Sign in to follow this  
scuzzii

Speaker Stand recommendations

Folks,

curious as to where people get their speaker stands from.  I listed a WTB ad last year but not much around then.  So I'm looking at new ones.

I potentially need two sets. One for my parents and one for my study.

Parents will be matched to a set of Legend Kurres or JPW Rubys (and I will sell off the left over set)

Study is Revel M22s

600mm - 700mm in height I reckon.

I've looked at Atacama but would like to know what people feel are good stands.

John

I'll tag along with interest John - I'm in the same boat as you (needing stands of that height and having no luck second hand).

I saw some 'norstone' ones on ebay but wasn't sure if they could be sand filled which is important for me.

Chris

The NorStone stands are well made and good value at around the ~$200 mark. Picked one pair up from LifeStyle Store in Sydney and another from a place in Melb (can't remember the name). The Stylum 2 are 600mm high and have adjustable carpet spikes on the base.

I've been using the two sets for the past couple of years to hold my rear speakers and for a while a set of Dynaudio Focus stand-mounters. To add some weight, I simply filled the supplied plastic bags that the columns came wrapped in with dried sand from Bunnings (remember to tape up the air holes positioned around the plastic bag). You can fill them whilst positioned in the column and seal them off with a cable tie or rubber bands.

http://www.norstone-design.com/en/model/22_Stylum-2.html

Edited by sdave

@sdave  thanks for the info.  They look nice

I've got a pair of Norstone stands too and have filled them with sand.  I can't remember exactly what it was, but I think I put a bit of silicone or something around the inside of the tube to seal it against the base plate.  They do the job fine for me, although the paint has chipped off a bit around when the back/smaller tube touches the base plate.  But that's probably just me being a bit rough screwing it together.

Guest Misterioso

I am happy with my Tauris SP-121. They are very solid and come with two top plates in different sizes. 

Hi John,

From experience, the Dynaudio stand 4 worked well with the Revel's. They seemed to have stopped selling them but they do come up reasonably frequently second hand. Worth keeping an eye out.

Why not make a pair? I have made 2. One from Mdf the other from African hardwood, (32mm thick timber) and filled with sand

. Not using currently in  the lounge as I've moved on from Book shelves.

On the bright side it's an easy Hifi project

@@Sparkle

I'm retarded when it comes to DIY.  :)

thanks for the suggestions guys.  I've picked up a set of 2nd hand ones for the folks.  But still looking for a set for the Revel's.  No urgency as they are sitting nearfield in my study.  But will keep an eye out as usual.

John

@@Sparkle

I'm retarded when it comes to DIY.  :)

thanks for the suggestions guys.  I've picked up a set of 2nd hand ones for the folks.  But still looking for a set for the Revel's.  No urgency as they are sitting nearfield in my study.  But will keep an eye out as usual.

John

you can get some isolation platform for your desk :), many studio monitors uses them.

Just repurpose some floorstanders. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

lol. Nice use of space. Done that often?

Haha. Never. You know i was making a funny, right? The cabinet resonance of the floorstander would probably mess with sound. There's just no substitute for proper speaker stands.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It has been done before :o

Didn't even try some diy isolation in between. Back in my days in high school I thought that more speakers was a good solution. I had the vintage floorstanders with some kenwood's stacked on top. All fed from the same speaker outputs of a vintage amplifier.. I guess it sounded better than what I had... but it put out the muddiest loud noise. yuck!

Edited by Randle

There are a few stands at Len Wallis in their 2nd hand section that may do the trick.

There are a few stands at Len Wallis in their 2nd hand section that may do the trick.

Yep, and I believe they are having a sale on all used gear ending in 30 mins...

Finding decent stands in Australia seems to be a real problem based on my own reasearch.

Ideally, imo, the stands should be made of welded steel as most 'bolt togethers' just don't offer a decent level of rigidity. Stands with glass tops or bases are also a waste of time in my oppinion.

Can't offer any suggestions as I have yet to find anything decent myself.

Like these?

Now that's more like it !  :thumb:

There are some DIY guides on how to make speaker stands using PVC piping + wood.
Really easy, look good and minimal investment

they look great.  Im not a DIY kind of guy :)

Hey John,

Good to know the Legend's are still with you - or rather, your parents. How are they sounding?

I recently purchased a pair of Atacamas for my Legend Kangas. They were the cheaper models at $249 and have a two pole design, the front one being greater in diameter than the rear one.

As the Kangas are quite tall, slim and heavy, they aren't particularly stable on the Atacamas. Even after weighing the stands down with sand and some ball bearings, they can rock a bit.

They aren't ideal but I wanted something cheap. The more expensive four pole Atacamas would've been better but it think they were around $600 to $800. One day I will have to invest in a more stable stand.

Have you considered the Solid Tech? Krispy has them listed at $645.00. They really look the business.

Cheers

T

Oh, I should add that the quality of the Atacamas that I bought was only so so. The metal used is not of the highest quality and quite soft. I knocked one of the larger poles at the base and it bent quite easily. I don't know how rigid the more expensive ones are???

Also, I had to use a pair of pliers to screw the supplied spikes on as some of them wouldn't thread easily.

Edited by Trickster