Sansui Amps Owners & Discussion Thread

On 03/03/2019 at 11:50 PM, Warren M. said:

Just a heads up that my enhanced Sansui TU-X711 supertuner will be shown and heard at the Sydney Audio Club, among other spectacular hi-fi components from my system, on the 2nd Sunday in  August or September this year, in Epping.

If you are a member of SAC, or you are considering joining, here's a chance to listen to a great Sansui tuner amongst my other hi-fi components. I'll let you know once it's decided which monthly meeting it will take place.

imageproxy.jpg.72d44aae69f91ac7c00f8cb1abf8e08d.jpg1024883175_TU-X711finished_and_re_assembled(1).JPG.d6602c8a19b8280763a270a34b236869.JPG

The modified main board and power supply board of the Sansui TU-X711

Note that the empty op-amp socket has been sporting a OPA-2604 since the enhancements took place. I'm about to replace that by a Burson v6 Classic discrete op-amp, which will be well-burnt-in by the presentation. The v6 Classic is one of the two latest editions to the Burson discreet op-amp line-up. Compared to the Burson v5, the v6 Vivid provides greater impact while the v6 Classic provides a better sense of musical integrity and emotion. After say 50 hours burn-in, they are both more musical and detailed by a large margin than even the best IC audio op-amps.

I now have Burson Audio "v6 Classic" and "v6 Vivid" dual-opamps, both with over a hundred hours burn-in. The improvement in the sound of the enhanced TU-X711, using either of them over the excellent OPA-2604, is obvious, with a dramatic increase in soundstage depth and precise positioning of singers and instruments within it (wide/local on strong stations).

The Vivid takes this further with a hard-etched precision and focus which is quite astonishing, and a sense of speed which has to be heard to be believed. On relatively uncompressed hard rock stations such as 2MMM-104.9 (very modest FM compression) and 2JJJ-105.7 (FM uncompressed) in Sydney this is fabulous, but it comes at a cost of some intimacy and emotion, most apparent on uncompressed classical and jazz stations ABC Classic FM (92.9) and Fine Music FM (102.5).

In comparison, the v6 Classic lives up to its name. At the cost of the last inch of detail and imagery, it offers a beautifully emotive edge to individual instruments and singers, which comes through in droves on the classical stations, but also on the hard rock stations.

Unfortunately, I get severe multipath on other strong local stations (I'm in a deep valley with very strong FM reflections), so I can't evaluate the effect on these stations very well.

Here's a screencap of Burson's visualisation of the differences between its opamps.

520890447_Bursonv6variants.JPG.c60e458328831ab894853163bd8ea870.JPG

476314286_SansuiTU-X711modifiedinclBursonv6Classic.thumb.jpg.a08169ea4023d90c3341b5c4cf972d06.jpg

The Burson v6 Classic opamp is now a permanent fixture in my TU-X711.

I've made one more change to the TU-X711 which I did as an experiment and expected to hear absolutely no change at all. I had a sheet of Stillpoints ERS "paper"

131779692_StillpointsERS.jpg.556460bc589f9c8dd2ec9d891a5759c5.jpg

which I was given some years ago. I considered it to be complete pseudo-scientific nonsense. But it occurred to me while my tuner was uncovered that, within a tuner, if it DID work, the one place ERS might do some good would be above the transformer and power supply, where RFI/EMI may be generated inside the box. So I stuck some under the lid and tested it with a simple test (after giving it a few hours in place): listen with lid on / lid off / lid on / lid off. The result was modest but unequivocal - the ERS paper "sweetened" the treble. It made women's voices (particularly obvious in conversation) more pleasant. I asked my musician brother to tell me if he heard any difference with the lid on or off (I gave no hint what he was listening for) and he immediately commented that the sound improved with the lid on, especially the high frequencies. So some Stillpoint ERS is now attached under the lid.

This ERS stuff is apparently most effective in digital players, where the digital stage and DAC generate AND are affected by RF. But I can't use it in my stunning digital player (Joe Rasmussen's ultimately modified JLTi Oppo 105D) as it already generates a ton of heat (transformers replace all output capacitors and opamps), and Stillpoints warns that ERS paper does generate heat (it traps and converts RF/EMF to heat). Additional warning: too much of this stuff can severely dull the sound of some hi-fi components - use sparingly - keep in mind that the developers of the components listened to the sound (including any RFI/EMI effects) and liked it.

You can hear my Sansui TU-X711 as part of my entire system on August 18 at the Sydney Audio Club.

Edited by Warren M.

On 30/03/2019 at 2:44 PM, liemjerry said:

hei,

anybody know market price for Sansui AU-D707 in mint condition ?

I have never seen one for sale in Australia, but the equivalent 'international' model (AU-819) in mint condition should fetch $AUD1000-1200 or so

It's hard to provide any indication of pricing for overseas markets.

Edited by pete_mac

After dropping off my AU-717 for recapping on 8th Feb, I rang the workshop on 30th March to just comment that I would be in Bali from 5th April for 2weeks.

He then happened to ring 2 days later asking when I could pick it up.

What With organising a partner, a kid, dog sitter for the trip, and transport it took me about a minute to say, I would be there by 5:30 :)

I am in Ubud, (partners call) getting Eat, Love Pray when what i really want is Elvis Costello asking me whats so funny about Peace Love and Understanding on My Technics sl-1300, AU-717 and Yamaha NS-690ii. (photos to come). 

sorry for the long winded intro.

What size step down transformer should I consider for my 110 Volt amplifier?

Would this suffice? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Giantz-1000W-240V-TO-110V-Step-Down-Stepdown-Transformer-Voltage-Converter-AU-US/392148988087?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Thanks in advance.

On 26/03/2019 at 9:51 AM, Warren M. said:

I've made one more change to the TU-X711 which I did as an experiment and expected to hear absolutely no change at all. I had a sheet of Stillpoints ERS "paper"

131779692_StillpointsERS.jpg.556460bc589f9c8dd2ec9d891a5759c5.jpg

which I was given some years ago. I considered it to be complete pseudo-scientific nonsense. But it occurred to me while my tuner was uncovered that, within a tuner, if it DID work, the one place ERS might do some good would be above the transformer and power supply, where RFI/EMI may be generated inside the box. So I stuck some under the lid and tested it with a simple test (after giving it a few hours in place): listen with lid on / lid off / lid on / lid off. The result was modest but unequivocal - the ERS paper "sweetened" the treble. It made women's voices (particularly obvious in conversation) more pleasant. I asked my musician brother to tell me if he heard any difference with the lid on or off (I gave no hint what he was listening for) and he immediately commented that the sound improved with the lid on, especially the high frequencies. So some Stillpoint ERS is now attached under the lid.

This ERS stuff is apparently most effective in digital players, where the digital stage and DAC generate AND are affected by RF. But I can't use it in my stunning digital player (Joe Rasmussen's ultimately modified JLTi Oppo 105D) as it already generates a ton of heat (transformers replace all output capacitors and opamps), and Stillpoints warns that ERS paper does generate heat (it traps and converts RF/EMF to heat). Additional warning: too much of this stuff can severely dull the sound of some hi-fi components - use sparingly - keep in mind that the developers of the components listened to the sound (including any RFI/EMI effects) and liked it.

You can hear my Sansui TU-X711 as part of my entire system on August 18 at the Sydney Audio Club.

Interesting experiment.  Coming from an RF background I'm curious if you also did the lid off / lid on / lid off test without the ERS paper, since the metal lid itself would also influence RFI/EMI fields quite significantly.  Without separate tests it would be difficult to know whether the lid itself or the paper or both were causing the improvement.

Also, I would suspect that the linear power supply, which has no oscillators or switching devices, would produce much less RFI than components like the microprocessors, synthesizer chip/s and fluorescent display, etc.

If you are thinking of doing any more experiments it might be worth trying some ERS paper between the front panel and the main board.

Anyway, lovely bit of kit.  Hope to add a machine like that to my Tuner collection one day.

2 hours ago, dammers31 said:

After dropping off my AU-717 for recapping on 8th Feb, I rang the workshop on 30th March to just comment that I would be in Bali from 5th April for 2weeks.

He then happened to ring 2 days later asking when I could pick it up.

What With organising a partner, a kid, dog sitter for the trip, and transport it took me about a minute to say, I would be there by 5:30 :)

I am in Ubud, (partners call) getting Eat, Love Pray when what i really want is Elvis Costello asking me whats so funny about Peace Love and Understanding on My Technics sl-1300, AU-717 and Yamaha NS-690ii. (photos to come). 

sorry for the long winded intro.

What size step down transformer should I consider for my 110 Volt amplifier?

Would this suffice? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Giantz-1000W-240V-TO-110V-Step-Down-Stepdown-Transformer-Voltage-Converter-AU-US/392148988087?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the late reply. I was going to recommend a Wallcann transformer as an affordable option... but the one in the ebay listing looks very very very very similar!

https://www.wallcann.com.au/1000w-step-down-transformer/#productInfoTab1

20 hours ago, surprisetech said:

Interesting experiment.  Coming from an RF background I'm curious if you also did the lid off / lid on / lid off test without the ERS paper, since the metal lid itself would also influence RFI/EMI fields quite significantly.  Without separate tests it would be difficult to know whether the lid itself or the paper or both were causing the improvement.

Also, I would suspect that the linear power supply, which has no oscillators or switching devices, would produce much less RFI than components like the microprocessors, synthesizer chip/s and fluorescent display, etc.

If you are thinking of doing any more experiments it might be worth trying some ERS paper between the front panel and the main board.

Anyway, lovely bit of kit.  Hope to add a machine like that to my Tuner collection one day.

Lid on without ERS - not in an on/off test. I had listened to the recently added Burson v6 Classic in the tuner, with the lid off and on (not specifically to hear differences) and had not noticed any change. I suspect that, if there is an audible difference, it is not very substantial. The only problem with placing the ERS paper between the front panel and the proximity to electrical circuitry of the conductive ERS paper, so it could be tricky keeping it electrically isolated from the circuitry. But I'll look at it, possibly in a week or three, and get back to the forum with my experience of it.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by Warren M.
  • Like 1

Could this be the ultimate car audio amplifier for the true Sansui nutter?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sansui-...m23ba63077f:g:IdkAAOSwm79csqgQ&frcectupt=true

LAPT outputs, a few Elna Silmics, U-Con polypropylene caps, copper plates to clamp the outputs to the heatsink. The PCBs look similar to those found in the Sansui Alphas.

907dl 1.jpg

907dl 2.jpg

907dl 3.jpg

907dl 4.jpg

907dl 5.jpg

907dl 6.jpg

907dl 7.jpg

907dl 8.jpg

907dl 9.jpg

31 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

A quick comparison to show the similarities between the above car audio amp and a Sansui AU-Alpha amp (in this case, the B-2103 power amp):

SM-A1 (top) vs 2 x B-2103 (bottom)

sm-a1 comparison.jpg

In a car amp!?!

Holy crap!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

I heard this and I want it. ?

It's a very impressive bit of kit. Incredibly similar to the 907XR. It still amazes me regarding the path that Sansui took towards the end of their life as the company that we know (knew?) and love(d). Brilliant brilliant amps. 

• Like 1

Hi all...

Excuse me Pete for jumping here, not trying to steal your thunder at all, just add me as another voice to yours spruiking the magnificence of the Sansui Alpha series of amplifiers! :)

Have been very fortunate in acquiring and becoming the custodian of a Sansui ALPHA 707MR (100v) amplifier down here in Australia. I won't go into the details of the procurement other than to say a big thank you to the other party involved!
It has a few issues...the major one one was with me trying to connect up my Marantz CD player to it and of course not knowing about the CD direct...CD direct?!? What is that?!?...CD direct, has to be where the cd player gets connected right?!?...turn on CD direct...fire her up on my Step Down Tranny...no sound?!?
Nada...not a crackle...silencio...

WTF...re-check all the cables...all good captain!

Okayyyyyy...think immediately of the worst scenario (plenty of practice when it comes to that!)...it's taken a hit in transport, see that Captain the cardboard box it came in has a smashed concertinaed corner...okayyy...

Disconnect cabling, decide to do some Tech detective work...lift the 23 Kilo amp and shake...phew no rattles or strange noises are revealed that may mean the amp has taken a hit internally...all i can hear is my painful grunting ala lifting!...okayyyyy...

Back she goes, hooked up...looking at the front dials...it's not a very intuitive excercise to hook up...wtf is this cd direct?!?!? Crouched in front of the Alpha i go through all different combinations of dials and lights, which are very nice by the way! Here i am crouched in front on the Alpha playing a hi-fi version of Rubick's cube...turning, twisting dials...pushing buttons on and off...lights on then off...
This CD direct light is on now turn off the integrated light...***** *** *********!!!!
This CD direct light is off now turn off the integrated light...****!!!!   double ****!!!!
Steely dan as loud as in my left ear...i do my imitation of my burmese cat's standing jump and re-settle, mutter i don't want to play anymore...and totter off to bed with a ringing left ear!
Thinking it did sound smooth though from what i heard, but then Steely dan always sounds smooth to me...yeah ok...

Morning and a change of CDs...Walter Becker's Circus Money is put on my system...

ALpha 707MR...
Wharfedale E90's...refurbished...
Marantz 5005 CDP...
Gieseler Klein DAC 11...

This MR in my set up loves the lower end and is so quick in execution...nimble...
It's like 'the incredible shrinking man' falling to the floor and then falling down between the floor boards...lower still..and lower...no detail is avoided...
Listening to Circus Money by Walter Becker aka Steely Dan...superb production...liquid sounds, could listen to this on repeat all day...
Makes me enjoy listening to music once again...
Classical, Shchedrin Carmen Suite, Russian National Orchestra with Mikhail Pletnev...vast soundstage...gorgeous...
Wow weee i love the musicality of this 707mr...so much music to re-listen to...

Second issue it has...are that it's wood panels are shot! The veneer has split and lifted...
Couple of phone calls later and have engaged a crafts-person to come up with a bespoked pair of wood panels for the 707...the colour?!?
Ahhhh it's sort of like a pastely light orange, nahhh more like light bronze, nahhhh more a mixture of the two and nougat thrown in...nougat?!?!? ...ok i'l bring them down! :)

I am truly smitten! I do so love both the looks and the music that this Alpha produces!
I just love looking at it...in fact i can't stop gushing about it. It is truly a child of the digital age, silver sleek with modern pastel definition, i tip my hat to those Sansui designers, their is nothing stereotypical about it's cool looks. That Sansui logo is the boss! Pin point cool pastel orange and red lights beat steady!
It's the Jetsons! it's space-age! it's slick chic! It just looks made for shiny polished CDs!
It has some competition here in the man-cave you know!...my modded 999 is not going to give up it's number one perch on the number one hi-fi cabinet without a fight!
I sense tension here already! :) :)
Bloody Alpha weighs a tonne! and that is a great indication of how it performs...with detailed sonic heft!
Bloody Alpha! It has turned my music world upside down! And it is nice that it has, it's not often that one's perspective on certain things gets a pleasant shake up! Bloody Alpha! Now i have to re-listen to my large music library just to catch up on what i have previously been missing out on!
That nimble lower end detail...unfatiguing highs...vast sound-stage...gorgeous!
Bloody Alphas!!!.....or should that be Alpha Bravo!!!...sound of applause... :)

20190410_210927.jpg

20190419_115242.jpg

20190419_115220.jpg

Edited by BLAH BLAH
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Hi all...

Excuse me Pete for jumping here, not trying to steal your thunder at all, just add me as another voice to yours spruiking the magnificence of the Sansui Alpha series of amplifiers! :)

No thunder-stealing to be seen here! Just sharing the Alpha love! 

• Like 1