Sign in to follow this  

Portable boombox #25

....or 26, I forget.

As I was clearing out and reorganising the music room I came across this old woofer in box I'd bought at the dump years ago for $5.

Thought I'd make something with it, amd a mate gave me a sub/tweeter splitter, I had these little surround sound speakers and the PA amp I got from the scrapyard a while back.

Slapped it all together, sprayed some paint on it and there ya go.

$10 boombox with 12 inch sub.

Got a chance to finish it today as it's raining and I can't get any work done...

post-145321-0-06522800-1421896544_thumb.

post-145321-0-55149200-1421896586_thumb.

I ran all the wiring inside the box to keep it a bit tidy.

post-145321-0-29947700-1421896621_thumb.

Sure.....

post-145321-0-76614700-1421896641_thumb.

Will be good for a party or two until I find something else, and inevitably pull this apart to make the next version.

:lol:

another one! way too much time on your hands.

All these boomboxes of yours remind me of Roskilde music festival in Denmark. A lot of keen punters put together portable rigs, made up mostly of car audio bits. they all try and out do each other, so the best ones are pretty impressive. All very cool, unless you end up camping near one that keeps blasting all night.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=roskilde+portable+boombox&biw=1440&bih=468&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=XnXAVKn6Hoa7mQWA84HQBQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Seen the build plans for THE BOOMINATOR online.

Might attempt it one day.

Would be sweet to have it solar powered

boom3a.jpg

^_^

I have been knocking up a party blaster system around a busted subwoofer I got from ebay for $3 that has been in my garage for years, plus some old pioneer 6x9 car speakers (also ebay) as satellites, and a cheapy TPA3116 2.1 amp (from ebay), I've got it powered from a batteries and a solar panel so the sun powers about 50% of it's needs.

It's definitely not high end audio but its a lot of fun, and I can sling it in the boot and don't need mains power to run it.

I have been knocking up a party blaster system around a busted subwoofer I got from ebay for $3 that has been in my garage for years, plus some old pioneer 6x9 car speakers (also ebay) as satellites, and a cheapy TPA3116 2.1 amp (from ebay), I've got it powered from a batteries and a solar panel so the sun powers about 50% of it's needs.

It's definitely not high end audio but its a lot of fun, and I can sling it in the boot and don't need mains power to run it.

That's what it's all about :)

This one here will be good to bring to BBQs etc, or when we're hanging out in the park out back and can chuck an extension lead over the fence.

I do have another battry powered one with a Lepai amp and two 6x9s which we take camping etc, but that needs upgrading too.

Lepai make little amps now with sub output. Might get one of them or two.

those boominators are babies compared to some I saw.this has to be the biggesthttp://hejven.se/blog/2010/06/26/the-sound-of-roskilde-2010/lots of cool ones here. the tank is the besthttp://samvirke.dk/forbrug/gallerier/roskilde-festival-boom-boom-–-banker-besat.html

Yeh haha some crazy creations there.

Things have changed since early 90's when I was at Roskilde.

People were still carrying around massive ghetto blasters and a wheelbarrow full of batteries ;)

Things have changed since early 90's when I was at Roskilde.

People were still carrying around massive ghetto blasters and a wheelbarrow full of batteries ;)

I was there in 2006 and 2007. There's still the wheelbarrows full of batteries but I saw a lot more custom efforts than off the shelf ghetto blasters. I think from year to year they just get more insane with people trying to out-do each other.

Cranked the box up last night.

Definitely needs some ports.

The sound improved drastically when I removed the old connection plate on the side.

Will put that back on and put some holes n the front and see (hear) how that goes.

:)

That's what it's all about :)

This one here will be good to bring to BBQs etc, or when we're hanging out in the park out back and can chuck an extension lead over the fence.

Same here, can take this to camps or the park or whatever.

Definitely needs some ports.

The sound improved drastically when I removed the old connection plate on the side.

My $3 sub was improved by addition of two ports, using thin PVC pipe from bunnings, holes drilled with one of those drill fittings for fitting door handles.

It is an MDF enclosure that the original driver and amp gone, so someone had mounted a different Pioneer car sub on it, and a busted plate amp (which I have discarded):

post-113607-0-91423700-1422001752_thumb.

Was just having a quick test run today, using this little USB powered DJ mixer I got, and a tablet DJ app:

post-113607-0-02972800-1422001832_thumb.

It gets a bit grungy up loud but surprisingly clear at medium volume levels.

Detail showing the specially selected speaker stand made of synthetic material, imported all the way from Vietnam, and the Chinese DC-DC converter that turns the 12VDC to 24VDC to get more grunt out of the little ebay amp (50W + 50W + 100W it claims).

post-113607-0-67544700-1422001912_thumb.

This thread is awesome. Great work guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here, can take this to camps or the park or whatever.  My $3 sub was improved by addition of two ports, using thin PVC pipe from bunnings, holes drilled with one of those drill fittings for fitting door handles.It is an MDF enclosure that the original driver and amp gone, so someone had mounted a different Pioneer car sub on it, and a busted plate amp (which I have discarded):attachicon.gif14c42de7e598634b2156faad99c42d2139864d222d51d4fe4aa741db912c4f02.jpg Was just having a quick test run today, using this little USB powered DJ mixer I got, and a tablet DJ app: attachicon.gifIMG_5304.JPGIt gets a bit grungy up loud but surprisingly clear at medium volume levels. Detail showing the specially selected speaker stand made of synthetic material, imported all the way from Vietnam, and the Chinese DC-DC converter that turns the 12VDC to 24VDC to get more grunt out of the little ebay amp (50W + 50W + 100W it claims).attachicon.gifIMG_5303.JPG

I can see you've put a lot of time and effort in to the acoustics of your yard as well.

That vine at the back is awesome.

Pumpkin?

Where can I get me some of those speaker stands?

:)

Oh and the drill fitting would be called a hole saw.