Can a DIY amp sound so good?

Hi Andy- and others.

I've never done a phono stage, but the Teflon mounting and no op- amps (hate 'em!) method would sound very nice indeed. Of course shielding and grounding would be a big issue with a phono pre.

My main source is a rather old school Philips CD620 c.d. player which has been re capped and modified to run in non- oversampling mode and sounds remarkably analog -ish despite having some of the dreaded op- amp devices lurking inside.

Now if some raving genius diy- er could come up with an all discrete component dac that used absolutely no i.c.'s, that would be really something- especially if it were hard wired.

But then it would probably be the size of a small bar 'fridge! :blink: 

Yes, Hugh Dean's latest offerings are rather nice, and as good as it can get with pcb mounted designs. Hugh has in the past generously given me (un-stuffed, of course!) many of his circuit boards to try out when he had come up with a new design, and very nice they sounded too.

Naturally, I still prefer my Quasimodo design but of course I would have to say that as it's my baby, after all. Hugh has heard the Quasimodo several times when he drops in to pay the occasional visit, and he rather likes it, but then he has given a fair amount of input into its design philosophy.

I did play a small part in his original AKSA 55 design, so we do swap ideas sometimes.

Let's not forget that some of the "big names" in audio started out as mad diy- ers, such as guys like Saul Marantz  and Paul Klipsh etc, so keep on building and experimenting all you solder junkies and you may come up with something really special- it's great fun :thumb:

Now I'm off to finish tweaking up a Luxman L114a

Cheers.

• Like 1

Also with DIY amps you can try interesting ideas like this one (warning - opamps and ICs) :

quote:

The Modulus-86 is a composite amplifier. When implemented correctly, the performance of a composite amplifier is dominated by that of the controlling op-amp. This allows for the implementation of a high-performance chipamp-based amplifier with vanishingly low THD and phenomenal sound quality.

http://www.neurochrome.com/audio/?page_id=1092

• 3 weeks later...

thimmy118,

What is your friend's name?  And please provide pictures of said DIY amp.

Forgive me if I exaggerate but this could be one of the best diy amps in the world or maybe not.  When I have the money and somebody to build it for me.  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/262273-modulus-86-composite-amplifier-achieving-0-0004-thd-n.html

• Like 1

Hi xsb7244

He has decided to sell the amp but is happy to build another one on request. I have no commercial interest in his products just a hobbyist and part time audiophile (not quite retired yet) so here is the link to the amp that I was really impressed with which he is currently selling on Gumtree. All I can say is that it is an incredibly sounding amp.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/westminster/audio/diy-clone-amplifier-build/1072053674

Note - If this post contravenes Stereo.net posting rules, the administrator has my permission to remove the post.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Peter the Greek

Very interesting thread. Only in the last few days have I been thinking about DIY amps. I figure if I can pull off decent speaker builds how hard can an amp possibly be :)

Its a cost v performance thing. Either in my current room or a possible new room I am going to need around 26 channels of amplification (excluding those for subs) so perhaps a massive bank of DIY would work.

The HPA stuff looks interesting. I have a mate who can build anything from any type of steel so the chassis bit is covered.

Most interesting this stuff, I'd never considered it really.....hmm the DIY bug is biting hard!