Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Cambridge Azur 650T AM/FM/DAB+ Tuner

some under the hood pics of the Cambridge Azur 650T AM/FM/DAB+ tuner

14117519222_a3ede068df_b.jpg

13933939408_6ca581b959_b.jpg

some points of note, really good build fit and finish on the unit.

the use of a separate DAB+ tuner in addition to the AM/FM tuner 

a quality dac stage in the wolfson 8740 same as used in their dacmagic

a decent torroidal power supply and analog stage :)

Thanks for this!

Any chance you could tell me the model number of the DAB+ module?

I am trying to "fix" the Azur 640T tuner for a member who brought his from UK where they use DAB and hence it does not work in Oz where we have DAB+.

Could not find any info on this searching the net for the last 3 hours.

The one that the 640T uses is RS200L module

I know that it will be a pain as it is underneath the FM module but pretty, pretty please.

Cheers

Roman

IMG_6323.JPG

IMG_6324.JPG

1 hour ago, rockeater said:

Thanks for this!

Any chance you could tell me the model number of the DAB+ module?

I am trying to "fix" the Azur 640T tuner for a member who brought his from UK where they use DAB and hence it does not work in Oz where we have DAB+.

Could not find any info on this searching the net for the last 3 hours.

The one that the 640T uses is RS200L module

I know that it will be a pain as it is underneath the FM module but pretty, pretty please.

Cheers

Roman

IMG_6323.JPG

IMG_6324.JPG

sorry RC I sold my unit. so cant comment. I have no idea if the 640T can be converted to a 650T maybe worth checking in with synergy the local agents they can be quite helpful even if uk sourced :)

Thanks for your reply.

Yours is was the only picture of the insides that I could find on the net.

The size and location of pins looks similar so I was hoping to search for the model # from your unit.

I sent a message to to Synergy earlier yesterday. CA in England were disinterested.

Cheers and thx again

Roman

Sadly not.

I am told that they are incompatible - different pinouts.

Plus hard to get and a lot of work would have to be done to convert them.

Easier to get 650T but I have not seen one recently for sale.

Hi, not sure if you folks are still interested but I've just had the lid off my 650T (UK model). Looking at the manual (from CA website) it seems that the DAB module in here should handle DAB+ just fine. From page 9:

DAB+
The 650T is compatible with both DAB (MP2 audio compression) and
DAB+ (AAC+ audio compression) broadcasts. A ‘+’ symbol will appear on
the far right of the front panel display when a DAB+ broadcast is being
received.

Anyhow, I also have a question, maybe someone here can help?

My unit stopped working just after being reconnected after a 2-month holiday. As I suspected, when I opened it up the main (FU1) fuse on the power supply board had blown. I've got a replacement fuse on order, but clearly fuses usually blow for a reason...

I've checked all boards for signs of overheating, failed solder joints, electrolyte leakage, foreign bodies, but all looks good. Is there anything else I should check before I power up again?

TIA

Mark

3 hours ago, Marker said:

replacement fuse on order

Is it any special type of fuse that you have to order (rather than just going to Altronics/Jaycar and buying one)?

3 hours ago, Marker said:

Looking at the manual (from CA website) it seems that the DAB module in here should handle DAB+ just fine.

It does.

I have one of them among my components. In fact I still have both: 640T and 650T, the earlier one looking for a new home as a FM tuner (for $50).

The 650T is very good and by that I mean sensitive. I live by the lake which  - naturally - is the lowest place around. It is the only tuner that easily picks up all the stations.

To your problem.

Nothing much that you can do as a user.

Maybe with exception of putting in a fuse 25 or 30% lower value than the original (to start with) to see if it gets blown.

The reason for the failure could have been condensation.

Make sure that before you fire it up again, it is nice and warm.

Cheers

Roman

Hi Roman

Is it any special type of fuse that you have to order (rather than just going to Altronics/Jaycar and buying one)? 

No, it's a standard 20x5mm T2AL. There aren't any shops like that where I live since Maplin folded, sadly. I have to get lots of things by post.

Thanks for the tips!

Mark

Edited by Marker

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By blocky
      Item: Cambridge Audio T500 Double Superheterodyne Tuner
      Price: $80
      Item Condition: Working but backlight does not work (LED/globe needs replacing) 
      Reason for selling: Not used 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Not using as I need to minimise my system. 
      Does functionally work but will need to globe replaced for the backlight to see display.
      Apart from the display it is in very good condition. 
      Comes with manual and remote control.
      Pickup preferred. I think I have the original carton too. 

PM me if interested.

Pictures:

• By LWA Staff
      Item: Cambridge Azur 840c CD Player
      Price: Was $950 SN Member's Special $590
      Item Condition: Very good secondhand condition
      Payment Method: Credit Cards, Cash, Paypal, Bank Transfer, ZipPay
      Shipping: Anywhere in Federation Space
      Extra Info: Update 26.04.2019 now relisted as the buyer changed his mind
      Many a kind word has been written about the 840c (and the Azur line up generally). This one is in very good secondhand condition and has superb sonic potential. Technically speaking the 840c offers such tricks such as ATFTM (Adaptive Time Filtering) asynchronous up-sampling technology; that wins acronym of the week btw. ATFTM allows for interpolation of 16-bit/44.1kHz CD data to 24-bit/384kHz data, via a 32-bit Analog Devices Black Fin DSP , which switches to the two (2) x 24-bit/384kHz DACs  in dual differential formation. Each DAC manages one channel for excellent stereo imaging, operating fully in differential mode for exceptionally low distortion and noise. There are unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR outputs. Two digital inputs allowing for the up-sampling / playback of other sources such as a DVD player via the Azur 840C. There is also a Control Bus In/Out, an IR emitter in connection and an RS232 port are provided for easy multi-room connectivity.
      (note: we've plastic shrink wrapped the unit for protection which is why the finish may look a little strange in pictures)
      Pictures:

• By Selby Thornbury
      Item: Cambridge Audio CXC CD Player Silver
      Price: $499  (RRP $799)
      Item Condition: Ex-Display. Some minor marks, but no major dents or deep scratches.
      Reason for selling: Clearance Stock
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal 
      Extra Info: Can be viewed in person at the Thornbury retail store before purchase.
        Manufacturers Sales Pitch: Designed specifically to do one thing only and do it well. The CXC spins CDs and retrieves the audio data with perfect precision so you can hear things that you’ve never heard before in tracks you’ve heard 100 times. 
      At the heart of the CXC is Cambridge Audio's legendary ‘S3’ servo design. 
      Designed for efficient recovery of CD digital data with state of the art error correction it’s been engineered to play audio CDs brilliantly. Multi-purpose drives simply can’t compete. 
      The design was developed for Cambridge's flagship 851C CD player, giving minimal disc jitter and excellent error correction for precise and accurate playback of CDs.
        Specs and Features:  DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUTS: S/PDIF coaxial and TOSLINK optical
      S/PDIF OUTPUT IMPEDANCE: <75ohms
      MAX POWER CONSUMPTION: 25 W
      STANDBY POWER CONSUMPTION: <0.5W
      DIMENSIONS (H x W x D): 85mm x 430mm x 315mm (3.1" x 16.9" x 12.4”)
      WEIGHT: 4.7kg (10.3lbs)
      GAPLESS PLAYBACK: Yes
        Condition:  New Open Box Ex Display Unit.  This unit was used for display purposes in a retail environment, minor scratches are present, but no major dents or deep scratches. Excellent working condition. Includes Full Manufacturers Warranty   Feel free to ask for more information.

• By davel
      Item: Cambridge Audio 640A v2 intergrated 
      Price: $230.00
      Item Condition: Good
      Reason for selling: Arcam A29
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, 
      Extra Info: Purchased from Musicman in December 2018 as a temporary fix until I found a new amp. It has hardly been used (10-20 hours). Refer prior ad regarding low usage.

( pics show slight tarnish on lid & smudge marks on volume knob) I’m sure they could be cleaned up with a little T.L.C. (quote)

The remote worked when purchased, I never used it, however when I tested last week it wasn't, hence the price drop. All other functionality works as expected.

Despite being rated at 75wpc it killed our 90wpc AVR. Easily drove a pair of interdyn Bt2 floor standers.

Enjoyed this amp during it's short time in use.

No box so won't post. Prefer audition and pickup.

Pictures:

• By draculr
      Item: Cambridge Audio CXA80 80wpc Integrated Stereo Amplifier
      Price: $1000
      Item Condition: AS NEW
      Reason for selling: Very much overkill for use with my small bookshelf speakers on my desktop PC!
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Item is in as new condition, no issues whatsoever. No box available so it's only up for local pickup. Comes with the power cable and unit itself. Can throw in a Chord 1.5m Silverplus USB cable for $50.

This is the amplifier in question: https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/cambridge-audio-cxa80-integrated-amplifier?variant=16063937539&gclid=Cj0KEQjwrsDIBRDX3JCunOrr_YYBEiQAifH1FoqDXWommAoHhe0AIhWe2l6oOzZlSQ-_6K2KF4wuP2oaArVw8P8HAQ

Pictures: