Sansui Amps Owners & Discussion Thread

My first taste of Sansui and I was so surprised that I bought the AU 505 from the master technician himself. I was so eager to get the amp home that I didn't ask to listen to his room full of other gorgeous Sansui amps. ?

Anyway, this little Sansui is making such beautiful music with my headphones - Sennheiser HD800 and Audeze LCD-2f. I've been listening to music with it all of yesterday afternoon, night and this morning. So hooked was I that I haven't even try it with my speakers yet. I have a pair of Axis LS28 and LS88 in mint condition - had them for 20 years bought them new.

I've owned and used the Schiit Ragnarok and am using a made in USA, Glenn OTL amp at the moment with my headphones. I also have on order a DNA Stratus headphone amp. They are good but this Sansui surprised me with the clarity, lushness of mid-range, deep and strong bass and non fatiguing highs. It's sweet music and it's the best $350 I've spend in my head-fi journey so far.

Thanks Pete ! ?

DSC_0271.JPG

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

My first taste of Sansui and I was so surprised that I bought the AU 505 from the master technician himself. I was so eager to get the amp home that I didn't ask to listen to his room full of other gorgeous Sansui amps. ?

Anyway, this little Sansui is making such beautiful music with my headphones - Sennheiser HD800 and Audeze LCD-2f. I've been listening to music with it all of yesterday afternoon, night and this morning. So hooked was I that I haven't even try it with my speakers yet. I have a pair of Axis LS28 and LS88 in mint condition - had them for 20 years bought them new.

I've owned and used the Schiit Ragnarok and am using a made in USA, Glenn OTL amp at the moment with my headphones. I also have on order a DNA Stratus headphone amp. They are good but this Sansui surprised me with the clarity, lushness of mid-range, deep and strong bass and non fatiguing highs. It's sweet music and it's the best $350 I've spend in my head-fi journey so far.

Thanks Pete ! ?

DSC_0271.JPG

It's a little gem of an amp, sweet as...:thumb:

And the 100i is even more impressive on the inside.  The seal for the back plate is a double cork gasket style seal, that metal plate that the tweeter is secured to is far more impressive in person than it appears in pictures.  The bolts (yes, bolts, none of this small diameter screw rubbish, and yes there are nuts embedded on the inside of the surround for them to screw into) that hold the back on are 50mm long and 5mm thick.  That cross member that the woofer is bolted to, that's 40mm thick.  This is a very impressive box design.

IMG_0979.thumb.JPG.43cc300589c18252fb1b34aec9b77c74.JPGIMG_0980.thumb.JPG.112510aefa524c42e2594eaf46e18022.JPGIMG_0981.thumb.JPG.03858c10be43affd41a114eebc6bce9d.JPGIMG_0982.thumb.JPG.b9f1bfdb61f1539abadd9cef9d3adb0b.JPG

That tape holding the crossover components in the blocks of wood is tar backed paper, one side of the woofer tape has come off but I'll soon fix that.  And the electrolytic caps are an Elna and a Rubycon this time, both 50 volt rated which seems low to me but I guess is working just fine.

No wonder they sound good.  Sansui's fastidious attention to detail strikes again.

• Like 1

Nice!

That little bunch of capacitors which are not mounted in pine,  but are sitting snug inside a little felt blanket appear to include some of the famed black polypropylene film U-Con capacitors that are used throughout the 907s. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Thanks Pete ! ?

DSC_0271.JPG

Excellent!  Glad that you like her - and yes, I realised that we didn't get a chance to listen to any of my other gear whilst you were here! Whoops!

39 minutes ago, huxmut said:

I wonder. Maybe they need breaking in ???

Maybe but it wrinkles my brain to think that they haven't been used for an average of about 15 hours a year since manufacture, and that's all it would take.  Still, we shall see.

I've got the SP-300S supplying background music while I work on the pair of 100is.  I've swapped over to the ME240 and it seems like a better match for the smaller Sansui speakers than the 907 Extra was, which is strange but there you have it.

15 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

Nice!

That little bunch of capacitors which are not mounted in pine,  but are sitting snug inside a little felt blanket appear to include some of the famed black polypropylene film U-Con capacitors that are used throughout the 907s. 

Cool, I was wondering about them as they don't seem to have anything printed on them.

Edited by Cafad
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Cool, I was wondering about them as they don't seem to have anything printed on them.

The U-cons are the black caps in this image Some of them can be reasonably large.

post-140333-0-50877300-1436709702.jpg

Edited by pete_mac

Then I play my 'War On Drugs' double LP vinyl. As I have an Avid MC phono preamp, I absentmindedly plug the rca cable into the phono input and obviously got some hissing sound. ? Switch it to the aux input and viola what music from the Rega RP8. This Sansui AU-505 is appreciating in value by the minute !

DSC_0287.JPG

• Like 2

I'll have to read through this thread and see which are the alpha series. ?

In the meantime, 70s music 'Love Over Gold' by Dire Straits for a 70s Sansui - superb. Not going to get anything done this afternoon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

despite your alpha

A long story for another time, but I no longer have the alpha ... I do miss her, but it was the right thing to do (in my mind)

But yes, I do love this little 101, I think it's better looking than my 2900 and 317 ...

39 minutes ago, huxmut said:

A long story for another time, but I no longer have the alpha ... I do miss her, but it was the right thing to do (in my mind)

But yes, I do love this little 101, I think it's better looking than my 2900 and 317 ...

I saw the picture of your 907 with the Yamaha N1000. Drool.

I think I saw the same gold coloured 907 at Pete's place.... with the nice wooden panels.

Well enough fantasising for me because right now I cannot believe the 505 is driving my LS88 so well with Tangerine Dream album 'Out Of This World'.

@pete_mac has the 907 NRA ???

Possibly even better looking (only just) than the 907 Limited ??

And if you are looking for something that fits the era, Hotel Morrison "just fits" the AU-101 nicely, I imagine it would sound exceptional on the AU-505 :D

Something about playing period correct that seems to work very nicely on the AU-101

On 06/02/2019 at 1:34 PM, liemjerry said:

I plan to buy one of 2 Sansui amps :

AU - 7500 or AU - 7700 but I don't have decision yet, because audition is not possible too.

From the experience of 2 amps, which is give good detail in jazz music, but not tend to harsh in high frequency?

Thank you

Here's a plug for mine

AU7700

1 hour ago, huxmut said:

Not going to argue with you...those little 101s magic!

2 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

those little 101s magic!

Somewhat fitting that the pictures of my 101 are on page 101 of this thread.

It's going to be a while before the boys with 907's get that opportunity ? :o :D

• Like 2