Cambridge Azur 650T AM/FM/DAB+ Tuner

some under the hood pics of the Cambridge Azur 650T AM/FM/DAB+ tuner

14117519222_a3ede068df_b.jpg

13933939408_6ca581b959_b.jpg

some points of note, really good build fit and finish on the unit.

the use of a separate DAB+ tuner in addition to the AM/FM tuner 

a quality dac stage in the wolfson 8740 same as used in their dacmagic

a decent torroidal power supply and analog stage :)

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this!

Any chance you could tell me the model number of the DAB+ module?

I am trying to "fix" the Azur 640T tuner for a member who brought his from UK where they use DAB and hence it does not work in Oz where we have DAB+.

Could not find any info on this searching the net for the last 3 hours.

The one that the 640T uses is RS200L module

I know that it will be a pain as it is underneath the FM module but pretty, pretty please.

Cheers

Roman

IMG_6323.JPG

IMG_6324.JPG

1 hour ago, rockeater said:

Thanks for this!

Any chance you could tell me the model number of the DAB+ module?

I am trying to "fix" the Azur 640T tuner for a member who brought his from UK where they use DAB and hence it does not work in Oz where we have DAB+.

Could not find any info on this searching the net for the last 3 hours.

The one that the 640T uses is RS200L module

I know that it will be a pain as it is underneath the FM module but pretty, pretty please.

Cheers

Roman

IMG_6323.JPG

IMG_6324.JPG

sorry RC I sold my unit. so cant comment. I have no idea if the 640T can be converted to a 650T maybe worth checking in with synergy the local agents they can be quite helpful even if uk sourced :)

Thanks for your reply.

Yours is was the only picture of the insides that I could find on the net.

The size and location of pins looks similar so I was hoping to search for the model # from your unit.

I sent a message to to Synergy earlier yesterday. CA in England were disinterested.

Cheers and thx again

Roman

• 1 month later...

• 1 year later...

Hi, not sure if you folks are still interested but I've just had the lid off my 650T (UK model). Looking at the manual (from CA website) it seems that the DAB module in here should handle DAB+ just fine. From page 9:

DAB+
The 650T is compatible with both DAB (MP2 audio compression) and
DAB+ (AAC+ audio compression) broadcasts. A ‘+’ symbol will appear on
the far right of the front panel display when a DAB+ broadcast is being
received.

Anyhow, I also have a question, maybe someone here can help?

My unit stopped working just after being reconnected after a 2-month holiday. As I suspected, when I opened it up the main (FU1) fuse on the power supply board had blown. I've got a replacement fuse on order, but clearly fuses usually blow for a reason...

I've checked all boards for signs of overheating, failed solder joints, electrolyte leakage, foreign bodies, but all looks good. Is there anything else I should check before I power up again?

TIA

Mark

3 hours ago, Marker said:

replacement fuse on order

Is it any special type of fuse that you have to order (rather than just going to Altronics/Jaycar and buying one)?

3 hours ago, Marker said:

Looking at the manual (from CA website) it seems that the DAB module in here should handle DAB+ just fine.

It does.

I have one of them among my components. In fact I still have both: 640T and 650T, the earlier one looking for a new home as a FM tuner (for $50).

The 650T is very good and by that I mean sensitive. I live by the lake which  - naturally - is the lowest place around. It is the only tuner that easily picks up all the stations.

To your problem.

Nothing much that you can do as a user.

Maybe with exception of putting in a fuse 25 or 30% lower value than the original (to start with) to see if it gets blown.

The reason for the failure could have been condensation.

Make sure that before you fire it up again, it is nice and warm.

Cheers

Roman

Hi Roman

Is it any special type of fuse that you have to order (rather than just going to Altronics/Jaycar and buying one)? 

No, it's a standard 20x5mm T2AL. There aren't any shops like that where I live since Maplin folded, sadly. I have to get lots of things by post.

Thanks for the tips!

Mark

Edited by Marker