belong on vinyl....

• Like 1

To me it is the ritual that takes place when you put a record on, Digital convenience runs a second place for me, you also get the art with the music with a a lot of records along with the fact i listen to the whole side of the album and not just jump around from one track to another in a  digital library.

• Like 1

and it's up...http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/77757-turntable-package-pro-ject-1xpression-carbon-classic-rega-phono-accessories/

While I do understand and respect your change of heart I can't help but feel you didn't really give it a chance.   5hrs of use over the 1-2 months of ownership!       

Of course FLAC streaming is more convenient,  but I think you're gripes with vinyl are being blown out of proportion a little.  In fact given decent chance you might soon find the gripes become strangely enjoyable.   I like that I'm somewhat forced to listen to whole sides of an album and then flip,  because I think it keeps me more involved in the listening.   

Dust/Static/Cleaning aren't that big a deal most of the time.    It takes just a few seconds to run a brush over.   I think the key here is to learn to live with the odd crackle and not expect or seek the 'perfection' you're used to with digital.     I might be weird, but I find that the few seconds of 'not quite silence' between lowering the arm and the track coming in adds something quite enjoyable,  compared to pressing a button and being instantly confronted.

GLWTS,  but I reckon you should and least give your rig another solid session or two twenty before pulling the pin.  

Edited by manchu