Sign in to follow this  
wolster

Aus Open Tennis

it's on again. Congrats to Channel 7 for the new streaming app allowing me to keep an eye on Sharapova on the iPad while watching Kyrgios on the big screen.

Talking of Kyrgios, what happened to the enthusiastic likeable kid who beat Nadal last year?

What I am seeing this evening is a cocky young dude slouching around the court as if he is already a super star. Even smashing his racket. I'll be honest. Watching him right now I am finding myself cheering for Delbonis.

Go Kokkanakis!!   Well done in beating Gulbis in 5 sets

Wolster,  as far as Kyrgios goes.  Not sure what the problem is.  He is the same kocky young dude I saw play at Wimbledon and the US Open. Kyrgios breaks raquets all the time during the year, including the US Open

Give the kid a break as he has hardly played recently and has a bad back.

Great match with Kokkinanis!!

Must agree painful watching Kyrgios at times, the gangsta rapper persona grates a tad!  :rolleyes: 

Agreed. brilliant effort by Kokkanakis. Shame he has to play Sam Groth in the next round.

I know Kyrgios was brash last year but tonight he is just plain annoying. Even having a go at the crowd because they aren't supporting him enough.

If he gets through a few rounds, I will reckon he is brilliant again - but maybe not ;)

I was there all day yesterday - a fabulous first day.

Watched Groth smash serves down at 240, and his second serves were between 160 and 193.

To put in perspective, I ran a speed gun at our club Open day on Sunday. Many of our members struggled to get much past 100kmh (with old balls admittedly). The winner of our small comp was a young guy who plays grade 1 - his best was 166, he was hoping to get 180 for his fastest first serve. I stood at the other end and could not cope with his 160s........I understand how hopeless Groths opponent felt. Then again his groundies are a bit one dimensional and over hit at times. I don't expect him to get far because of this.

Saw 'the Kokk' live the last 2 sets. His opponent Gulbis was the better player, the Kokk was lucky the crowd got to Gulbis. It was embarrassing - Aussie sportsmanship at its worst in the crowd. Inappropriate timing of rude comments just as he was serving etc. Sad really. I started to barrack for Gulbis in the end. Exciting match nonetheless

Then moved on to Kyrgios - and yes I agree with you. I walked away and went home to watch the finish (was almost midnight when I got home).

Edited by norpus

What the hell is a hybrid TV? I have a Samsung smart TV connected to the internet and no amount of blue button pressing did anything for this poor jet-lagged boy last night.

The AO every year brings back fond memories and a desire to play again, but the required surgery for knee and shoulder keep me confined to cycling.

This year however the better half won a promotion through her work; player access, women's final, men's final, vip dinners and catering, 2 nights at the Langham, boat transfers etc etc. To say I'm a little bit spoiled and excited is an understatement. Especially on top of the 5 days I'm about to have in Adelaide following the Tour Down Under. Life's good.

Seems that bright Yellow and Orange are the colours of the Australian Open - for the men!  :P

Seems that bright Yellow and Orange are the colours of the Australian Open - for the men!  :P

Yep. Not used to wearing sunnies while watching the tele.

The two Ks are on again now. With the time difference I'm still at work. The 7Sport app works well ;)

Wol ...I have to question your priorities when you have Maria on the little screen and Nick on the big one. :confused:

I did catch some Hopman Cup tennis a few weeks ago. Was Gennies first match and she looked flat and not impressive. I see the jet lag has worn off since. The Czech girl Lucie Safarova looked on fire and showed everyone else up during those matches. Hope she does well at the open.

Would be something to be there when there are 240k serves coming down. 210 seems pretty fast from directly behind the side line.

NFA

Great contest between Kokk and Groth - Even at two sets each!

Groth looks like the kind of guy to have on the door at your kids 21st - tough dude!

Kokkinakis is a dead ringer for a young David Byrne , tragic we have to lose one of these two.

Kyrgios played a much more mature match, excellent result against the 23rd seed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tomic through, played a very composed match. Never liked his attitude much, but with Kyrgios on the scene, Tomic looks like something of a zen-master.

I find it quite amusing

Lleyton Hewitt when he was coming up and even when no1 was pumping his fists and yelling C'mon at inopportune moments.  He was not loved by the Aussie public.   10+ years later he is still as brash as ever yelling C'mon at inopportune moments.

Now everyone loves Leyton.

Tomic gets picked on, now overtaken by the brash ego of Krygios as enemy no1

Reminds of the days when good guy Rafter was much and the Poo was looked down upon by the Aussie public. Quite ironic considering Rafter was a resident of Burmuda to enable him to evade tax, whereas the Poo was an Aussie who paid tax.

I think a lot if people are far to hard on our sports people or maybe they just like complaining, but that's just my opinion.

BTW awesome victories by Groth, Krygios and Tonic and I hope they continue to be themselves.

Edited by metal beat

Just spent the day courtesy of Kia at the women's semis

The 2 finalists were very good, deserving. I hope and expect Serena to prevail

Had opportunity to go to the men's final , but playing golf at Rich River annual tourney this weekend. Oh well, should've great final between joker and Stan I am picking

Just spent the day courtesy of Kia at the women's semis

The 2 finalists were very good, deserving. I hope and expect Serena to prevail

Had opportunity to go to the men's final , but playing golf at Rich River annual tourney this weekend. Oh well, should've great final between joker and Stan I am picking

Joker and Stan are playing in the semi.

Would have liked Berdych to go a bit further but have a soft spot for Murray because he is a Scot.

Was in Scotland and went to a large hotel in the Borders about ten minutes after the Wimbledon final in 2013.  Had trouble getting served amid all the whooping and hollering from the staff.

Serena yet again champion with chronic illness (fever etc) not holding her back!

Without trying to be overly provocative my wife - an accomplished tennis player reckons Steroids are likely to be responsible for Serena's incredible strength equal to the majority of men,(200kmh+ serves)  and suspiciously bulked up physique, make of it what you will but I must admit to harbouring my own thoughts.

Tennis Has a Steroid Problem: Timeline: Serena Williams

This is more than enough talk about Serena.  The roids talk can equally be directed at Nadal. Some if the matches and recovery from injury have been, well inhuman. Cilic winning the US open after being banned for doping.  

Time to look forward to the real tennis.  The men's final between Joker and Murray.

I have a feeling Murray will win or go very very close.

Edited by metal beat

Can't say I've seen any talk - but looking forward to Mens final, agreed.

Keys, a future champion Norps?

NFA

Absolutely NFA, what a backhand. She was off a bit against The Screamer but Venus could not handle it

I had a look at the women's final last night and both girls hit very heavy off the ground, which does auger well for a better spectacle than most women's matches. Serena's power certainly shows up Maria's lack of mobility around the court, something she obviously makes up for with good anticipation against the lesser hitters, but she struggled against the pace of the William's ball.

Looking forward to the men's final tonight and I'd be actually happy to see either man win as long as it is a good close match...............hard to bet against Novak though.

Cheers,

Keith

I had a look at the women's final last night and both girls hit very heavy off the ground, which does auger well for a better spectacle than most women's matches. Serena's power certainly shows up Maria's lack of mobility around the court, something she obviously makes up for with good anticipation against the lesser hitters, but she struggled against the pace of the William's ball.

Looking forward to the men's final tonight and I'd be actually happy to see either man win as long as it is a good close match...............hard to bet against Novak though.

Cheers,

Keith

What do ya expect!

The Williams sisters are built like blokes with real balls....:P

I take my hat of to any other girl on the other side of the net....

Edited by pchan

What do ya expect!

Generally, not much with women's tennis!

I'll leave your other comments alone, thanks. :D

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

i think the other girl (which looks like a normal tall teenager) Vandeweghe has faster serve than Serena. And to be fair to Serena, Sam Stosur physique looks more like a bodybuilder (lower body fat and higher %muscle content) than Serena. So not sure whats going on there... :D. And i don't think you can win Grand Slam with physique only... as it already proved on Stosur.

Edited by henry218

Generally, not much with women's tennis!

I'll leave your other comments alone, thanks. :D

Cheers,

Keith

FYI,

I'm sure you have probably guessed that I like watching the women's tennis, but it's boring when someone continues to win. Love they way some girls grunt, they put the verbal satisfaction in hitting that ball....:P