Sansui Amps Owners & Discussion Thread

Me too mate, me too.

Technically I don't have the remote yet, I have a remote but I'm not sure it will work.  However it is a big internet out there so there is always hope of finding an original remote.  If not, a Harmony may just find its way onto my shopping list.

• Like 1

I have a spare (Minty Condition) Logitech 650 that told me it likes Sansui's

Yours if you want ? Let me know.

Hahaha, just went and dug it up. Still has the plastic protector strips on it :)

Edited by huxmut
  • Like 1

Going through a few files and found this pic from a time ago..Sansui CA-F1 preamp, sitting on the Yamaha M-4 power amp I had back then.

They really look like a matching set, the Sansui was exactly the same width as the Yammy. Nice sounding pre too from memory, very nicely done small volume control operation also.  

Picture 021.jpg

• Like 4

Yep, a definite rarity.  A 120/220/240 volt Sansui with both a built in DAC and a remote volume control.  I'm planning on doing a little DAC A/B-ing this evening, just for the heck of it.

The current remote that I have for the 917XR cd player doesn't work with it, but there seems to be an original remote on Yahoo so we'll see what we can see in the days to come.

Edited by Cafad
  • Like 1

WooHoo !

Any initial thoughts on the sound signature Cafad ?

All these monster amps ... Your accountant must be thinking you've picked up a drug addiction :)

1 hour ago, Cafad said:

Purty isn't it?

It has that Big Black Labrador wagging it's tail looks.....

You know it's friendly, but when called it has one hell of a bite :)

I really like the simple addition of the sampling frequency LED's too, simple but telling.

Very nice mate!

Aside from the DAC and remote, the amplifier and preamp sections are the same as my AU-X711.

I originally found the 711 to be a little sluggish and less defined when compared to my 607MRX, but after some careful tweaks, I felt that it sounded better overall than the MRX.

10 minutes ago, huxmut said:

It has that Big Black Labrador wagging it's tail looks.....

:)  I agree, so happy, so loyal.

The DAC is interesting, there is more light vibration in the treble that the DAC in my YBA obviously filters out.  Vocals are excellent, can't really pick a difference between the Sansui and the YBA there.  Stereo separation is good but the 3D soundstage feels fairly under developed.

It took some time to warm up too, but I was expecting that.  It took some time for the bass to get serious, but get serious it did.  

An added bonus is that my TV seems to output its digital sound, via optical, in 48khz, which the 911 is happy to pick up.  I wasn't sure I could get away with that, but it seems I can.  Serious bonus!

6 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

Very nice mate!

Aside from the DAC and remote, the amplifier and preamp sections are the same as my AU-X711.

I originally found the 711 to be a little sluggish and less defined when compared to my 607MRX, but after some careful tweaks, I felt that it sounded better overall than the MRX.

Tweaks you say?  Now that sounds like an idea.

• Like 2

I've just read over Pete_mac's posts on the tweaks he applied to his AU-X711 and I think they may be beyond my abilities as a circuit board stripper/rebuilder and a put-back-together-er.  The taking apart bit I'm certain I could handle but that seems like a not so great thing without being able to reverse the process again.  

On the up side the 911DG is in great nick, I detect only a slightly scratchy sound from the left channel when the source direct switch is set to 'off' and that is likely just an oxidized switch, all the alphas seem to suffer from those so a clean will sort that out.  So I probably have the time to develop my DIY skills before embarking on any of the more complicated tweaks.

It may be time to alter direction a little in this hobby of mine. 

I never did finish reading my copy of "Electronics for Dummies", there could be something interesting in the last two thirds of it.

• Like 2

Listening to the AU-X911DG I'm reminded about just how much I love the take that Sansui has on music.  Their amps just come across as honest and natural.  I feel I can hear all of each note, from the initial tap/hit/strike/pluck through into the middle of the note (which is the bit that most people seem to appreciate) and then on to the decay away into nothingness.  None of this 3 step journey through each note feels forced or artificially enhanced or modified, it just feels like 3 steps of tonal satisfaction every single time.

Many amps seem to put their own spin on this, some emphasize speed so they step up the focus on the beginning of each note so you get to the middle faster and they then often fade away faster too.  This often has the effect of giving a pumped-up sound that seems more exciting initially but can get pretty boring on extended listening.  

Some try to dampen down on all extraneous noise so that the beginning and ending of each note are hard to detect and all you can hear is the middle (and often even that is muffled).  These amps sound dull, lifeless and murky to me, I place the Onkyo 9070 in this class.

Some try to soften both the beginning and end with a personality trait, like warmth or an overly rich or lush approach.  This can work OK, it generally isn't my beverage of choice but I can see why so many people seem to like it, it is certainly much more preferential to either of the above choices.

Most amps try to apply some measure of these methods above to at least part of the frequency range, dampening down the treble, softening or speeding up the bass, adding a little lush sexiness to the mid range.  Some of them manage a good mix, some don't, but for my money it is rare to find a company whose products do as good a job as Sansuis do.

I have found a few, however.  The ME240 manages a similarly honest sound with a slightly faster feel to it (provided a source with a suitably low impedance is in use).  Sonneteer's Orton is also an excellent integrated provided it is not called on to provide more current than it can easily handle (the full control remote is a nice bonus too).  And Exposure's 2010 variants are just plain brilliant, although they sound nothing like any of the others mentioned here.

There are others too, but if you're talking sub $3K aussie these are your best bets at matching a Sansui.  Obviously that's my opinion, others will vary.

Anyway, enough rambling, time for more listening.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wowsers... such a lovely lovely amp. A noticeable step up over the 907DR in terms of clarity, resolution, imaging and sound staging. Very very impressed by the 907XR!

I must say that as a dyed-in-the-wool black-faced Sansui lover, I really do love these silver/champagne models. The veneer and the solid copper feet are purrrrdy!

@Cafad you really nailed your reviews on these amps!

14AAAF08-7261-4EDD-81E3-88978FBE7599.jpeg

3D1A1E02-2A89-4E6C-A5EB-BD7CF1EAF0E6.jpeg

60C80619-470F-4DDE-A678-BC985AC900EA.jpeg

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 7

Goodaye all

l need another Sansui fix.

Started with a AU101 then a few AU505's and just finished a AU555.

What should l get next?

Every time l get one of these recap and mod it l dont think l can get better but!!!!!

regards Bruce

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sloper said:

Goodaye all

l need another Sansui fix.

Started with a AU101 then a few AU505's and just finished a AU555.

What should l get next?

Every time l get one of these recap and mod it l dont think l can get better but!!!!!

regards Bruce

AU-999 with mods...

Then maybe a 919...