Sansui Amps Owners & Discussion Thread

A rare black 607NRA with the original box. This thing is spotless, not a mark or even a finger mark on it. It looks like it was just picked up from a hi-fi shop back in 1997.... amazing as black shows up everything.

How does it sound;

From the first song, lovely presentation......, fast - clean - detailed and accurate. I really like how evenly balanced the bass, mid and top end sounds. It could do with maybe a bit more bottom end with certain instruments like drums (floor toms) but a very enjoyable listening experience. It really suited my Spendor BC1's for not being bass heavy.

A lovely sounding integrated, we'll built and has some really nice features.

IMAG1099_1.jpg.14475610ea5d469894b7b9e7bdd9135e.jpgIMAG1104_1.jpg.fbf6203ef2915baf305b59788e204b5c.jpgIMAG1095_1.thumb.jpg.d1de8b4b823b1e35aeefe831f9d2dafd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Now........... comparing to the old lady.

This is just my opinion and I'm not trying to put the NRA down at all.

It's been a while but what I do remember listening to my AU-111 and now having heard the 607NRA I know their differences. The AU-111 has a more WOW factor about it, bigger bottom end....., nicer presentation, does much much better with background sound effects, has a more open mid-range and top end. It also has an amazing 3D soundstage and imaging something the NRA didn't do as well as the 111. Maybe it's bigger brothers the 707 & 907 would rival or surpass the old lady. It's on the cards in the near future and it would be very interesting listening to both to see where Sansui was heading with the Alpha series.

So new delivery this week. My daughter based in London thought i might like this as a late Christmas present. So now i have two CD Alpha717DRs guess i can keep one for spares or if it checks out ok let it go back into the  wild. Family shot looks kinda cool.

file-29 (2).jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Charly said:

So new delivery this week. My daughter based in London thought i might like this as a late Christmas present. So now i have two CD Alpha717DRs guess i can keep one for spares or if it checks out ok let it go back into the  wild. Family shot looks kinda cool.

file-29 (2).jpeg

Are they 230V units mate?

How did they make buttons in the 80s and 90s ???

I have some that are worn the same on an old Fluke DMM from 1989.

Notice the play and pause on both of Charly's examples are losing their markings yet the open/close buttons are fine.

And (almost) impossible to find replacement parts :(

Started to dismantle this dirty little triple eight. Not as bad as i had thought. Should come up nicely. Had to remove the factory blue tape around the front face frame as it was well and truly gone (pictured with it still attached). Looks like it had protected from scratching the frame.  

IMAG1117.jpg

IMAG1116.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sansui77 said:

Started to dismantle this dirty little triple eight. Not as bad as i had thought. Should come up nicely. Had to remove the factory blue tape around the front face frame as it was well and truly gone (pictured with it still attached). Looks like it had protected from scratching the frame.  

IMAG1117.jpg

IMAG1116.jpg

Ummmm, gets mystery box of Sansui and has the next week off "sick"

Your boss will start to put the peices together shortly...

Edit - posted from a coffee shop a long way from my work....?

Edited by huxmut
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, huxmut said:

Ummmm, gets mystery box of Sansui and has the next week off "sick"

Your boss will start to put the peices together shortly...

Edit - posted from a coffee shop a long way from my work....?

Shouldn't be a problem, they aren't called sick days anymore they're called "personal days" and that situation sounds pretty personal. 

So no problem then!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Shouldn't be a problem, they aren't called sick days anymore they're called "personal days" and that situation sounds pretty personal. 

So no problem then!

Unless you need more than two days, then you still need a medical certificate. 

Obviously only a medical professional is qualified to determine just how personal you are feeling and how many days you will require to get over it.

• Like 1

Hahaha, i don't know what to say guys, it's just an amp [emoji6]

I do have 3 months sick leave though [emoji189] .... sorry I mean "Personal days" [emoji2]

• Like 1

I just couldn't stand the condition it was in so I decided to repair it then cleaning it [emoji28] I think it came up nicely.

Huxi knows how bad it was.

Ready now for a rebuild and an internal clean.

IMAG1144.thumb.jpg.36ccb461f401dee84b69a5c1763c0594.jpg

IMAG1142.thumb.jpg.651a1a7e03b7fcb6ce8d05a58b838784.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

A very nice clean up indeed. Looks like the blue tape did save that leading top edge, and just a minute or two spent cleaning the face and dials too :o

How did those two small bits on the side edges of the wood work go ? Just needed some food/oil I guess ?!a

Well, hurry up. I need to see that little red led glow on the front now :)

• Like 1

It was challenging to get the colour right but as in the pics it's very hard to see now. The case still requires another coat down the track. I'm so wrapped how it came up. 

The face was the worst I've ever seen before. I had to clean it using swipe first then use meguiars x 2.0 with a wet rag then WD40. 40+ years of grime.

@pete_mac Now I know why a few Sansui techs in the states recommend WD40 on the faceplates. Bit weird but WOW how good does it come up on the final finish. I'll have to go over with it with some of my other black faced gear.

Edited by Sansui77
  • Like 2