Soekris DAM1021 Discrete R2R DAC

OffTrackSound

Thanks guys.

My experience with filtering is almost entirely around using eq plugins to filter field recordings, so I'm hardly an expert.

I guess it helps a bit with tweaking the filters in rePhase...

The slow roll-off linear and minimum phase filters are sounding pretty good imo.

I'm just playing with the 44.1 filters at the moment because that is where most of the gains are to be made.

I currently have the linear-phase slow roll-off filter installed and was having a listening session this afternoon.

Using a varied selection of music - Kronos Quartet, Academy of Ancient Music, Foday Musa Suso (gambian kora player), and finally Solar Fields "Blue" ( https://solarfields.bandcamp.com/album/blue ) - the DAC is sounding pretty good.

The Solar Fields tracks were giving me chills despite it being 30+ in my listening room :) 

cheers

Paul

Got mine up and running tonight.  Been playing with the filters.  Pretty temporary hookup on some birch ply but quite impressed so far...  Transformer is a Jaycar cheapo as the Element14 toroidal has been delayed.

post-104459-0-07195000-1424087206_thumb.

Edited by WINEDS
  • Like 1

Theoretical gains:

1. 384kHz I2S input to bypass the on-board filters

2. filter in the computer in real time to get a clean impulse free of pre-ringing

3. ultra regulated power

4. tap the raw 1.4V output into a high impedance load eg TVC to power amps with input  impedance over 50k

5. keep powered up 24/24

6. burn in with pick noise powering a dummy load for 500 hours

• 1 month later...

Just an update, the dam dac is sounding pretty good now, way beyond its price.

All the improvements have come from development work on the filters, which has mostly come from Paul's work in conjunction with a few others.

Paul's grasp of filter design has been enthralling to watch, indeed the whole diy world is hanging on his next move.

Thanks and respect.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Aren't they releasing an updated version soon?

Um.. I dunno :) I suppose that would explain why they haven't restocked in 0.1 and 0.5% versions.

In that case, is there anyone in Sydney interested in a bundle buy on the updated version when it becomes available? :)

JR, is there any reason you have chosen this over the Musicaltech RD50? I've been looking for a DAC project too - haven't commited yet.

Hi man :) To be honest, I've never heard of that one. I'm not attracted to 9018 boards as I have a commercial DAC using it. And I think the Soekris board is fairly unique, in addition for my purposes it will accept a 3-wire I2S input which means it can be wired directly to a Raspberry Pi - assuming I get that far. I think I read in this thread or somewhere related someone had done that.

Hi Awty and  John Reekie,

My understanding about the Soekris dam1021 DAC's availability is:

* A firmware update is imminent

* The hardware currently available is the first and latest and while there may be other versions of the hardware available down the track is seems like it will be a while and I would be very surprised if it were this year. Currently the designer is consumed by the imminent firmware release and it's expected that this will open the door to improvements in filter possibilities as well as provide for other functionality.

* The 0.1% and 0.5% versions are no longer generally available as there wasn't a lot of demand for them. They also complicated the production of the 0.2% version. The general opinion is that the 0.1% version gave little/no advantage over the 0.2% version.

Yes, the shipping cost is surprising. I had mine sent via a shipping agent, shipito.com, which significantly reduced the price.

It's an excellent sounding DAC!

Cheers!

Rob

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

How are people going with implementation of their DAM1021 boards?

ive got an amanero USB module connected to mine.    Whole thing sounds ‘ok’ but not as holographic or harmonically ‘dense’ like  I’m used to.    Haven’t played around with power supplies and also filter settings though. 

Also saw this control board available for the dam1021 board.  Looks interesting.  

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273142367470

CC5D4DF9-C5D0-42A7-8410-4A0453FE66FA.jpeg